Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help, Masterwork unborn!  (Read 1122 times)

Kore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Help, Masterwork unborn!
« on: May 18, 2015, 11:36:24 am »

I've been playing different versions of Masterwork for years but I can't get this new, Reborn, version to work (V2.6.0.0)

The Dwarf (and Orcs and Succubi and Gnomes) tabs are blank on the GUI and I don't see the old settings tabs for workshops/furnaces etc. anywhere.
If I start a game, with Dwarves ticked in the Civ tab, generate a world and embark none of the MW content appears in game.
I feel like i'm missing something obvious and I've tried everything I can think of, including re-downloading/installing, but nothing seems to work. I've checked the forum and I don't see this issue mentioned by anyone else.

What am I missing??

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
Re: Help, Masterwork unborn!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:55:12 am »

Well, first - make sure you aren't unpacking Masterwork over DF - duplicate raws can cause all kinds of trouble, or so i've heard.
Second - the GUI in Reborn is begin worked on, and many tabs (like the ones you metioned, for specific civillizations) are begin assembled from scratch, thus most of the settings we know from older versions are no longer there/will be added later.
Third - What do you mean by MW content? The Reborn version has a lot less features, for the time begin, due to heavy "vanillisation" of both the lore and the game mechanics, stripping Dwarves of golems, magic, trading, etc.

Kore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:12:42 pm »

I'm unpacking Masterwork into new, clean, folders so there shouldn't be an issue with the raws.
I suspected the GUI had changed since I last used it...
The MW content I checked for was Guilds and Animals on the embark screen, although I noticed that there were hundreds of 'meat' to choose from on the embark screen. My understanding was that reducing the types of meat was one of the features that couldn't be turned off!

However, maybe I've misunderstood the Reborn version. Is there 2 versions of Masterwork now, the normal and the Reborn edition?

Basically, I want all the usual Masterwork content on DF 0.40.24, is this possible or is it a choice between limited MW content on 0.40.24 and full MW content on 0.34.11??

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 12:21:01 pm »

Bascially, Reborn is going to be the next version of Masterwork, but it isn't finished yet.
The 6.2 isn't going to be updated to 0.40.24, as updating it would be about as much work as rewriting it from scratch.
Some of the features that aren't going back in are due to technical limitations with the new version of DF, particularly with spawn-unit.
A lot of the features that aren't in just aren't complete yet.
Additionally, many of the races are being re-tuned to have a more consistent feel and work better with the DF lore.  This is particularly evident with the Dwarves, who were basically used as a testing ground for new features, so they ended up as a grab-bag of everything instead of having a consistent theme.

I don't think Meph plans on maintaining 2 version of Masterwork, much in the same way Toady isn't going to make any more patches for .34

Kore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:32:24 pm »

Ok, gotcha.
I thought I was going crazy not being able to figure out why it wasn't working.
I'll stick with 6.2 for now then.
Thanks for your help!