Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Magma chanelling.  (Read 12913 times)

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma chanelling.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shooer:
<STRONG>Y
I don't "Channel" my magma, I mine out it's path and then break into it with a channel from the floor above.</STRONG>

You only channel to: A) provide workshop's access to the corridor below, and B) remove the last tile and break into the magma such that your miner isn't insta-killed by molten rock.

Other than that, a steel grate or a twisty tunnel(if you don't have steel/iron) keeps the critters out.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sphr:
<STRONG>
But say, don't iron melt?? I've always splurged on steel bars instead, as I thought only steel stays solid in magma.</STRONG>

I'm not too sure that the melt code works as advertised, currently. I has a felsite forge with an iron anvil for two years, didn't affect it at all. My andersite fortification barriers likewise were still solid despite being soaked in 7/7 magma for that same length of time. I have temperature on, so either things take a very long time to melt or the melt code doesn't work.

I replaced the 3 forges when I got a delivery of steel from a human caravan. Now I have 3 steel-block forges with steel anvils.  :D

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 07:46:00 pm »

I'm just wondering all the calamities that would happen if Toady put cave-ins, magma pressure, and magma melting into the game all at once, without causing enough change to force a new world generation.

Eek...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Skanky:
I replaced the 3 forges when I got a delivery of steel from a human caravan. Now I have 3 steel-block forges with steel anvils.   :D[/QB]

AFAIK, Steel !> Iron. What type of anvil/forge you have doesn't seem to make any difference, so there's no real point in having a steel anvil/forge. Unless you're just doing it for the sake of aesthetics, but I personally can think of better things to use good steel on..

;)

Pages: 1 [2]