Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

How do you organize your refuse stockpile to minimize mi

<< < (8/8)

slink:

--- Quote from: Jopax on February 03, 2010, 06:33:40 am ---Well seeing that i still cannot understand how to exactly mark only bones on a stockpile or that it will accept everything but bones i have decided for a somewhat larg room near the entrance, built a corridor two doors and viola, dwarves don't get miasma stuck in their beards(except when they enter the room just as the horse starts to decompose)

--- End quote ---

Use q to look at the stockpile.  Use s to look at the settings on the stockpile.

1.  To make a no-bones stockpile, go to Type and then hit Enter over "bones".  Do the same for "skulls" and "shells".  Now everything but those three types is highlighted.

2.  To make a bones-only stockpile, go to Type and hit f for forbid all.  Then hit Enter over "bones", "skulls", and "shells".  Now only those three types should be highlighted.

Antalia:
I'm setting up a miasma-free indoor refuse pile thanks to your ideas, but I have a question.

--- Quote from: Shadowlord on December 02, 2007, 02:05:00 pm ---<P>1. Dig out everything.
2. Place doors.
3. Designate stockpiles in the halls for bones/shells/skulls.
4. Designate a stockpile over the whole thing, which will only really be placed on the 1x1 tiles behind doors, since all other space is already occupied by a stockpile or doors. This second stockpile accepts all refuse except bones/shells/skulls.
5. Set the bone/shells/skulls stockpiles to take from the regular refuse stockpiles.<P>

--- End quote ---
How does step five help?  I've never understood the Take from Stockpile option.  Currently my dwarves go and get bones from my (currently outdoor) refuse pile and bring them indoors to my bone pile, without my having set up any Take from Stockpile.  Is the "Take" command redundant then?  Or does it speed up the process somehow?
Thanks =)

Gara-nis:
If there's a chasm on the map, I dump everything in there... if there is no chasm, I dig a hole to the bottom z-level and channel all the way down and build an atom smasher at the bottom. Then everything gets dumped in the hole. Usually I put the hole near my central stair so it is easy to get to...

Swivelguy2:

--- Quote from: Antalia on February 03, 2010, 09:43:46 am ---I'm setting up a miasma-free indoor refuse pile thanks to your ideas, but I have a question.

--- Quote from: Shadowlord on December 02, 2007, 02:05:00 pm ---<P>1. Dig out everything.
2. Place doors.
3. Designate stockpiles in the halls for bones/shells/skulls.
4. Designate a stockpile over the whole thing, which will only really be placed on the 1x1 tiles behind doors, since all other space is already occupied by a stockpile or doors. This second stockpile accepts all refuse except bones/shells/skulls.
5. Set the bone/shells/skulls stockpiles to take from the regular refuse stockpiles.<P>

--- End quote ---
How does step five help?  I've never understood the Take from Stockpile option.  Currently my dwarves go and get bones from my (currently outdoor) refuse pile and bring them indoors to my bone pile, without my having set up any Take from Stockpile.  Is the "Take" command redundant then?  Or does it speed up the process somehow?
Thanks =)

--- End quote ---

In this case, his step 5 was totally redundant. If you have your refuse stockpile set to not include bone/skull/shell and you have a separate bone/shell/skull pile, those items will be moved after they decay without any further action.

Jopax:
Wow, never tought of using enter, it would just be allow all or forbid all for me before, this opens up some new ideas :D
Thanks slink

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version