Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Your first experience with fun  (Read 9492 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Your first experience with fun
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 10:48:33 pm »

I don't really see how that analogy applies at all. Sitting in the bleachers while your team loses implies you aren't even playing the game. Losing in Dwarf Fortress feels more like you're playing the sport while your team loses and you're having fun because you're making your opponents pay and work hard for their win.

You aren't, and that's my point.  OK, so maybe coach is a better analogy, but even then, you're only in charge of training.  All you really do is point the dwarves at the enemy, and wait to see what limps back.  Worse, every fight generally tends to wind up the same.  I just don't find it interesting. 

If I'm building some elaborate mega-construction, however, it's as entertaining as I can make it. 

Hence, I tend to have more fun making a hyper-spiker hall, and tricking goblins or FBs into running down it to just letting the standard military do it.  To go further, there's a bit of a thrill to "flying without a net", and not having a backup military at all.  (I've had a few scares where I had to abandon fortress sections.  I prefer not to use central staircases so that I can enact intra-fortress lockdown to abandon sections of fortress if I mess up and blind cave ogres hit one of the living pods until it can be purified by magma.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Artichaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 01:15:50 am »

This was with my first fortress. I made a mistake with the food stock and had regular lack of food. Then a ranger with a steel crossbow go berserk in the meeting hall. He bashed 11 dwarves and 3 dogs to death until a miner mined his head with a pick. There were around 10 survivors.

Soon after my first goblin siege arrived. 8 goblins against 2 militia with wooden weapons and no traps.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 04:52:54 am »

My first real experience with fun was a combination of badgerstorm and a wild moose rampaging through my fortress.

I tried to harness the power of the badger, but to no avail.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 07:58:49 am »

I love how all the stories are like what you hear before you start playing. I'm still waiting with my current fortress for something to happen. It even glitched because according to the wiki I should've been offered to be a barony and it hasn't happened even though I have 120 people, more than 0.5 million created wealther, nearly 20k exported wealth and almost 100k imported.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 08:01:18 am »

Maybe your civ's dying... not much happeneing for me with 3 million created wealth in 3 years, 120 people as well, and 200k exported ::). !!FUN!! is more about how you make your worlds, I'm afraid.
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 08:51:20 am »

My first real experience with fun was a combination of badgerstorm and a wild moose rampaging through my fortress.

I tried to harness the power of the badger, but to no avail.
Aye, badger power is just too much power to control

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 09:00:32 am »

Maybe your civ's dying... not much happeneing for me with 3 million created wealth in 3 years, 120 people as well, and 200k exported ::). !!FUN!! is more about how you make your worlds, I'm afraid.
The wiki said there's a glitch and the liaison may not offer the barony thing, in which case I should try to make the caravan leave before the mayor and him can talk and that might fix it. I'll see it next year because he just left. Also the thing I'm annoyed about is more that no one even tried to attack my fortress. No thieves, no sieges, no beasts. Tte most action I had was that I sent my squad to kill 4 giraffes who I think got away (except for one which got caught in a cage trap and is now a war giraffe) and 2 lions later but they did nothing to my squad so I had two lions butchered. Oh, also my giraffe killed a mongoose.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 09:53:51 am »

If you're bored, open all three cavern layers. Then just dig adamantine, if you're still bored.
One wheel short of a wagon

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2015, 10:02:56 am »

The wiki said there's a glitch and the liaison may not offer the barony thing, in which case I should try to make the caravan leave before the mayor and him can talk and that might fix it. I'll see it next year because he just left. Also the thing I'm annoyed about is more that no one even tried to attack my fortress. No thieves, no sieges, no beasts. Tte most action I had was that I sent my squad to kill 4 giraffes who I think got away (except for one which got caught in a cage trap and is now a war giraffe) and 2 lions later but they did nothing to my squad so I had two lions butchered. Oh, also my giraffe killed a mongoose.

In the new version, goblin sieges are no longer guaranteed, really.  My current fort, I embarked before realizing that goblins were extinct (and I'm on a embark without iron, too!) so I pretty much have to antagonize elves if I want to have anyone to murder.  (The jerks stopped brining logs and seeds, too! There isn't even a point in letting them live, anymore!)

Oh well, at least I used worldgen settings to increase the number of Titans.  That'll never want for interesting challenges.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2015, 10:05:51 am »

I'll never forget the first time I took too much candy and visited the circus.  I had NO idea that this was possible, and the circus utterly obliterated my Mountainhome from within, slaughtering and burning everything like hell itself was pouring up through my fortress.

It put a smile on my face for days.

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »

I'll never forget the first time I took too much candy and visited the circus.  I had NO idea that this was possible, and the circus utterly obliterated my Mountainhome from within, slaughtering and burning everything like hell itself was pouring up through my fortress.

It put a smile on my face for days.
Oh, that sounds great :D
Finally a golbin siege happened but I expected a lot more. 10 goblins came, 8 was killed by my 10 men squad and 2 were caught in cage traps. I only lost 2 people, and found out that there's no reason to have a moat because the dwarves take a long time to pull the lever, and if it's raised enemy forces will just wander around the map attacking wild animals.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2015, 01:27:49 pm »

I went through a few forts where I just got bored and flooded the place or something. Then I made a fort with a theme. The theme was HAMMER IS GOOD. Everyone had a masterwork silver hammer. The noble positions got custom job titles related to hammers - book keeper was "Hammer Counter" and mayor was "Anvil." Stuff like that. Soldiers got the nickname "Hammer" and captains were "Greathammers." When the fort has made entirely of Expert to Legendary skill hammerdwarves, I went after some candy and saw the clowns. "Hah," I thought. "I have 200 skilled hammerdwarves in at least partial armour, mostly in full plate. I have a warm of war dogs supplemented by war wolves and giant war bears. I have pulverised forgotten beasts and laid waste to armies of goblins. What challenge could this possibly be?"

And that's how I found out that giant, inorganic [NOSTUN] [NOPAIN] creatures laugh in the face of warhammers.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2015, 05:20:40 pm »

I had a 13z level cliff, but for some reason the drinsk ran out. I couldn't figure out why people were thirsty. It turns our the river was on top of the cliff, and i failed to realize it.  80/100 dead dwarves later, the survivors rush to the river to drink.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 04:31:03 pm »

My first fortress, in DF 2010. My Fortress was on the border between a region with aquifer and one without. I accidently dug out some downward stairs on the aquifer level from below. Result: Most of my fortress was flooded, attempts to seal it up were futile.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2015, 06:29:53 pm »

This is probably the worst version I can remember for new players. Without annual sieges you aren't really building a fortress, it's just sort of a place for dwarves to live.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6