Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Statistics  (Read 1117 times)

VengefulPotato

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarven Statistics
« on: May 20, 2015, 07:12:09 pm »

I don't know about you, but I often find myself wondering how many poor, innocent, hairy little people have fallen pray to my poor planning, the onslaught of terrible invaders, or of course, "unfortunate accidents." But not just that. How many times I've abandoned a fort, or crushed a siege, or vanquished a forgotten evil, or slaughtered a kitten. What if there were a way to find out? I propose some kind if dwarven statistics system, DSS for short. I also propose a catchier name.
It would work like this. You sign up for a free account, maybe it would use your bay12forums account. Then, you go into the game's options, and you set "DSS:" to YES. This brings up the optional sign in screen when you launch the game. An internet connection would obviously be necessary, unless there was a way the game could still collect data even when offline, then upload it next time it connects to the internet. Then, after countless hours of grand achievements, leading to inevitable failure, you could check some kind of profile online, and see statistics such as the following projected:
Time in game.
Fortresses founded.
Fortresses abandoned.
Kittens slaughtered.
Drinks brewed.
Goblins beheaded.
Forgotten beasts killed.
Babies lost to snatchers.
Forts elevated to Barony/Duchy etc.
Legendary miners lost to magma.
And so on, and so forth.
Don't forget about the Adventurer stats! I don't personally play that mode, so someone else will have to pitch ideas for that.
Well, that's my suggestion. Thank you for taking valuable time out of your day to read it.

cdru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Statistics
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 03:04:49 am »

Would be nice idea but it would require powerful servers.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Statistics
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:54:32 am »

It would require making a webservice that every time someone's baby got snatched sends a signal to the server who does +1 on the variable: babiesSnatched and puts it in a database. DF is a game that has no conenction to an external server and shouldn't require one, I suggest DF saves it in an XML/TXT file or a local database and projects it ingame. Then you can keep your file across multiple games and stuff. 
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.