Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Star Wars Bridge Crew 2: Escape from Tatooine (Game now live)  (Read 12280 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Bridge Crew 2: Escape from Tatooine (Game now live)
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 10:06:33 am »

"Based on my calculations, there is no need to provide rations to our cargo. Estimates for survival remain acceptable for all plausible delays.

A security breach would pose a bigger threat. I advice the acquiring of a gaseus stunning agent."

Run the numbers on voyage duration and fuel consumption. Since hyperdrive fuel is mentioned in days, does that mean our emergency drive is less efficient?

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 10:08:26 am »

Well buddy, if you can find one of those "gaseous stunning agents", be my guest and spend your creds on 'em.
I do stuff, I guess

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 10:14:19 am »

((Changing color again because Snail stole maroon randomly. GAH.))
The doctor pipes in once again and then puts his hundred credits on the crate that everyone is gathered around
Well since you lot seem to know what to do with them you can deal with the logistics. Just don't go spending it on booze.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 10:16:43 am »

Buy a Stun baton and throw the other 50 creds into the pot towards the buying of a blaster.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 10:38:21 am »

((It's brown. Sorry.))
I do stuff, I guess

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 10:56:52 am »

((It's brown. Sorry.))
((Eh, no problem, I'll just stick with green))

Indeed, I do this.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 11:38:33 am »

A tall redheaded man in a white jumpsuit stayed away from conversations. The guy in early twenties never said a word and failed to  contribute a single credit to the pot.

"I'll go check ship's computers. Hope they are not as shitty as the rest of the freighter and we will not need to buy spare parts"

Check available computer system(s)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 05:30:09 pm »

Turn Update

The doctor pipes in once again and then puts his hundred credits on the crate that everyone is gathered around
throw the other 50 creds into the pot towards the buying of a blaster.

Dr. BFEL and Ghazkull decide to pool funds and contribute 150 credits to a communal pot. Unfortunately since all your money is on electronic credsticks rather than in the form of physical currency, it's a little difficult to literally put it into a pile. Since BFEL is offering to put all of his money into the pot, you compromise by transferring 50 credits from Ghazkull's credstick to BFEL's, with the understanding that the whole amount will be used for the common good.

"I'll pick up a Medpack,"
Buy a Stun baton.

Ghazkull and Zenzetkuken head to the market kiosks and buy a stun baton and a medical kit.

The stun baton is two feet in length and comes with a  loop to secure it to your wrist. It also comes with a brief instructional pamphlet that can basically be summarized as "don't touch that end unless you want to be zapped." Though it does also note that some races are more resistant to shock, and when attempting to subdue those races it's recommended to apply the baton to more sensitive body areas and for a longer duration.  Hopefully if you need to subdue any Gamorrean, they'll wait politely while you hold the baton on them. Though if you'll be using it on the slave girls, Twi'lek's have notoriously sensitive lekku (brain tails) and even a brief contact should be enough to ensure submission. Unfortunately, the baton seems to require a standard power cell, and doesn't come with one. The merchant selling the batons offers them for 10 credits each.

The medkit contains a simple medi-sensor, an irrigation blub for wound cleansing, a reusable hypospray and various small bottles of antiseptics, blood coagulants, painkillers and synthflesh for small wound closure and healing. It's a little bulky to carry in your hands, so for your convenience the merchant making the sale gives you a small cheap plastic bag to carry it in. Upon returning to the ship, Dr. BFEL looks over the contents of the medkit and nods approvingly. It contains nothing to assist with surgury or immobilizing bone fractures, but it contains everything needed to provide first responder wound treatment.

Snail buys a fire extinguisher and a glowstick along with another 5 sets of rations.

Snail also goes to the kiosks and buys a glowrod, a fire extinguisher and some food.

The fire extinguisher is a standard chemical model that works by smothering a fire and starving it of oxygen. It's suitable for most fires you'd be likely to encounter on a starship. The merchant selling it also offers you a nice wall mounting bracket for 5 credits more.

The glowrod is as simple model with a convenient handle with an on/off switch at the thumb. The instructional pamphlet that comes with it claims that it will provide 24 hours of light on a single charge. Like Ghazkull's stun baton, it also requires a standard small power cell, and doesn't come with one.

Finally, Snail proceeds to a kiosk with a merchant selling sealed ration packs. For 25 credits he buys 5 person/days worth of food, and like Zanzetkuken he also receives a cheap plastic bag to carry them in. Including the 10 that are in ship's food locker, that brings your total to 15. There are nine of you, and since Ebbor's a droid, he won't eat. So almost two days worth of food.

"Based on my calculations, there is no need to provide rations to our cargo. Estimates for survival remain acceptable for all plausible delays."

Run the numbers on voyage duration and fuel consumption.

Ebbor assures everyone that the trip will be short enough that there's no reason to worry about provisions. He then goes to check how long the trip will take.

Two jumps. From Tatooine to the Corellian run, then to Ryloth. 7980 light years. Doing the calculations, Ebbor concludes that if your ship had a standard hyperdrive the trip would take only 1 day, 3 hours and 14 minutes. But with a class 3 hyperdrive the trip will take three times as long: three days and nearly ten hours.

You have enough fuel to get there with extra to spare. But not enough to get back.

