Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860958 times)

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1440 on: February 22, 2010, 03:53:36 pm »

Some migrants have decided to brave this terrifying place, knowing it may be their tomb.

Woohoo!  We're finally better than a "cursed deathtrap"! :D  Seriously, guys, the tantrum spiral is over...:(
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: February 22, 2010, 03:56:58 pm »

I was currently working on a Great Wall surrounding my fort from every z level. I was also building a perimeter of towers on my very large map, not that it is needed  :D. Orcs attacked and attacked, so I sent my Captain of the Guard out, alone, to deal with them. He has well over 200 kills, and the leaders of the Orcs have all been killed by my Captain of the guard, including the king/emperor/thing. But I found a nice thing in Dwarf Manager. I was able to make children work in my forges and work on my road to my depot  ;D. I have finally finished training my very large military to legendary level.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 22, 2010, 09:34:17 pm »

...Compared to some of the updates, very little... although due to noticing that the path to my outdoor (covered) farm was covered in vomit, am setting up a walled outside statue garden, with an artifact statue as the main attraction, and the only booze stockpile smack dab in the center. Also covering the floor with gold, just so the kobolds can't get their little claws on it.

It's actually a fairly boring fort right now. 7 years with nothing but the occasional kobold thief. I'm using it as a learning experience as it's the first fort I've made in years.

My laptop fort is a little more... ambitious. I think one of my friends said it best when I was managing the jobs of a new wave of migrants, adding more miners...

"But I'm a soapmaker! What does she need more miners for?"
"...Apparently because the cliff isn't square enough."
"Isn't....square enough? And we LISTEN to this voice?"
"...Here's your pick."

(I squared off the ground level cliff entrance so that all the ramps bar one set for poncy elf traders were gone. That and it looks much, much neater, and I'm really bad with neatness and symmetry  :-X )
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: February 22, 2010, 11:02:46 pm »

Sigh... just lost about an hour of progress due to an unexpected crash. Fortunately some of that progress involved some place-it-there-hmm-no-actually-take-it-down-and-rebuild-it-over-there-yeah-actually-that-looks-pretty-good work, so I might be able to make up the time in less then an hour.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: February 22, 2010, 11:10:06 pm »

I've got a entirely underground fort in the frozen norths.  Currently in the first stages of building a largish ice statue facing east next to my one staircase entrance.  To be followed, I think, by iron, gold, and another material statues facing north, south and west.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: February 23, 2010, 12:22:25 am »

Might I recommend Funnite?

But yeah, my fortress is boring as heck. I threw a local goblin leader into magma, which means it will be a while before the next siege. I'm trying as hard as I can to piss off the elves, though, so there is still hope! Also, kobold ambush. Apparently they do that. Cool. Now if I could just get the queen to show up, THEN it would be awesome.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 23, 2010, 12:38:48 am »

I just had my second seige by The Oily Hate.  At first I thought I was secure, until I remembered this:  I had built a tunnel that went under the river, and there was a wall around the entrance to that tunnel.  Unfortunately, the wall is right next to a slope leading to a higher elevation, and the goblins used it to climb onto the wall and get in.
Now, I was setting up my military around the opposite end of the fortress, and suddenly I remembered that there was one level where the tunnel branched off into a network of other tunnels, where my miners were exploring.  Naturally, the goblins headed there instead of where I wanted them.  I hurried up and activated a few of my workers, and got ready for a fight. 
The entire battle took place in one small, bloody tunnel.  27 dwarves died, as well as a ton of war dogs and a couple dozen goblins.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: February 23, 2010, 12:15:57 pm »

Annoying human sieges. I'm trying to get human prisoners to line my hammerer's office with, but they're standing like ten tiles away from the traps and I can't send my military over to lure them closer because they'll just kill the Umen, and we can't have that. I tried designating jobs behind them, but rather than running towards the siegers and then getting scared running away, thus luring them in, they got scared and continued running past the humen. So now I have a bunch of dwarves running in circles and the humen aren't getting any closer to the traps.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: February 23, 2010, 08:02:24 pm »

gem cutter goes fey

For the first time i try to make him use optimal materials

I made him use Turquoise instead of Fortification Agate, and i made him use Jaguar Leather instead of Dog Leather.

Guess what he made

Tirdugkebosh "Brutalzealots", a turquoise animal trap!

This is a turquoise animal trap. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with Pig Tail. This object menaces with spikes of turquoise and turtle shell. On the item is an image of a swordfish in turquoise. On the item is an image of a war hammer in turquoise. On the item is an image of dwarves in jaguar leather. The dwarves are traveling.

Weight is 53

Price is 16800

That was the only turquoise i had ;_________;

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: February 23, 2010, 08:12:02 pm »

gem cutter goes fey

For the first time i try to make him use optimal materials

I made him use Turquoise instead of Fortification Agate, and i made him use Jaguar Leather instead of Dog Leather.

Guess what he made

Tirdugkebosh "Brutalzealots", a turquoise animal trap!

This is a turquoise animal trap. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with Pig Tail. This object menaces with spikes of turquoise and turtle shell. On the item is an image of a swordfish in turquoise. On the item is an image of a war hammer in turquoise. On the item is an image of dwarves in jaguar leather. The dwarves are traveling.

Weight is 53

Price is 16800

That was the only turquoise i had ;_________;

Hey, at least animal traps can be manually placed.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: February 23, 2010, 08:13:26 pm »

Regarding my statue plan- I notice that ice constructions in Visual Fortress just show up as brick.  Is there something that will show my ice monument as being built out of ice?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:15:37 pm by Don Blake »

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1451 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:45 pm »

You could mod Visual Fortress/Textures.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: February 23, 2010, 09:20:40 pm »

You could mod Visual Fortress/Textures.

Hmm.  I'm no expert programmer, but looking at it, there *is* an stone_ice texture in the folder, it just doesn't register as that when I actually load it up.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: February 23, 2010, 10:11:01 pm »

so i have like 189 dwarves or something, i was wondering why i havent had a baron(ess) arrive yet

or a hammerer, or any other nobles(besides the dungeon master and philosopher)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: February 23, 2010, 10:20:51 pm »

so i have like 189 dwarves or something, i was wondering why i havent had a baron(ess) arrive yet

or a hammerer, or any other nobles(besides the dungeon master and philosopher)

It's probably either your overall fortress wealth being too low, your trade exports being too low, or maybe both. Not sure. Never let my popcap take me farther than 110ish dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 3836