Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842689 times)

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14025 on: June 20, 2011, 02:43:34 pm »

Well, I kinda meant to imply that the dragon killed everyone before they could touch the spire.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14026 on: June 20, 2011, 03:26:51 pm »

Well, I kinda meant to imply that the dragon killed everyone before they could touch the spire.

in df to imply is never what it seems to be.
There are times where you imply about how nice kitties are...as meat.
reclaim and kill the dragon. >.> or reclaim and puncture the spire.
or even better: build a fortress inside the adamantine spire!.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

redmenace.uk

• Bay Watcher
  • "Brew cornish rattler"...... "A party has begun"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14027 on: June 20, 2011, 03:31:39 pm »

Only been playing about a week after finally giving the game the time and patience it so rightly deserves. Everything was going brilliantly, slowly mining away, gathering food, trading, cutting the odd gem etc...no sign of trouble what so ever, apart from the odd goblin....easy...then WHAM, in trots a Minotaur....my first real encounter, and who does he happen apon first, out of 115 dwarfs he zeros in on my name sake 'redmenace' part time farmer, and weekend warrior. Unfortunately, 'Red' seemed to be on his farming duties this fateful day and was unceremoniously attacked from behind whilst tolling his Plump Helmets. The Minotaur made short work of said dwarf laying waste to every limb, bone and tendon with his vicious horns and even having the time to steal his leather backpack. Leaving 'Red' face down in his own field slowly fertilizing the crops with his life blood the Minotaur proceeds toward Tintatooed my fledgling fortress killing dwarfs left and right with what can only be discribed as a makeshift weapon and possibly a personal two finger salute to me, Reds creator.....7 dwarfs were blundgeoned and beaten to death that day with nothing more than a leather backpack....oh the irony....dwarfs of Tintatooed we salute you...... :-[
The Minotaur hacks Redmenace in the head with his copper battle axe, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
Redmenace walks it off!...............;]

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14028 on: June 20, 2011, 03:41:34 pm »

Only been playing about a week after finally giving the game the time and patience it so rightly deserves. Everything was going brilliantly, slowly mining away, gathering food, trading, cutting the odd gem etc...no sign of trouble what so ever, apart from the odd goblin....easy...then WHAM, in trots a Minotaur....my first real encounter, and who does he happen apon first, out of 115 dwarfs he zeros in on my name sake 'redmenace' part time farmer, and weekend warrior. Unfortunately, 'Red' seemed to be on his farming duties this fateful day and was unceremoniously attacked from behind whilst tolling his Plump Helmets. The Minotaur made short work of said dwarf laying waste to every limb, bone and tendon with his vicious horns and even having the time to steal his leather backpack. Leaving 'Red' face down in his own field slowly fertilizing the crops with his life blood the Minotaur proceeds toward Tintatooed my fledgling fortress killing dwarfs left and right with what can only be discribed as a makeshift weapon and possibly a personal two finger salute to me, Reds creator.....7 dwarfs were blundgeoned and beaten to death that day with nothing more than a leather backpack....oh the irony....dwarfs of Tintatooed we salute you...... :-[

a backpack? he was inspired by hollisticdetective then.

back to the topic, my dwarfs were so happy with candy they forgot about clowns.
luckily a planned cavein saved the day.
but not the miners. nor the adamantium.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14029 on: June 20, 2011, 03:46:07 pm »

'Snatcher! Protect the children! x5'

What, in a one frame of time? How is it poss-

Oh my god, goblins started sending ninjas D:
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14030 on: June 20, 2011, 04:00:48 pm »

After some abstinence started playing again and after some tries found a good embark:
Temperate woodlands with river
1 layer of Sand
1 layer of Peat
1 layer of Clay
5 layers of Limestone/Magnetite/Lignite + some Limonite and Bauxite
5 layers of Marble
Below that Quartzite/Orthoclase/Tetrahedrite, haven't dug much deeper yet.