Also, while running the calculations you notice that the Nav data is 34 days old. That's not a huge problem, but the recommended standard update cycle is once every 30 days. Though even on the 30 day schedule, the amount of new data in an update is typically such a small percentage of the total nav data that you're not even sure how many decimal places it represents. You're not immediately concerned about it, but it's something to be aware of.

Since hyperdrive fuel is mentioned in days, does that mean our emergency drive is less efficient?

Yes, which is a potential concern. Hyperdrive speeds are rated as a simple multiplier of the base "standard" transit time, and fuel use is the same for any given amount of time spent in hyperspace regardless of the rating of the drive. Given an identical course, a class 2 hyperdrive will take twice as long and therefore use twice as much total fuel as a class one hyperdrive. A class 3 would take three times as long and use three times as much. A class 12 would take twelve times as long and use just as much fuel every one of those days as a class 1 hyperdrive would need to make the entire trip in one day. Given your current course will take three days, ten hours with your class 3 hyperdrive, it would take thirteen days, 16 hours using the backup class 12 drive.

Given your current provisions, if your primary hyperdrive were to irrepairably fail halfway, it's doubtful that you'd have either enough food or fuel to finish the trip. Of course, the food is only a problem for the meatbags. You being a droid would simply plug into the ship to recharge when needed. While hyperdrive uses a large amount fuel, the ship's electrical systems run off of a battery array with enough charge to keep yourself and the ship running for months, if need be. You check the battery. Yes, at least a month worth of power.

But then, it's not like the meatbags would instantly die if the food ran out. So long as you could reach any inhabitable planet with the backup drive before your fuel ran out, they'd be ok simply drinking recycled water from the ship's storage tank. Out of curiosity, you check that too. It's empty. Well, worst case they could eat each other. They could pick lots, and the blood from one of them could be run through the filtration systems to provide enough sustenance to last the rest of them a couple days. Possibly indefinitely, since the recycling system would reclaim waste water from the refreshers and turn it into drinkable water again. So only one of them would need to die. That's encouraging.

Actually, can't humans survive a couple days without water anyway? You think so, but they're such frail creatures. You might want to ask them about that.

Check available computer system(s)

Ukranian Ranger heads to the bridge. It's a bit disconcerting walking over the escape pod access panels on the way. The system is probably safe, but it occurs to you that if an escape pod was used and the access door were to fail to close, it would leave that section of the ship exposed to vacuum, cutting off access between the bridge and the rest of the ship.

Of course, if people are using escape pods presumably you'd have bigger concerns than worrying about that particular system failing. But it does seem poor design.

Powering up the ship, starting a basic self test and taking a look around, you're put slightly at ease. The hardware is a couple decades old, but it appears to be a standard CEC shipboard computer that probably came with the ship. It also appears strangely unused. No data files, no logs, no...oh. According to the timestamps, the system software was installed fresh only two days ago. Only the Nav system has any data, and that looks like an old Navchart database from...34 days ago?

Shipboard computers are crucial systems that can't be allowed to fail. CEC hardware is notoriously reliable, and the system includes a firmware backup that can be used to restore the software to factory defaults in the unlikely event of failure. From what you're seeing, you'd guess that the Hutts had a nav backup made, then wiped the memory and restored it to default, then reloaded the old Nav data. If their goal was to clean the system and make the ship presentable, it's a little odd that they saved and restored that old data rather than downloading a more current data set from the Bureau of Ships and Services. But, if the goal wasn't to make the ship "nice" and instead remove sensitive data so that nobody else could retrieve it, but nevertheless keep the ship functional, and to do all this as quickly as cheaply as possible...that'd be the way to do it.

What do you do?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2015, 05:40:19 pm »

Well the numberbot crunched things down and its not pleasant, looks like we might have to find ways to make credits on the way or when we get there just to have fuel for the return trip.

Indeed, I do this.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 12:12:25 am »

"You know, guys. I think we should sell those escape pods can be sold for a scrap for some nice cash or disassembled for parts. Right now they are nothing but security risk"
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 12:23:16 am »

"You know, guys. I think we should sell those escape pods can be sold for a scrap for some nice cash or disassembled for parts. Right now they are nothing but security risk"
If the ship explodes then we're all dead meat anyhow. Why not? I say let's do it.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 01:24:12 am »

Turn Update

I think we should sell those escape pods can be sold for a scrap for some nice cash or disassembled for parts.[/color]

Ukranian Ranger makes inquiries at the hangar facilities desk and after ten minutes of waiting manages to talk to a tech who's willing to inspect your ship. After taking a look he offers 50 credits per escape pod, 150 for all three. He points out, however, that at present it's only a simple lever that opens each of the escape pod access doors. With the pods themselves removed, those doors would open to space. He offers to disable the levers and weld the doors closed at no additional charge, and says it will probably take two hours to get the job done.

Why not? I say let's do it.

Mechanic: "Ok, just need a copy of your ID and one of you to sign this contract."

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 03:46:27 am »

Sorry, but I'll have to spend my cash on the things to make the emergency stuff work probably.

Snail turns away and goes to buy a power cell and a wall bracket for the extinguisher, leaving someone else to sign the contract.
I do stuff, I guess

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 07:18:42 am »

Dr. BFEL signs the contract, and asks the nice tech if he managed to pass that stone alright ((Is it ok to make him a former patient? Will change if not.))

Indeed, I do this.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2015, 07:30:54 am »

Buy 70 credits worth of water rations
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5