Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789567 times)

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1515 on: February 27, 2010, 07:49:57 am »

At the moment all of my dwarves are either running around babbling, melancholic, stuck at the bottom of my as of yet unfilled moat, or unconscious in a room containing two dragon thieves who spend their time pacing back and forth.

All in all, it's going about as well as can be expected.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 27, 2010, 02:03:35 pm »

I just abandoned my fortress.   :-\
Decided that I wasn't set up to deal with sieges and a megaproject at the same time.  I'll start a new one later.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 27, 2010, 04:38:20 pm »

I have to restart my megaproject attempt.

For some reason, I am not getting a dwarven caravan or immigrants. In fact, the only outside contact I get is elves. I'm not about build a megaproject with hardly any dwarves and only elves for company.

The megaproject in questions is a giant ship (6 embarks by 2) made entirely out of clear glass. In order to bump up value, all the walls will actually be made of clear glass windows. The walls that support the whole thing will be in the mast. After it is completed, I will flood the map in magma.

Also, due to the magnitude of the ship, I have managed to get housing for 170 dwarves plus nobles into a single level. I now have a dozen or so levels left over. Even if I have huge stockpiles, a massive engine and a whole level of workshops, I am left with several empty levels. What shall I do with them?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 27, 2010, 04:45:06 pm »

Also, due to the magnitude of the ship, I have managed to get housing for 170 dwarves plus nobles into a single level. I now have a dozen or so levels left over. Even if I have huge stockpiles, a massive engine and a whole level of workshops, I am left with several empty levels. What shall I do with them?
A zoo, a water cistern, a magma cistern, water fall, goblin torture chambers, arena arenas, noble torture death chambers, an artifact museum + art museum (find a way to make single cell walls of obsidian on this floor, then engrave them)... hm...

edit: changed 'aqueducts' to 'cisterns.'  Might make more sense now.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:55:43 pm by Euld »

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 27, 2010, 04:54:16 pm »

Building a Skyway mostly out of imported products, which means it's going to tkae a while.  Still, with two legendary stone crafters and everbody seeming to be quite fond of stone crafts and instruments, trade isn't a problem.

Chaos341

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: February 27, 2010, 08:38:06 pm »

Just started a new fortress, first minute of mining and "you have struck native platinum" popped up. Also found coal. Off to a good start imo.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: February 27, 2010, 08:42:15 pm »

At the moment all of my dwarves are either running around babbling, melancholic, stuck at the bottom of my as of yet unfilled moat, or unconscious in a room containing two dragon thieves who spend their time pacing back and forth.

All in all, it's going about as well as can be expected.

I would sig this if my current sig wasn't necessary for legal reasons.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 27, 2010, 10:08:39 pm »

Flooding a massive underground chamber for an indoor tree farm. I'll never need to step outside for wood again.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 27, 2010, 11:50:57 pm »

Skeletal foxes are adorable pets.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 28, 2010, 03:03:05 am »

I started in a terrifying forest.  Not very terrifying so far, though. 

After a few tries, I managed to randomly generate a badass Group name:  The Board of Eviscerators.  I think I'm going to give somebody (Either the leader or a military leader) the title "Chairman of the Board". 
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: February 28, 2010, 04:47:57 am »

......badass.

Almost as badass as Bengal Hairybasements.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #1526 on: February 28, 2010, 07:54:35 am »

I am just about to build Awesome.jpg

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: February 28, 2010, 08:11:48 am »

Trying to cover the entire surface of my mini-fort with floors.It's a really nice site.It's a conifer forest with two hills.I'm building an aboveground fort between them.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: February 28, 2010, 08:58:45 am »

I finally managed to finish the water serpent in the main hall of my current fortress. By chance I had a underground pool just above it which I didn't know at the time of digging it. When I was digging some stuff above it I noticed a damp wall and 1 level up from it was the pool. Just dug a hole in the bottom and all the water gushed down into the serpent. Original plan was to fill it with magma but my magma at the moment is just a pool also so didn't have enough there to do it well enough, but I should have a real pipe somewhere also and might change the water into magma, although it's nice drinking/fishing place now in the heart of the fortress so I migh not.

Picture is quite large as it shows my current main level of the fortress.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also the site I'm at is pretty damn sweet: brook, magma pool (and possibly pipe if I remember correctly), underground pool, underground river, bottomless pit, chasm, some aquifer at right places, hidden fun stuff, sand, bauxite, chalk, iron and other metals, loads of wood, 5 races to pester me (kobolds, goblins, bugbears, gnolls and duergar) and tons of new animals (mammoth zoo already in the work), elves/humans/dwarves. Basically everything one wants and more.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:27:22 pm by belannaer »

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: February 28, 2010, 09:36:19 am »

running low on stone  :o. Never thought I'd say it, the problem is that my fort was built on a plateau and I'm building a double thick wall all the way around the main stairs PLUS an alunite courtyard. my craftdwarves have apparently used all the alunite i had found...*sigh*
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 3835