Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787106 times)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1470 on: February 24, 2010, 09:55:27 pm »

My axe-wielding mayor bumped into a goblin thief.

He chopped off both the goblin's arms in a blink of an eye, dug the axe into his chest, then launched him into a wall.

I think that registers a 4.5 on a scale of ten in terms of cool DF moments.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 24, 2010, 10:52:07 pm »

You might not want to gamble it, but if you build the titan cage and then unassign the titan from the cage, a dwarf will run over with a free cage and stick the titan in it.  Just forbid all cages except the one you want and unassign the titan.  I'm pretty sure it's a failproof operation.  At least I've been doing it with camels for a while.

Yeah, but thieves (or rather, things marked "Hostile" in the units list, rather than "Invader", which notably do not do this) will wrestle themselves free of their hauler and attempt to escape, scaring dorfs off their jobs (and probably lunch) in the process. I'm not sure whether or not titans count as "Invaders" or not for that purpose, given their rather unique description in said list, but I do know my plan is failproof 8) Sure, it takes a bit more preparation but you get the materials back afterwards.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 24, 2010, 11:49:15 pm »

just got my archery range built and functional(complete with bolt catcher in back)

starting construction(mass construction) of wooden bolts for practicing.

I might need some more wood though.

Its mid summer so i should be fine.

i havent had a seige for awhile

id say im overdue

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 25, 2010, 12:02:51 am »

I believe Titans qualify as "Uninvited Guests".

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 25, 2010, 12:10:35 am »

I believe Titans qualify as "Uninvited Guests".

So you should serve them tea, but the biscuits are left to your discretion?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: February 25, 2010, 12:14:51 am »

Finally managed to dry out my tower cap farm. Apparently, a five tile wide drain on the same z-level drains slightly slower than my FPS with 200 dwarves, magma, and running water. Luckily, I just happened to have set up the drawbridge in an ideal place to work as an atom smasher, so I smashed away all the water I used to muddy the farm. Worked well, inside of half a season the water was shallow enough to set up permanent farms (I previously had to set them up next to my drowning trap) and tower caps began to spring up. I now have a fairly high yield tower cap farm, so it was definitely worth the time.

Speaking of the drowning trap, I put two new improvements in. A set of pumps hooked up to my power array now massively increase the speed of flooding, and 25 new pumps on the drainer allow the entire trap to drain in seconds. Which was a total waste of time, I haven't seen an orc siege in a year and half. I think I embarked a little too far away from their tower. Either that or the dark elves killed too many of them in world gen. Either way, my soldiers are constantly running off ambushes. It's kind of funny to see them taking down crucible steel armed dark elves with bronze armor and silver weapons.

On the subject of bronze, I'm finally set up to produce steel on a large scale. After digging out four or five veins of iron ore and simultaneously getting my tower cap farm done and striking a seam of coal, I finally have access to enough coal, iron, and dolomite to produce the large amounts of steel I need to prepare for cracking open the funhouse. Lots of funtm in the future of this fortress.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 25, 2010, 01:14:21 am »

The fort of Arkimoslan, "Racewound," is doing well.  I embarked on a road in order to build a town for travelers to supposedly stop by, which didn't start off well.  Apparently the andesite block road (or rather, it's a series of floors) gave a huge boost to my forts wealth, attracting ambushes in year 2.  I finally gave in and built a makeshift castle from andesite and alunite for protection instead of waiting for a chance to make lots of andesite blocks to fit the theme.  Had a kobold ambush, which killed one cat (darn miner and his cats...) and died very quickly to my unarmored, unarmed champions.  There was also a small goblin siege, but it was easily fought off by a single novice marksdwarf champion.  I finally got the magma flowing decently... I know what I did wrong now, letting the magma flow on its own into a large magma cistern just gives the magma time to evaporate.  I built a series of non-magma proof floodgates to introduce the magma in stages and the process is a success so far.  Two more sets of floodgates to drop and all my magma workshops will be running perfectly.  One of my pump operater dwarves had a secretive mood too, so he'll make a very strong champion someday.
The caravans are actually managing to reach my fort without getting ambushed, it's been ages since I've gotten a supply of steel from the dwarves of the Systematic Lashes :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:17:17 am by Euld »

