Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788158 times)

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1500 on: February 26, 2010, 07:47:35 pm »

Trying to catch some of the giant ants that have taken up residence in my chasm. I did fine with the antmen, and the purple slimes, and even the troll who lived in there. The giant ants, though, are big enough and aggressive enough to be a bigger problem than the troll, especially considering that the bastards have been breeding for a while now. I'm seriously considering just carving out a place for my champions to butcher them where they won't be in danger of dodging into thin air. No meat, no bones, no skull, nothing but chitin with MODVALUE:6 and SIZE:9 if I can train them for war.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: February 26, 2010, 08:31:28 pm »

Just had a goblin siege.  My dwarfs got the drawbridge up in time to prevent the majority of the goblins from crossing the moat, but a good number still got through.  I was getting some soldiers outside, and getting ready to fight, when I noticed the ground looked weird.  Turns out, my tame dragon, who was posted by the side of the road on a gold chain, had finally decided to do something for me, and killed most of the goblins with her fire-breath.  Sadly, she lit herself on fire in the process (Maybe it was the flaming goblin wrestlers attacking her?), and died in the heat.  There go my plans for a dragon arena.   :-[
Oh well, still cool.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: February 26, 2010, 08:41:20 pm »

Fucking elite crossbowgoblins just wasted their second champion.

People actually gave a shit this time, as I had two minor tantrums. Both dorfs calmed down when they got back to their rooms, though.

I wasn't prepared to let her go, and revived her about three times with Dwarf Companion. She bled to death each time, almost instantly, despite having no injuries visible (but still flashing the "mortal wound" red + symbol). Someone wanna tell me what's up with that?
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: February 26, 2010, 08:47:41 pm »

probably still got a bolt stuck in her throat, so you revive, she heals, then the bolt re-kills her.
Nom nom nom

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: February 26, 2010, 08:49:43 pm »

Dammit, she did as well. The corpse has been moved by now, the bolt hasn't. Would reviving her work now?
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: February 26, 2010, 08:51:22 pm »

yes should, though she will be naked.
Nom nom nom

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: February 26, 2010, 09:10:23 pm »

Thanks a lot =) I've decided, however, to exercise my powers as an incarnation of Armok and revert to my last seasonal backup. I lose a little progress on my megaproject but whatever. When the gobs show up again I'm locating the elite crossbowgobs with DC and fucking terminating them in godly fashion.

Fucking ridiculously overpowered weapons. I'd expect an iron bolt to penetrate steel platemail and mangle both lungs and the heart if it were fucking rocket powered and fired from an ☼adamantine bolt thrower☼, not if some fucking elf-kissing carp-wanking upstart cowardly bitch goblin decides to hide behind a mob of wrestlers and lashers and snipe at my champions (who are more than capable of handling anything else the gobs could throw at them).

Rrrgh.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 26, 2010, 10:18:00 pm »

Thanks a lot =) I've decided, however, to exercise my powers as an incarnation of Armok and revert to my last seasonal backup. I lose a little progress on my megaproject but whatever. When the gobs show up again I'm locating the elite crossbowgobs with DC and fucking terminating them in godly fashion.

Fucking ridiculously overpowered weapons. I'd expect an iron bolt to penetrate steel platemail and mangle both lungs and the heart if it were fucking rocket powered and fired from an ☼adamantine bolt thrower☼, not if some fucking elf-kissing carp-wanking upstart cowardly bitch goblin decides to hide behind a mob of wrestlers and lashers and snipe at my champions (who are more than capable of handling anything else the gobs could throw at them).

Rrrgh.

Well, that's your decision, but just to note, crossbows *were* quite effective against plate mail.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 26, 2010, 10:21:01 pm »

Meh, I have bigger carp to butcher than stupid goblins. And yeah, medieval humans made good crossbows. Dwarves would likely make better crossbows. But no way in hell do goblins make good crossbows. And dwarves make excellent platemail. Unless the gobs aim for the throat, which wasn't the case here.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: February 26, 2010, 10:26:06 pm »

Brand new laptop runs my highly inefficient fort with all dwarves active at 25FPS - the old one ran it at 0~3. I can hardly believe my eyes. Such are the joys of upgrading from dual-core to i5.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: February 26, 2010, 10:36:45 pm »

I wasn't prepared to let her go, and revived her about three times with Dwarf Companion. She bled to death each time, almost instantly, despite having no injuries visible (but still flashing the "mortal wound" red + symbol). Someone wanna tell me what's up with that?

Resurrection with companion is a hidden art that few know and fewer practice, if you wish to know the secrets, you must pass this test...

Spoiler: Click this text (click to show/hide)

Side effects are corpses of living people, legends mode oddities and amusing adventure mode anecdotes about killing megabeasts while wielding "Your Corpse"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:41:10 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Hazelnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 26, 2010, 10:39:41 pm »

The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.

:D
I like this very much.

Yes, very much yes - can we see it please? :)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: February 26, 2010, 10:47:48 pm »

I sent out four champions to try to find a kidnapped child.  The child was still kidnapped, however, my multi-legendary macedwarf with an artifact mace walked into an ambush of hammergoblins lead by a human.  I took joy in the ensuing slaughter  ;D  An ambush found one of my axedwarves with similar one sided results.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 26, 2010, 11:04:59 pm »

I am beginning work on a calendar detailed in one of the other threads. Because I can't be bothered managing a fort (I'm on a crummy laptop at the moment), my dwarves have been set to have [NOANYTHING]. Interestingly, this makes them refuse to spar for some reason.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: February 26, 2010, 11:46:32 pm »

Gave up trying to catch any giant ants, just used DC to tame/steal them for my use. Seriously, trying to catch that many critters is worrying when they're just dogs, but when they're big enough to eat a camel, you don't want to mess with them more than you have to. Fortunately, they never tasted dwarven blood, so they should maybe p'raps be safe to work with, I hope.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 3835