Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I get the surface of a lava caldera or lake to s  (Read 16356 times)

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I get the surface of a lava caldera or lake to s
« on: December 01, 2007, 12:01:00 pm »

I tapped into the lava caldera safely a few levels underneath the surface and filled up a channel, then shut the floodgate off. My issue is that it has been several years since I opened the floodgate and at least one year since I closed it, and the top level of the caldera is solid 5's except for a ton zig-zagging 4's always in a diagonal pattern, sometimes switched diagonal pattern directions and also direction of movement across the lake. My one-wide channel is also not stable, flashing 6's and 5's all along its length.

Is there any way I can get these two separate reservoirs (the channel and the caldera, which are now not connected) to stop fluctuating? I'm around 30-35 fps (143 dwarves) which is fine, but I'm expecting at least a small boost when these fluctuations halt.

[ December 01, 2007: Message edited by: FFLaguna ]

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get the surface of a lava caldera or lake to s
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 12:41:00 pm »

It will never even out on its own, since the amount of magma in there won't divide evenly into 7ths.  If you can get above them, you can cut channels adjacent to them, thus providing extra space for them to hopefully even out, or at least get as close to even as possible.  Alternately, you could cut a channel from the top of the caldera to a cliff of a large internal space you've created.  All the magma from the top layer will drain off, leaving the second layer all even 7s.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 01:02:00 pm »

You should be able to do it with a little math. Pause the game and count the total amount of magma on the top layer. Probably want to count a couple times just to double-check yourself.
Once you know the exact amount of magma on the top layer, count the number of squares that the magma is currently filling on the top layer. Probably want to double-check that, too.
Armed with that knowledge, find a number that is greater than the number of squares the magma is currently occupying that divides evenly into the total amount of magma, and dig enough channels on the top layer to provide exactly that much space.

That's probably a confusing statement, so here's an example:

You have a magma vent which you've already drained off part of lower down. There are 33 squares on the top layer containing 158 units of magma. If you dig 46 tiles of channel connected to the top magma layer, the magma will eventually even out at 2/7 in each of the 79 squares.

The problem comes when you get a prime or near-prime number for the units of magma. You might have to start adding additional layers into the calculations at that point.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »

You can also harden the top of the magma vent with water and open an obsidian mine.