Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.21.104.21b Released  (Read 16608 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.21.104.21b Released
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 11:41:00 pm »

...the barrel message, though...  who wanted to keep it, and why?  They must have been under some misunderstanding...  I mean, sure, leave it in as an option if someone says they want it for whatever reason, but it doesn't mean anything, does it?

I know that one person a while back thought that it told them to make more barrels, but I'm pretty sure that that is wrong...  As I understand it, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the number of free barrels you have.  It's just produced by random coincidence.

I was under the impression that the message happened because dwarves who plan on putting an item in a specific barrel don't "reserve" that barrel, so another dwarf can cut and reserve it for moving..  causing the first dwarf to give an error when they fail to find the specific barrel they'd been aiming for originally.  It doesn't have anything to do with the number of free barrels you have, and doesn't refer to any event that the player can (or would want to) deal with; that's why I wanted to be able to turn the message off.

You could have a billion free barrels and only two dwarves, and if they happened to focus on the same barrel at the same time, you'd still get the message.  This is more likely than you'd think even with a billion barrels, too, since they're both using the same barrel-selection algorithm and may be coming from the same general position relative to your stockpile.

Or am I wrong?

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 11:53:00 pm »

quote:
animal births  

I dunno about that, for me that message means its time to skin a couple more creatures.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 11:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>
The new profile is obtained from [q], but only if you have a manager.  Then it should be listed under capital P.</STRONG>

Hmm, I see a new line which says:
"Shift + F10: Workshop Profil"

However, I'm unable to bring anything up with those keys (or shift-p).

This was seen in a save-game created from the prior version of Dwarf Fortress, in a game which already had a manager.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »

Are you using your old "interface.txt"?  I added a line in the new version concerning the profile.  The line you can add to your own copy of interface.txt is in file_changes.txt.  If you use custom copies of the file, you can update them easily by adding new lines that you see in file_changes.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 01:55:00 pm »

animal birth announcement is necessary (for me anyway) because i need to know when to cage the new critters (well.. to keep them caged more like as they are born in cages).. to stop them going walkies before i get around to turn them into sausages

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 07:21:00 pm »

Re: Personal Workshops
Toady - I'll take a look when I get home.   I thought that I just copied over my save folder to the new build folder... but I think I may have taken the init folder too, now that I think about it.  

"Last thing before I pass out" generally seems to be a bad time for me to try new builds, I think  ;)

Re: birth notifications.

Why the need to chip in and agree (yes, you ARE agreeing with me) with the births thing?   I explicitly say that "some people do want them" (IE - YOU) - not that "nobody does, turn em off".   You are explicitly agreeing with what I posted - that you (part of "some people") want them.  I never asked for them to cease existing - I asked for the ability for ME to turn off whichever messages that I don't want to see at the moment.

At differing stages of fortress development, I care more/less for different types of messages - I'm sure we all have some messages we just don't care about at times, and I'm sure that we'd all love to be able to turn those off, ourselves, as an OPTION.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 08:09:00 pm »

Yep, that was it, thanks Toady!

I apparently did copy the init folder over, I added the line in the changes text, and Shift-p works like a charm.  

Love the feature!

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 03:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I only kept them because somebody requested it.  I could make them optional or something.</STRONG>

Were you to go down the route of making different message types optional, then would adding combat log be viable?

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »

Going for 2+ days without an update on the dev page makes me really antsy. I can only hope big things are on the horizon when it does get updated...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »

Ideally, I guess you could turn off any message, and they'd all be in files so they could be translated and randomized.  It's spoily as hell perhaps, but I dunno if that's a concern or not.  It's also time consuming.  The issues associated to combat logs are a little more intricate, as we talked about in that thread a while back, at least if you want good combat logs.

You should probably get used to gaps in the dev log.  If you look closely at it, there are some gaps that are a month long.  Right now, I'm preparing to give an exam and I've been at work for ten hours at times, and it's hard to program after that.  Today is another day like that.  If people want me to program + eat + sleep without working a job, they have to pay for it, unfortunately, because I still require food and a place to live, and these things aren't free.  Although donations have been a bit thin lately, I'm considering leaving my job in June and not going for full time work just because I'd kinda rather go out programming than have days like today all the time.  There are also a variety of options in between.  Not the easiest decision in the world, especially when donations don't cover rent any more.  It's an ongoing thought process anyway.

[ September 19, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2006, 03:36:00 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that you have to work so hard, 10 hour days suck. Exams suck too but my college (UW) doesnt even start until Sep 27 so I've got plenty of time to worry about that.

Are you affiliated with Stanford University?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2006, 03:41:00 pm »

I got my math phd from Stanford, and I'm a post-doc at Texas A&M now.  <leaves>

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2006, 04:45:00 pm »

Totally quitting and hoping to make living costs on donations seems like a daft idea... though it would mean you could write "cyberbegger" as your job on forms and shit, which would rock.

X

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2006, 07:05:00 pm »

See, it's that kind of thing that would make it a worthwhile experience.  I'm pretty sure I can't hack the full time lecturer job anyway, if half-time is like this.  It's like...  a job.  And a lot of what I have to do to support dwarves is also like a job.  So that's like...  two jobs, and no programming.  I might as well have stayed a mathematician.  There might be some kind of viable part time options, although I'm not sure what at this point.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2006, 09:24:00 pm »

Well I'm certain a lot of us will do our best to help out!  I know that as soon as I have spare cash I'll do my part.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5