Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To fall skywards  (Read 982 times)

DwarfCon5

• Bay Watcher
  • Over and Under
    • View Profile
To fall skywards
« on: May 21, 2015, 12:09:42 pm »

I want to know if it is possible for someone(more knowledgeable than me) to change the gravity so everything falls into the sky and the only way to not die is to be inside or underground.

I want to make a levitating power and deactivate it when things get really high so they drop back to earth and become destroyed, though the biggest factor to this would be a singular levitation or mass levitation. If it is even possible to reverse gravity, how to localize it or maybe it affects everything on screen.

Rhys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To fall skywards
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 03:28:06 pm »

From what I know thats totally impossible.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 03:38:23 pm »

Impossible I'm afraid, unless there's dfhack witchery involved somehow, and even then something like this may be a push.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:40:10 pm »

As far as I know, the only thing that gravity actually affects in this game is cave-ins. Nothing follows a parabolic trajectory when it is thrown or anything.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:49:38 pm »

Yes, actually objects do follow parabolic trajectories, that was part of the minecart addition.

And to answer OP's question, to the best of my knowledge, no, there is NO WAY to do this currently.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 03:58:38 pm »

The closest you could get would be to teleport all the objects and creatures into the sky using dfhack

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:55:16 am »

The closest you could get would be to teleport all the objects and creatures into the sky using dfhack

This was what I was thinking as well. Roses' has made a few scripts to make custom spells like this a lot easier to use. :)
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 01:35:46 am »

Roses propel script and the launch script Rumrusher and I hacked out of it can do this to various extents.

Propel does it properly in fortress mode with various arguments and options, launch only works right in adventurer mode as far as I know and it just aims stuff at the cursor so selecting an action on a target makes them your current hunt target and then moving the cursor to the sky and running the script will give them velocity of the z different between them and the cursor * 10000.

If you wanted to make the script work off a given trigger and give a certain velocity to anything in a certain location I don't see why it wouldn't be possible in fortress mode for an "anti-gravity springboard" effect.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 01:38:01 am by Max™ »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 03:00:27 am »

You can totally do that. Just use interaction with CAVE_ADAPTION counter in combination to indigofenix slam or roses propel script.

Creature walks outside, counter is set to 0, creature uses interaction, interaction-trigger runs the dfhack script, BAM!, creature is airborne.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::