Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a question about reactions and entities  (Read 1891 times)

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
a question about reactions and entities
« on: May 22, 2015, 06:21:22 pm »

Okay I am trying to add a reaction to a vanilla workshop (tanner) to the the dwarf, succubus, gnome, and kobold civs. I got the dwarfs working with the reaction just fine but the other civs doesn't act like the reaction permitted token hasn't been called in their respective entity files, so what am I doing wrong. here is the information:
running masterwork reborn v.006
excerpt from entity_savage_kobold.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
excerpt from reaction_kobold.txt
excerpt from entity_slayer_succubus.txt
excerpt from reaction_succubus.txt
excerpt from entity_good_dwarf.txt
excerpt from reaction_dwarf_civ.txt
etc...

I have tried create new world and only the dwarfs reaction works/shows up in the tanner. any help is much appreacated
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: a question about reactions and entities
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 06:53:20 pm »

Don't keep adding multiple reactions with the same name to different files (reaction_kobold.txt, reaction_succubus.txt,  reaction_dwarf_civ.txt);  That's quite wrong.  Each reaction name in the whole kaboodle needs to be unique regardless of whether it's in a different file.  Also, if it's the exact same reaction, there's no reason for you to be trying to make it more than once.

The existence of different files full of reactions is purely for organizational purposes.  As far as the game is concerned it could be one file or a thousand, is interpreted the same way.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 07:11:46 pm »

well I first had the reaction just in reaction_other.txt but it still only had the dwarfs using the reaction unless the [PERMITTED_REACTION:TAN_A_SHELL] also for some reason can only be called once. It seems with the information that you just told me that the issue is on the permitted reaction side of things, I can upload the full txt files to either code or dffd if needed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:19:23 pm by Dramegno »
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 07:15:00 pm »

You just need the actual reaction in one file. The permissions seem to need to be separated or masterwork put in some code in each text. Cause, I can use the warlock permissions with succubus but they need to be in the succubus file to make them work with the succubus.

In any case, your issue is probably that except for dwarves might be different...but from what I understand, you can't add custom items/reactions to vanilla workshops. Did I understand that wrong? Pretty sure that was what I was told.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 07:25:10 pm »

vendayn,  Meph has added all kinds of custom reactions to the non hard coded vanilla workshops which are about half of the workshops in the game.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 07:29:12 pm »

Hm, it might be some of them that don't.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138897.780

Post by smakemupagus said most vanilla workshops don't accept custom reactions. Maybe meph was able to do more with the files, or maybe the poster was misinformed.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:00:51 pm »

Well Vendayn like I said in the original post I can get it to work for the dwarfs just fine it is the other civs that I am having issues with.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 09:01:09 pm »

Hm, it might be some of them that don't.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138897.780

Post by smakemupagus said most vanilla workshops don't accept custom reactions. Maybe meph was able to do more with the files, or maybe the poster was misinformed.

I said are you sure the particular vanilla workshop you were trying to modify accepts custom reactions? -- only about 6-8 of them can.  The list is somewhere* on wiki.

* http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Reaction#Building

Apologies if i was unclear before!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:03:36 pm by smakemupagus »

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 09:37:50 pm »

okay I found out my problem, and I feel silly....
I am quite embarrassed. thank you smakemupagus and Vendayn for your help. I will upload the files to dffd and post them in the masterwork reborn thread here for people to use if they want to.