Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evil Philosopher: A Threetoe Story  (Read 3468 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Evil Philosopher: A Threetoe Story
« on: April 02, 2007, 02:30:00 am »

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Philosopher: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

wow, that one was great.  i know having universities has poped up on the suggestions board before, but im not sure what the end would be, given the long time it would take them to have an effect.

maybe they would attract more skilled immagrants or children.

interesting use of names to suggest the role in the story.  the philosopher had an evil sounding name, with a goblin follower.  the story would have been very different if he was Niceicus with a bright-eyed young man aiding him.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:16:00 am »

I've not spent much time reading threetoe's stories and analysis, but I here I spent a bit of time. I found very interesting that idea of lying, and thus changing reaction of other characters.

In fact, I had started building an kind of game with caracter exchanging informations with each other, and thus not behaving according to what really IS, but according to what the THINK is. Thus is was quite possible to introduce lies, manipulation...

Well don't expect to see that application because I have never really started that one : it is mainly a concept. And now that I master a bit better programmation, I am stuck in too other, quite simple, games. But that I probably what finish 2 or 3 years !  :)

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

Regarding Fortress mode - Maybe having the Philosopher allows you to set a certain ethical path for your dwarves, out of a few choices? Make your dwarves more capitalistic, ascetic, military or laid-back.

Psitticine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 11:56:00 am »

This made me think about Sid Meier's Colonization.  I remember the thing I really liked about that game was the educational system.  You could assign workers to learn skills from those that already had them, which I found quite entertaining.

An academy for DF would be awesome.  Assign a dwarf (or dwarves) as teachers and select others as students.  All of the above have a new high-priority job ("teach" or "study") and when teachers and student are both working at the school, the student(s) slowly gain skill in whatever it is the teacher is teaching.  Learning speed could be based on the skill of the teacher, so you can choose if it is worth taking that highly trained fellow off the workforce temporarily in order to boost others up to a higher level.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »

I guess this way only military academies would be popular among players. Who needs another legendary worker when 1 legendary worker can typically do nearly all needed work? How about making only House * Representatives and Order of * nobles able to teach at academies but irrespective of their actulal skills?