Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863322 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1545 on: March 02, 2010, 10:56:27 am »

EDIT: Halfway through the first summer in my new fort and two of my dwarves don't care about anything anymore. A third one is getting used to tragedy which I don't even now why since the only things that have been killed are a crapload of Beak Dogs, a couple of regular beakless dogs and a couple of Antmen. He doesn't like any of those things to clarify.

IIRC, any death that occurs near the dwarf will slowly immunize him to shocking scenes of blood and flying body parts.

But don't quote me on that.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 02, 2010, 06:06:55 pm »

' El Tangle' died in a sparring accident and bled to death nearly instantly after I had just checked on him.  I shrugged and moved on, he wasn't particuarly skilled and my military is doing well enough anyway.

Then dad accidently cut the power to my room before I saved.  I guess 'El Tangle' is going to get another chance :)

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 02, 2010, 06:10:22 pm »

turns out i actually did kill that titan

one of my injured dwarves was right on top of him so i didnt see him laying there

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 02, 2010, 09:58:06 pm »

Started a new fort at work today (short version: I have 4 hours a day with no coworkers around and only computers to keep me company) using the Dig Dwarfier mod (further modded to give a Relentless Assault feel with ever increasing challenges, basically Goblin -> Dark Elves -> Orcs). Got my first wave of immigrants in Spring of 2nd year, and shortly afterwards completed my Mist Generation Machine for perpetual dwarfy happiness. (I know, what the hell am I thinking, happy dwarves?!)

Oh, and I have probably the strangest map I've ever had the pleasure of embarking on. There's a brook that flows through and the usual pools of water that ultimately ended up evaporating by the time Summer came around. However, when winter came around, the brook froze completely by mid-winter EXCEPT for the parts surrounded by the Clay Loam, which remained flowing. Then about a week before late-winter, EVERYTHING froze. And then unfroze less than a week later. And when spring came around, the brook was back to normal. Never had a map that both froze and evaporated water.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:08:56 pm by Moontayle »
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 03, 2010, 12:22:02 am »

hey look another titan

edit: got this one in a cage trap  :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:29:15 am by Banana »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: March 03, 2010, 01:24:53 am »

I just noticed that my desert fort's patron civilization is named The Honest Axe.

I think I know what my fort's insignia is going to be. Too bad the map's almost nothing but limestone so it'll take awhile to import the gold and silver I need, but it will be excellent and, for once, very fitting.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: March 03, 2010, 05:03:32 am »

Another reclaim. If I can get the mist generator built I am CONVINCED I can avert the tantrum-spiral!

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: March 03, 2010, 11:42:26 am »

I just got an awesome pair of named purple slimes after they romped on an elven caravan!

Artodostob, the Combined Clearing

and

Othlestber, the ScorthedEarthen

I am keeping the doors tightly closed.  =)
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: March 03, 2010, 11:52:30 am »

Closing the doors won't save you from Othlestber there.  He'll just fire off a digger or two and undermine the entire fortress.   Or just obliterate you outright with a death head.  Hope you have a parachute!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 03, 2010, 11:55:07 am »

Just an add to my strange freezing map: When winter came around again in year 2 my revolving mist generator water tile froze when everything froze so for a week or so I had a block of ice hanging above the statues I placed so the dwarves wouldn't get water on them.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 03, 2010, 12:00:36 pm »

Closing the doors won't save you from Othlestber there.  He'll just fire off a digger or two and undermine the entire fortress.   Or just obliterate you outright with a death head.  Hope you have a parachute!

Wow!  Awesome reference there.  I spent so many, many hours of my youth fearing sandhogs.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: March 03, 2010, 01:15:56 pm »

stuck the titan in my dining room next to my goblin spearmaster

kenken244

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 03, 2010, 04:45:55 pm »

I made a test fort to figure out how to cast obsidian structures. All was going well, everything was in place. I opened the floodgates that released the magma. Unfortunately, I had over-engineered the magma pupps to the point that they had enormous pressure, and the magma spread four tiles from the opening before falling, which unfortunately included the area not part of the mold. the magma cascaded down the outside of the mold. To make things worse, I had placed the lever to close the floodgates directly underneath the magmaduct, so it melted before it could be pulled. The flow only stopped when the magma reached the river and stopped the waterwheels. That fort is now abandoned. on a better note, I now have an idea for an extra-powerful magma cannon.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 03, 2010, 06:08:20 pm »

I'm relatively new and finally managed to get a plot with a stream and a magma pipe. Finding a brook and magma pipe have been easy. With this stream came CARP OH GOD I LOST A DOG AND A FISHERDWARF!

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #1559 on: March 03, 2010, 09:49:59 pm »

I just noticed that my desert fort's patron civilization is named The Honest Axe.

I think I know what my fort's insignia is going to be. Too bad the map's almost nothing but limestone so it'll take awhile to import the gold and silver I need, but it will be excellent and, for once, very fitting.

Awesome! :D

Unfortunately, I had over-engineered the magma pupps to the point that they had enormous pressure, and the magma spread four tiles from the opening before falling, which unfortunately included the area not part of the mold. the magma cascaded down the outside of the mold.
on a better note, I now have an idea for an extra-powerful magma cannon.

One dwarf's mistake is another dwarf's extra-powerful magma cannon.

"That's not a bug, that's a FEATURE!"
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 3836