Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Kobold Quest 1.01 Released  (Read 17861 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Kobold Quest 1.01 Released
« on: September 10, 2006, 04:17:00 am »

Kobold Quest

I wrote this over the weekend as stage one of possible DF ports.  I already found one typo in the data files, and more are expected with a rushed release like this.  I've posted it in on the "Known Issues" page if you'd like to fix it.  I'm too tired now to post another version over something that minor.

Also, even if you aren't interested in the source code, you can play the game itself.

[ September 10, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Kobold Quest 1.01 Released
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 04:31:00 am »

Wow, this is a kooky and fun little game.  

I absolutely love the sound effects.   Did you record them yourself?  They're groovy.

"WELL THIS SHOULD BE EASY!!" just reeks of wannabe adventurer.

How exactly will this fit into Dwarf Fort in the future, if that's what it's planned for?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 04:37:00 am »

There was that lengthy linux version thread that had as one possibility somebody porting something like this, which is basically a skeleton of dwarves.  Once the port issues are more clear from this project, then getting the actual thing done should be easier to conceptualize.  That said, I'm not exactly organizing KQ ports here...  nobody actually volunteered to try it out or anything.  In any case, it's up and available to look at, and the license is such that you can do about whatever you want.

If you mean the adventure mode of dwarves, well, kobolds should be more like these.  We've already planned out what we want to do, and it might be the next Future of the Fortress after the towns are improved, though we don't have a schedule.

edit:  yeah, the sound's all me, for better or worse...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 05:00:00 am »

Hahaha.   Even the Kobold sounds?

I'd love to see Kobolds behave like this in Adventure mode.  Having to pick the crawly spiky poisony bugs off you as they're thrown and all.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 05:02:00 am »

Yes...  even those...  I just made about 20 utterances of each type and picked out the best ones.  My throat was sore after the process.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 05:23:00 am »

You're a madman, Toady!  And that's what gives you power, I'm sure.

DungeonHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://home.arcor.de/dungeonhunter/Screens/
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 09:54:00 am »

The game is great, I especially love the highscore list where surprisingly the adventurers are listed and they even have a kill log  :D

How exactly did you create this game? Did you use the same engine and just changed data and scripts or did you change the code of the engine?

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 10:03:00 am »

Okay, so he's in my base killing my german mine ghosts.

But in three different places at once!?

EDIT: Isaac Asimov controls the adventurers?

I guess the "Father" part kind of ruins it though. If only he was still I, Acolyte!

[ September 10, 2006: Message edited by: Frogman ]

bremac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 10:19:00 am »

Looks pretty portable and well-written so far, excepting the example OpenGL code that I've found (blame those lazy tutorial writers for using W32-specific functionality). I have no doubts it can be ported. (Probably ported more easily than I can beat those peasants... grr.    :D

[ September 10, 2006: Message edited by: bremac ]

[ September 10, 2006: Message edited by: bremac ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »

Frogman, that screenshot rules.  It all makes sense now.  I had written that I had killed an apprentice twice in the known issues -- and I remembered writing in my planning notes to "check if the adventurer is already out before using it again".  But...  I never did that.  I think there was a time when I accidentally deleted a planning sentence and then said "oh well, probably a bloat anyway". Woot.  Anyway, after you get rushed by the copies, I don't *think* you'll see them again, so it's not a huge huge huge game breaker.  I could post a fix later once all the main bugs have been found.

To create the game, I used the core files enabler.*, files.*, interface.*, basics.*, init.*, music*.*, parts of game.cpp (and maybe a few others).  Then I copy-pasted the unit file from dwarves and used it to create all the adventurer/kobold/etc handlers.  I ended up writing a lot of code though, all the AI, specific interfaces, and so on, since it's not really set up to add/remove components very nicely.

edit:  I did do the check, but I forgot to remove them from the candidate list.  Okay.

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 01:43:00 pm »

Cool Game.

How about a "wait till an adventurer appears" button?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 01:48:00 pm »

I was thinking of the same thing, since my period-pressing finger was starting to get sore.  But then I started harvesting bugs and moving them to throwing locations and didn't end up needing the turns.  Still, it should be there, I agree.

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 04:28:00 pm »

This game rules. I don't know if you're planning to work on it more, but there's a lot of potential here for additional features- I imagine you could do some fun stuff with the different professions kobolds and adventurers develop, for example.

Good job with the voices, by the way- the kobolds sound just like you would expect kobolds to sound, and the adventurers sound appropriately dickish. "I JUST KILLED YA!" Makes it quite satisfying to take one out...

Aside from the duplicate adventurers bug, the only other issue I ran into is that you can use the mouse cursor to reveal unseen adventurers- their names show up at the bottom if you place the cursor over a square with an adventurer, even if the kobolds don't see them. That seems like something that's not supposed to happen...

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 04:56:00 pm »

I lost a couple of kobolds before I got the hang of it. Also had the pressing-dot is boring thing, but had learnt to cover pits before I learnt to pick up bugs, and well before I found out you could put bugs *in* pits. I guess here is where Toad calls hypocrite on me for being anal about manuals... but I *did* read up to 'the basic idea' before impatience got me.
Perhaps give kobs have a thing or two to do apart from setting traps, in a daily-life kinda way, it'll be less wait-for-intrudery. They're just kobs, not evil masterminds.

X

[Edited for speling]

[ September 10, 2006: Message edited by: X ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 05:04:00 pm »

I wasn't planning to put too much more time into it, since most of the more serious ideas would fit better in dwarves anyway, though I wanted to patch up any bugs at some point.

The mouse hover thing is a bug yeah...  I always forget to test for things like that.

Well, there's no harm in just letting our mouths run anyway, even if I don't do much more with it -- so, you could have something...  kobolds liking shiny things for instance, and something involving that could be a way to build XP in between attacks so that the adventurers level up faster when they kill you (securing you a better score on the list).  You could also add another screen and send off kobs to steal kids or something.  We were thinking about differentiating the kobold/adv types, as Gezol also suggested, but ran out of time.  Also, if you look at the monster raw, you can see that some are arranged kind of like "adventures" -- the evil caliph for instance.  The adventurer has a 20% chance to bumble into (seek out) the harem, and also a small chance to enter the torture room or get attacked by a prisoner.  Expounding on this can make the score list more interesting -- your named caves (all the ones the adventurer has entered) could be the most insignificant part of their journeys.  Just having them arranged as they are is fun too though, because it's kind of neat to notice that usually killing the pirate captain leads to many dead pirates too, and so on.

Pages: [1] 2 3