Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.21.104.21b Released  (Read 16630 times)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.21.104.21b Released
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 12:32:00 am »

Tutors get paid a good hourly rate, even more if you become a tutor pimp.  Then you can work on your programming degree, which you will easily get now   :D Dwarves can be your thesis, and then you work on that for a long time again!

ShaneC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2006, 05:04:00 pm »

Any thoughts on when hunting will be improved to the point of being usable?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2006, 07:29:00 pm »

It's hard to say, as usual...  I've just been fixing things when I understand the elements around them and I have a burst of energy in that direction.  A few things about hunting fixes still irritate me, but I think the simple changes to how crossbowman behave might help a bit.  Some of the corpse hauling issues are a bit unclear to me.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006, 05:09:00 am »

Toady, is it worth putting up a monthly donations target? The amount that would keep DF afloat each month? I've seen that sort of thing done on various sites before and I am led to believe it has some sort of psycological effect on people, making them ever so slightly more likely to donate if they can 'see' the effect their donation is having.  Hmm, there is a flip side to that though, in that some people might think their small donation is not worth making.  So a message underneath the target that says "every penny helps" might be needed.

Also, the fact that there's no "thank you" message when you donate could be a bit off putting.  Heck, even if it's automated, it would still go a long way.  I know I felt I had to email you to make sure my PayPal donation had actually gone to the right place, before I would feel comfortable doing it again (payday in a couple of weeks).

Vicious circle, isn't it.  People are more likely to donate as the game develops, but the game needs donations in order to develop.  That sig of yours, the "preserve yours today" is very apt indeed.

Edit:  Start selling DF merchandise through the site.  T-Shirts, mugs, baseball caps...tea-cosies.  Someone made a great sig with a bunch of E's and Dwarves all over each other with the message "In ur base! Killing ur dorfs!"  That'd make a great T-Shirt.  Or a "Legendary Miner" mug.  Anything.

Or have someone make Kobold Quest into a mobile phone game that sells for two bucks or something daft like that.

[ September 21, 2006: Message edited by: JimBadger ]

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2006, 08:50:00 am »

Some of the scenes in the intro movie would make for good captioning and putting on a shirt, though ASCII geekware might be too much.

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2006, 09:42:00 am »

I could go for an enlarged version of the dwarf tile. On a shirt, I mean.

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2006, 10:36:00 am »

I'd buy anything that represented the evil of the grey E's!

weasel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2006, 11:03:00 am »

I'd love to have a shirt that just said 80x25 and maybe had a dwarf icon.

or maybe a shirt for dog lovers "d"

or cat lovers "c"

=)

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2006, 11:11:00 am »

or anything that has messages on it to do with how your other one menaces with spikes of plump helmet, or something.

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2006, 11:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Silleh Boy:
<STRONG>or anything that has messages on it to do with how your other one menaces with spikes of plump helmet, or something.</STRONG>

Lol.  If Toady could manufacture to order, and didn't have to buy stuff in in bulk, this could raise a few bob...Dwarf Fortress mouse mat anyone?

Can I place an advanced order for a mug showing a light brown g, and the words "groundhog has become enraged"?  Thanks.

[ September 21, 2006: Message edited by: JimBadger ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2006, 11:32:00 am »

I haven't talked to Threetoe about this, but in any case:  if I handle things myself, it seems like it opens up a whole framework of potential time sinks and issues.  I know as of many years ago, there were third parties that handled this kind of thing, but are they any good or is it overpriced crap where most of your money is going to overpriced crap rather than supporting the site?  It would probably be annoying to purchase a mug, the 'g' and text are faded or rub off after a week, and then you learn that of the 19.95, 19.90 paid for the mug's production.  Anybody have experience with these things?

Veinless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2006, 11:50:00 am »

I have never used them, but many people use CafePress.
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/makemoney/

You could both be an affiliate, as well as selling your own products there.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2006, 12:00:00 pm »

Anybody seen/purchased items from these guys before?  I've heard of them, anyway.  I don't remember if the rates are reasonable, but that's probably easy enough to check.

Off to administer the fun test to students land.  Fun tests for everybody!

fmunoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wesnoth.org
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »

I have a shop there http://www.cafepress.com/wesnoth
It still have the old drawings used in wesnoth :-) (still pending to update to the new ones, no longer done by me... and way better)
I send a couple of mugs to the game coder (and father) as a wedding gift.. they got them. Also some people got tshirts with no problems so far. IIRC the shop profit is around 10 bucks... in 2 years, never cashed it.

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2006, 01:19:00 pm »

You can certainly get quality mugs from somewhere, I've got one that I've had for 16 years, I've used it just about every day and the writing's never faded.  (Hmm, maybe it's some kind of magic super mug from the planet Krypton though, I dunno).

What about the donation target suggestion?

Oh, and another thing, do you know, and are we allowed to know download figures for the DF releases?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5