Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Red Dust: Interactive Fiction on Mars!  (Read 6817 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Red Dust: Interactive Fiction on Mars!
« on: May 19, 2015, 01:40:33 pm »

Hey guys, you know how I put off SLD to work on a smaller project? Well this is it! I don't have a release version yet, but as soon as I do, it's going in this thread.

In Red Dust, you play as a robot on Mars who has just gained sentience. Of course, this leaves you with many questions, and some, if not all, will be answered during the course of the game. But before you can think about those questions, you'll have to survive the harsh climate of the Martian desert. (Probably not all of them, though, like "What is life?" and "Where can I get a decent sandwich around here?") The finished product will have several different ways for the story to go, and at least 40 different ways to die. It will have a moral choice system without having that annoying moral spectrum thing other games have. I'm not very good at writing these kinds of blurbs, so this text will probably change at several points during development.

If you'd like to be a playtester, let me know! If you want to do some arting for the the game, let me know! If you have any experience with Inform and want to give me tips on how to more efficiently code this beast, definitely let me know, because I am so confused about so many things...

Spoiler: Current Progress (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:10:23 pm by AlleeCat »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Releases
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 01:41:08 pm »

Spoiler: Playtesters (click to show/hide)
RESERVED FOR RELEASES AND STUFFS
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:35:00 am by AlleeCat »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Red Dust: Interactive Fiction on Mars!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:59:22 pm »

I am interested in playtesting when it works~

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:10:09 pm »

oOOOH, this seems neat.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:30:17 pm »

What kind of game is it, exactly? Roguelike? Choose-your-own-adventure?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:25:37 pm »

It's an interactive fiction game slightly influenced by old-school text adventures and the old LucasArts point-and-clicks, and a fair bit of choose-your-own-adventure mixed in.

I was actually influenced quite a lot by Choice of Robots, in that I wanted to make a game where there's no "right" way to play. You can solve puzzles in different ways, and the story will change accordingly. You could, as a hypothetical example, get through a door by destroying it, but what if something dangerous can now get in? You might have to hide from it instead of just locking it out entirely.

MisterMoxxie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 10:35:02 pm »

I actually just posted about the IF game I'm working on! haha what a coincidence. I love the idea you're working with, though! It sounds really interesting. Let me know when you get to the point you need playtesters, I'd love to lend a hand. And as far as advice with Inform, stick to the documentation! It helps a ton. What version are you working in?
Update: 4/5/12 : 9:35 pm
So apparently, this one dwarf is just walking around with a huge, gaping hole in his chest, with a slightly smashed heart, and bleeding absolutely everywhere, and he is PUNCHING OUT ZOMBIES.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 11:01:00 pm »

I would assume the latest version. I didn't pay much attention to the version number I downloaded...

MisterMoxxie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 11:21:08 pm »

I'm relatively new myself. But there are pretty drastic differences between i6 and i7. either way, I'd still say stick to the existing documentation. I've yet to run into an issue that I wasn't able to figure out on my own using that.

Of course it never hurts to ask for help, but I feel more rewarded personally when I can figure things out.

Anyways, good luck! And again, pm me if you need an extra tester.
So apparently, this one dwarf is just walking around with a huge, gaping hole in his chest, with a slightly smashed heart, and bleeding absolutely everywhere, and he is PUNCHING OUT ZOMBIES.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 11:35:20 pm »

I've yet to run into an issue that I wasn't able to figure out on my own using that.
I have. A couple times, actually. But I've never been stuck for too long, because I can mostly look stuff up online.

MisterMoxxie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 11:59:11 pm »

I have. A couple times, actually. But I've never been stuck for too long, because I can mostly look stuff up online.

Hm. You're most likely doing more advanced things that I've yet to get to :p My biggest issue so far has been with trying to write a new definition for the limited conditions of 'starting a fire' in my game.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 12:06:41 am »

Ah, yea. So far the things I've gotten hung up on have been trying to separate the inventory more than the default worn/held, and trying to make something only happen once.
Also, so far I only have 3 rooms in the game, and I've already made it possible to die. I should really keep a little stats spoiler for this stuff. :p

MisterMoxxie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 12:09:57 am »

what're you trying to only have happen once? Something like this usually works

Code: [Select]
Instead of examining the Boockase for the first time:
     Say "As you walk over to the bookcase, a book falls off for some strange reason.";
     The Strange Book is now in the [Whatever Room];

And that will happen only the first time somebody 'examines' the book case. After that, it will just show the normal description of that object.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 12:13:29 am »

Also
Code: [Select]
Instead of examining the Bookcase at least twice:
Say "Just an ordinary bookcase. Nothing special here."
I know how to do it now. I already looked it up earlier today.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 10:43:57 pm »

I'm running into a slightly different problem now, actually. Basically, I have a general "scavenge" command that will bring up different items in different rooms, but I don't know how to make it so that you can only use the command once in each area without including the room in the command.

So basically, what I want to have happen is that the player can just type "scavenge" in any room without typing "scavenge [room]" but only get the item that returns once regardless of dropping it in another room or having it carried or whatever.
Pages: [1] 2 3