Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712]

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1412554 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #10665 on: October 22, 2019, 02:30:24 pm »

I have a cross post between "Face Palm" and "What's going on?" threads.
I'm more worried whether I have sufficient drainage when I flip the second lever to power up the misty waterfall in the temple. My engineers say it'll be fine, but that's what they said about the waterwheel sluice, too.

From the conclusions of the Soggy Aftermath Committee: "Real time flow readings from the outlet show that the drain was working as predicted and could have accommodated more. It was the pump stack that was overpowered, spraying water well beyond the containment radius of the waterfall feature."

I've just experienced a practical lesson in how pressure puts water in the 'dorfy nearest' tile, and NOT in the downmost available tile. The inadvertent good news is that the inlet also had less pressure from the brook than anticipated, due to my same misapprehension farther upstream. The two failures partially cancelled each other and made it a very slow flood.

TheCrimsonDM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: October 31, 2019, 08:08:02 am »

Spent the past two or three years in game trying to make axes so someone would cut down some trees on the surface. Still had plenty of wood so it wasn't a big concern, but it was weird that no one would cut down a single tree so I could build a surface tavern. Lo and behold I realize that not a single dwarf had the wood cutting skill enabled because my only wood cutter died in a temple brawl years ago... needless to say, I had my facepalm moment.

At least i have a lot of axes now...

KaleNipClaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: October 31, 2019, 07:37:30 pm »

I ordered a dwarf to dig a lone, post-channeling wall. It was load-bearing, of course. There was blood. Thankfully I have a medical dwarf. Not-so-thankfully, that dwarf is also my cleaner.
I am a mutant dwarf, it's official.

KaleNipClaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: November 05, 2019, 02:39:52 am »

Okay, so I am officially the worst Overseer ever. I embarked in an evil Tundra, and some Profane Ash drifted by. Yeah, the stuff that zombifies and kills. I didn't reactivate the Civilian Alert. Everyone died. Fun in a couple of days.
I am a mutant dwarf, it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712]