Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861203 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1530 on: February 28, 2010, 07:42:20 pm »

The Queen has arrived! Horray!
And while I was preparing her quarters, she died. Along with my Tame War Titan.
WTF?
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 28, 2010, 09:00:46 pm »

"You have broken into a peculiar chamber through the base of the mountain.
You have struck Raw adamantine!  Praise the miners!"

Hrm. This could be... problematic.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: February 28, 2010, 09:48:29 pm »

The queen's funeral is complete.
The tomb was prepared. 11 Billon statues decorated its halls. All walls, floors, and ceiling were made of blocks of the finest dolomite. 3 cats were chained, to amuse the great leader in the afterlife. She and the titan were interred into the funeral chamber. The philosopher gave a touching speech. The levers were pulled.

And then the whole chamber thing fell 18 z-levels down the volcano.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 28, 2010, 09:58:03 pm »

1st year. 12 Dwarves, one is a wounded wrestler trying to get rest. No indoor water supply... yet. Seiged by Orcs for nearly a full season. Digging out well, hit HFS. Building an intricate water drain from a nearby underground pool that is full of angry creatures. Hopefully this works out. >_>

EDIT: Wounded wrestler is now dead wrestler.

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 28, 2010, 10:42:30 pm »

An influx of "m" and "k" 's has left me with little "stuff" left, and no drink due to the volcano I live next to erupting and raining death upon 3 of the 7 dorfs. The mountain homes liaison arrived, only to be killed, as my remaining miner decided to channel under his feet, leaving his burnt corpse bobbing in the magma moat... so dont think much more will be happening here until the reclamation team arrives.  :D
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 01, 2010, 02:59:23 am »

"An ambush! Curse them!"

Right next to my mayor, who was out cutting wood when she discovered them. This is the fortress where I let the chips lie as they fall, so I say a quick goodbye to Shorast Freshlens and (A)ctivate her. I am sure she will die an honorable death in battle against the green ones.

Five seconds later, she becomes Shorast Freshlens the Glacial Coil. Armok bless the woodcutters.

Edit: She did injure her leg, but it healed even as she went to rest. I am slightly in awe of this dwarf now, and will not underestimate her again.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 01, 2010, 05:18:44 am »

Usually dwarves that are built up on bookkeeping and other social skills are beastly-strong, and goblins aren't that dangerous at the worst of times. Most mayors can wrestle a whole siege naked if they don't take an arrow through the heart. In the next version, we will no longer see dwarves become weightlifters by doing bookkeeping :)
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 01, 2010, 06:25:51 am »

"An ambush! Curse them!"

Right next to my mayor, who was out cutting wood when she discovered them. This is the fortress where I let the chips lie as they fall, so I say a quick goodbye to Shorast Freshlens and (A)ctivate her. I am sure she will die an honorable death in battle against the green ones.

Five seconds later, she becomes Shorast Freshlens the Glacial Coil. Armok bless the woodcutters.

Edit: She did injure her leg, but it healed even as she went to rest. I am slightly in awe of this dwarf now, and will not underestimate her again.
Same thing happened on my first successful fort.  Goblins attacked mayor, he asked them kindly who the fuck they were messing with and then splattered them across the forest.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 01, 2010, 10:26:43 am »

So, I'm playing Dig Deeper, and I broke into a bottomless pit which had a bunch of dead naked mole rats lying around.  My ever enterprising dorfs decided to collect the bones to add to my ludicrously large bone stockpile, but when they rushed in, they decided to freak out about some purple slimes 10 Z layers down or something.

By the time I got my military there (god forbid you go hammerize some slimes on an empty booze belly), the slimes had, I assume, climbed up the walls or something and funned all over many, many, dorfs.  Oh yeah, and they also funned the heck out of all the dorfs who went to get the dead guys socks... 

Best was my legendary woodcrafter (from mood...stupid birch earring or something) who lost his entire right arm, and was complaining about having "sustained minor injuries lately."
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Wirewraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 01, 2010, 11:16:17 am »

Progress on my mega-map is going well. I call it a mega-map because I'm combining several mega projects into one massive fortress covering almost the entire map. The plan is to construct a moderately sized (roughly 50x60x10) keep on a hill, then to block off a section of the map with a dam to create an artificial lake, in the middle of the lake will be a submerged fortress (mostly non-essential stuff, like artifact vaults and pretty statues rising from the water). However for now, I have almost finished carving out the 122x80x10 cavern that will act as the de-facto industrial center of my empire.