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 25, 2010, 01:21:29 am »

now that i have my archery range up(its working great btw), i made a gym and designated only 4 peasants to just pump screw pumps that arent connected to anything. I have their beds in the gym and i have a stairset leading straight up to the food stockpile.

along with an engraved floor in the gym(i engrave 99% of my floors)

im also having my axedwarves train in hand to hand combat so they have better stats and stuff.

its going pretty well so far

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: February 25, 2010, 05:02:46 am »

Heh, working on a new mega project where I'm not just making a tower of obsidian but I'm making a castle. Forget that though that's not what I'm here to talk about. I had recently dug into the ug that was on the map... one problem, this is an undead map. The river is PACKED with skeletal and undead creatures of all sort who commence climbing up the stairs I had accidentally built all the way down to the waters edge. Thanks to the way I had set up my starting party I had five talented miners ready to fight off the horde. In the end twenty undead had been slain and strewn across the top end of the stairs. Three of the five had a major injury of some sort. Problem is now that they are injured they need water... the only water source I have is the ug which I have sealed off for obvious reasons. Currently trying to get a well built safely and high enough so that the monsters can't reach it but I have a feeling i'm going to be down three useful dwarves fairly soon.

Simple enough. Just channel out a spot above the underground river, build nine cage traps around it, and build a well over the hole.

Ta-da! Watered miners and happy thoughts from the well.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 25, 2010, 05:29:59 am »

While training with a wooden sword, one of my squad leaders took a blow to the leg and is down for a few seasons.
And that's why I don't train with live edges.
Incidentally, it rained two days ago in game. In the Desert.
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 25, 2010, 12:18:15 pm »

After having the spicy clowns wipe out all but a champion wrestler couple and their twin infants, I have finally rebuilt and have an ecstatic king. Now I'm wondering what to do with all the clownite. I got a weaponsmith to mood and now have a clownite spear (no forbid tricks either!). Hopefully I can get an armorsmith to mood too, I'm training a bunch of them with all the iron I got from the magnetite.

To train my army of 10 engravers, I told them to smooth and engrave the entire mountain. Now everyone knows what happened here and that my dwarves were victorious.

My legendary weaver just fell down the chasm  :(
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:21:18 pm by riznar »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: February 25, 2010, 12:26:36 pm »

New computer for the first time since 04. Did my best to get it to play DF optimally - hopefully that works out. We'll have to see tomorrow after I've transferred everything.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: February 25, 2010, 05:44:03 pm »

Just got some immigrants putting me at 50 dwarves even though I set the pop cap at 40 ::). The immigrants were attack by a Batman: one dwarf died, but a heroic ranger killed it and received a yellow wound for his trouble. I recruited him, and took down the airlock(cause I play with Orcmod so I seal myself off).

All the dwarves were inside except for one of the founding miners(The one, a few pages back who shredded a Batman). He was retrieving the body of the dead immigrant and had just crossed the second bridge into the fort when he was ambushed.

I immediately pulled the lever to raise the bridge: my miner actually ran onto the bridge so I drafted him and got him to run into the fort courtyard just as the drawbridge was raised. He was alone in the courtyard with the only goblin that crossed the bridge. He killed it, just before my military arrived. I sent my military out and they destroyed the goblins.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 25, 2010, 09:04:04 pm »

One of my dwarves was killed by a magma man so, in a spirit of rage, I had my miner break down the wall seperating the magma pipe from the rest of my fortress.  The carpenter valiantly tried to stop the flow, first by building a wooden door and putting it in the path of the flow.  He had to flee from the heat however.  His next attempt was to channel out a block in front of it to buy some time while that was filled up, but this time he succumbed to the heat.

My remaining four dwarves are locked in their rooms, awaiting the end.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: February 25, 2010, 09:06:28 pm »

Installing a massive home program.

It's about 75% done.

When it is done, I'll have enough room to house over 100 dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 3835