Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stumpwood  (Read 898 times)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Stumpwood
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:08:52 pm »

A fictitious plant/fungis that is extremely tough and rooty, giving it a stump-like quality. It grows below (and possibly above) ground in the shape of a large fat cyprus knee or resembling a dome like stalagmite.

It is distinguished from its counterparts in that it only requires 1 z-level of space to grow though older larger versions can grow up to 2 z levels. It produces less wood than its counterparts, however (and possibly has a longer growing cycle).

The reason for suggesting this: I felt there was a need for a more simple underground tree farm, and stumpwood allowed for it. There might be other ways of simplifying tree farming, but I thought this would be the best way without having to add any new mechanics (hopefully).

Side notes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another possibility would be to make stumpwood a growable crop, but I shy away from that idea. Can you imagine growing a field of stumps? It would be every farmers nightmare.

This is just a suggestion. Name and aspects of the wood can be changed to better suit the desires of others, namely Toady and his brother, this is their game after all. Or, if no one is interested in this idea, left to be forgotten in the eternal abyss that is the suggestion forum.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Stumpwood
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 02:51:09 pm »

It's an interesting idea, but I'm fairly sure that all the fictional plants are eventually going to be done away with in favor of procedural generated plants. Besides, isn't this the sort of thing that could just be modded in by someone RAW-savvy?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:07:41 pm »

It's an interesting idea, but I'm fairly sure that all the fictional plants are eventually going to be done away with in favor of procedural generated plants. Besides, isn't this the sort of thing that could just be modded in by someone RAW-savvy?

I thought about modding it in as well, but as I mentioned above this has more to do with the balancing of tree farming. I felt instead of making a thread called "Balance tree farming Toady!" I'd create a thread that suggested a possible solution to what I think is a problem. I believe it would help players with the learning curve in the game and creating less work for him at the same time. If others think tree farming is fine just the way it is, then I'm okay with that too. It was just a suggestion. If people have other suggestions on improving tree farming, those are welcome as well since it would achieve the same goal. It's not that I want a plant called stumpwood specifically, just the ideas that it entails.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 04:12:52 pm »

It produces less wood than its counterparts, however (and possibly has a longer growing cycle).
Isn't that already only 1 log for fungi? I think that needs fixing.

Maybe we could just cut trees when they're small for a little bit of wood. Add a 1-z (solid) stage between sapling and multi-z trees.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:25:44 pm »

Maybe we could just cut trees when they're small for a little bit of wood. Add a 1-z (solid) stage between sapling and multi-z trees.

An excellent suggestion. As long as Toady is up for it, I am. +1