There is so much work left to do I don't even want to think about it. I would list off the tasks but I fear I would lose confidence and give up in a cowering ball of all my wasted potential.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1540 on: March 01, 2010, 01:05:41 pm »

I just witnessed the gentlest hammering ever.

My current mayor, one of several dozen children of the Countess, who recently replaced an adopted Ancient Vampire as mayor of the fortress, has developed an unfortunate habit of mandating Bismuth items to be made.  Bismuth is a nearly useless metal since it can't be made into anything, so the only way to meet this mandate is by smelting bismuthine ore into bismuth bars.  Even with major mining projects and importing bismuthine from the trade caravan, I couldn't keep up with the mandates.

So I let the latest mandate fail.  I figure it's no big deal - previous mandate failures have only resulted in some random hauler getting a vacation in my luxury prison cells for a while.  The mayor will be pissed off, but screw him anyway.  So when the mandate expires, and I check the justice board, I'm surprised to see that the mayor has picked the best metalsmith in the fort, and not for a jail stay but a hammering.

Now, I like this metalsmith.  He's already a legendary metalsmith from making one of the fortress's most valuable artifacts, and I've spent years training up his blacksmithing skill cranking out bins and barrels so when the queen arrives he can make masterwork furniture from precious metals for her.  He's one of the more valuable dwarves in the fortress, and one of the first immigrants, arriving in the first batch after the initial 7.  I'm not happy about the possibility of seeing him killed or crippled for life.

Luckily, I seem to have one of the most apathetic hammerers ever.  When the call for justice went out she was attending a party, and had no interest in leaving the party to do her duty.  When she finally did tear herself away, it was to get a drink.  Finally she went and grabbed the metalsmith, dragged him to the prison suite before deciding to go sleep.  The metalsmith was mildly upset over being confined, but the masterwork roast and well-decorated bed in the prison made up for that.  Finally the hammerer woke and returned to the prison to administer the punishment.  I watched, waiting to see what would befall the metalsmith.

She went to the chained prisoner, and then a few moments later they both walked away.  No blood splattered or body parts flying.  I checked his wounds page - not even a bruise.  The justice page said that no further punishment was needed, the hammerer had happy thoughts about having administered a hammering, and the metalsmith had the bad thought from having been beaten (which was vastly outweighed by the good thought about having been freed from captivity), so the hammering had clearly taken place.

I can only figure that the hammerer realized that the sentence was unjust and deliberately gave the weakest tap possibly with her hammer.  Either that or the blows from an inexperienced hammerer who has probably never used her hammer in anger before didn't have much effect on a dwarf who's spent the last 30 years working nonstop at the forges.  In either case everyone's happy, and I'm keeping this hammerer around since she seems to be the least effective executioner ever.  The mayor, on the other hand, may have an unfortunate accident coming soon.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 01, 2010, 04:29:39 pm »

Recently saw a skeletal giant eagle tear apart a squad of goblin wrestlers during a siege. It was beautiful. Damn thing escaped before I could cage it and give it a spot in my zoo permanent place of honor.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 01, 2010, 07:30:43 pm »

a titan just showed up at the very corner of the map

ive never had a titan before

i told my dwarves to stay inside except for the military

should i just have them stay at the entrance or should i send them after the titan?

I have 2 squads of 4 marksdwarves each, a squad of swrdsdwarves, and a squad of axedwarves with a champion.

edit: nevermind

apparently theres a fucking backdoor i didnt know about(patching up now) and the titan was going to go through there. i put all my military(the above) and 2 guys got injured, no deaths. i attacked the titan for a good 3 minutes before he ran off the side of the map
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:59:08 pm by Banana »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 01, 2010, 10:53:03 pm »

i put all my military(the above) and 2 guys got injured, no deaths. i attacked the titan for a good 3 minutes before he ran off the side of the map
He actually retreated?  Dang, I wonder what he's going to do now.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 02, 2010, 07:39:24 am »

i put all my military(the above) and 2 guys got injured, no deaths. i attacked the titan for a good 3 minutes before he ran off the side of the map
He actually retreated?  Dang, I wonder what he's going to do now.

It's probably at home, crying in its cave.

EDIT: Halfway through the first summer in my new fort and two of my dwarves don't care about anything anymore. A third one is getting used to tragedy which I don't even now why since the only things that have been killed are a crapload of Beak Dogs, a couple of regular beakless dogs and a couple of Antmen. He doesn't like any of those things to clarify.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 09:54:58 am by Untouchable »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 3836