Way to go for lots of industry.

redmenace.uk

• Bay Watcher
  • "Brew cornish rattler"...... "A party has begun"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14031 on: June 20, 2011, 04:10:07 pm »

After some abstinence started playing again and after some tries found a good embark:
1 layer of Sand
1 layer of Peat
1 layer of Clay
5 layers of Marble

pick ahoy.....sweet spot..... ;)
The Minotaur hacks Redmenace in the head with his copper battle axe, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
Redmenace walks it off!...............;]

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14032 on: June 20, 2011, 04:19:07 pm »

'Snatcher! Protect the children! x5'

What, in a one frame of time? How is it poss-

Oh my god, goblins started sending ninjas D:

They were discovered in the middle of the barracks?

Life must be flashing by their eyes now.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14033 on: June 20, 2011, 04:24:01 pm »

So, I decided to try something out that I saw on this forum. I made a new expedition to a desert environment with scorching heat, and also has an aquifer. I started out my dwarfs with 0 skills into anything and brought along no equipment. Thing are going smooth right now actually. First off, I assigned most of my dwarfs to gathering plants so I would have some food. One dwarf I made a fisherman to see if I could catch anything in the river. I made my last dwarf a woodcutter/carpenter and made an axe out of my disassembled wagon and went to chopping some wood. I then decided to set up a farming plot, a still, and a butcher shop so I could make some booze, and get some extra food, some hides, and some bones. I then set up a tanner, leatherworker, crafting, and bowyer shops so I can get a hunter ready to go. That is basically the extent of what I have done so far. I hope that once a trade caravan comes, I can get a pickaxe at least so I can start digging down.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14034 on: June 20, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »

1 layer of Sand
1 layer of Peat
1 layer of Clay
5 layers of Marble

seed?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14035 on: June 20, 2011, 04:33:49 pm »

So, I decided to try something out that I saw on this forum. I made a new expedition to a desert environment with scorching heat, and also has an aquifer. I started out my dwarfs with 0 skills into anything and brought along no equipment. Thing are going smooth right now actually. First off, I assigned most of my dwarfs to gathering plants so I would have some food. One dwarf I made a fisherman to see if I could catch anything in the river. I made my last dwarf a woodcutter/carpenter and made an axe out of my disassembled wagon and went to chopping some wood. I then decided to set up a farming plot, a still, and a butcher shop so I could make some booze, and get some extra food, some hides, and some bones. I then set up a tanner, leatherworker, crafting, and bowyer shops so I can get a hunter ready to go. That is basically the extent of what I have done so far. I hope that once a trade caravan comes, I can get a pickaxe at least so I can start digging down.

Mod bones to be used as building material so you can build houses out of ones and walls too.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14036 on: June 20, 2011, 04:34:32 pm »

Wonders never cease! I have discovered actual bituminous coal in a 0.31.25 fort. Never thought I'd live to see the day.

Good thing too, the surface isn't very heavy on trees and I've yet to colonize the caverns.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14037 on: June 20, 2011, 04:36:40 pm »

A multilegendary soldier, killer of hundreds, wielder of a named steel sword, covered in steel, died to a single goblin lasher. In my next world I will mod the hell of these lightsabers out.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14038 on: June 20, 2011, 04:46:54 pm »

A crundle killed three dwarves and a ferret. It was on a 1 square walkway that lead into the caverns, it attacked them one by one and each time they decided to jump out of the way... the ferret and one of the dwarves exploded and the other one died of it's injuries.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14039 on: June 20, 2011, 05:24:27 pm »

After long toil my adamantium-silver road is finished. Just when my manager finished the final bit he was suprised by a goblin thief who stabbed him in the right lung and then cut his head off.

Think it's time to expand my watchtower system...

Lost another legendary dwarf to a forgotten beast. He got knocked down and lost his shield and got his arm torn off. His squad made kebab out of the beast. The caves are hazardous but the prize....

Then I got four ambushes at once, and a few thieves. Lost one dwarf and right that moment the elfs decided to arrive. One elf survived by running into my escape tunnel and exiting trough the caves. A few made it out alive when a master speardwarf got bored, wandered outside and killed half of the goblins before deciding to get a drink with an arrow stuck in his arm. The rest of the elves got slaughtered negating all my efforts to clean up the map.

A new forgotten beast has 'deadly blood'. That sounds bad  :P
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 3836