Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Question about implementing characters

(1/3) > >>

Tesseract:
How can I create a specific creature ? Suppose for example that I want one specific human (say, King Arthur) to exist (or at least have existed during world creation and have a chance to be in the legends) in my world, how would I do that ? I have no idea how modding works, I figure I have to copy the human object in the raw files and do things to it, so how can I specify that one MUST be spawned, but no more than one ? Can I have any effect on the creature reputation ?

Edit:
More questions:
Can I specify it's inventory ?
Can I make it playable in adventure mode ?

Delioth:
I'm pretty sure it's completely impossible to force something to spawn AND make it not spawn more than once. Specific figures are even worse, due to a couple reasons:

* Anything to do with historical figures is NOT in the RAWs (Probably because we'd mess with it and break it.)
* Anything we can influence is just that- we can INFLUENCE, but we can't actually make it happen. It's all procedural.
* Anything in the RAWs is available, and there aren't ways of guaranteeing that something will only happen once. You could generate a world with a new megabeast and it might spawn once... but at the same time it might spawn 17 times, and you have a ton of King Arthurs.
You couldn't specify any inventory, that's generated (actually when you meet them- they technically don't have anything except maybe a named weapon or something until you get close to them in adventure mode. Can't have any effect on reputation, &c. &c.

The only way you'd be able to play as it (or have it work in any sense) would be to make it a race/caste of its own.... a Caste would work best, but then you'd again end up with at least a few of them popping up.

tl;dr- No.

Tesseract:
Ah, I see. Thank you.

Suppose that I accept the possibility of not having it spawned or having a small multiple (I suppose that having only 10 King Arthurs still make it rare enough to meet one), how do I restrict it to a little number ? There are much more goblins than dragons, for example.

Maybe I could make a "great person" creature, having "King Arthur" as a caste, among many others. That way there would be a random number of great persons from a greater pool, thus reducing the probability of having a double.

smakemupagus:
The idea of the procedural world creation in DF is for great historical figures to arise on their own from the mists of history, it's not set up to be seeded with pre-created heros.  So however you make this work may turn out to be kind of a hack solution.

> There are much more goblins than dragons, for example.

Goblins are a common creature within a civilization; dragons are a megabeast.  You could make "King Arthurs" a megabeast.  Then in your next world you might have someone like Joe "Deathbringer the Plougher of Sorrow" Smith the King Arthur arise in a lair near one town, while a less famous Jane Doe the King Arthur lives over the next hill.

Meph:
I have a unique overlord in my warlock mode, but it only works with castes and on your map, not in worldgen. It uses interactions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version