Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855014 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1680 on: March 12, 2010, 07:14:44 pm »

I just got a goblin liaison, is the mountainhome trying to say something  ???
He's named Fancyseduce  ;D fitting. After a look at the legends it appears that we have been attacking the goblins and assimilating them for ages. We even made peace with them eventually, and we are now coabitating in harmony  8) .
Weird world but rather cool.
I will try to reflect that in my fort desing. I wonder if I will have goblins immigrants.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: March 12, 2010, 07:19:31 pm »

Found meh underground river a while ago, but have been savescumming because of problems from its local residents. I'm building my main pump station at a bend where none of the creatures are generally sitting(which is a little distance away in both directions), but every time, either an olmman or snakeman keeps coming up. I stationed my military(8 champion wrestlers) there, but I because they kept knocking them into the air and following them with a flying kick with no thought to their landing(ironically NOT onto any sort of land), I had to station them slight further back, which just so happens to be just outside the I-give-a-damn range. THAT wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't for the fact that instead of running away, the other dwarves keep going back to whatever job they just cancelled(fish, get water), and get killed. The one time I did good, I forgot to save and a little while later when I switched my military to obsidian swords, one of them cut their finger. And bled to death.

Other than that, I'm trying to build a swimming pool outside.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: March 12, 2010, 08:34:10 pm »

I've started ramping out level -9 in my Big Dig project, it has taken a while and I'm going to end up with metric megatons of rock after this. My stockscreen records started to noticeably go down around level -7 and its at the point where I'll have to do a fresh stockpile record update.

By the time I finish, I'll have at least doubled my fortress wealth. I started at a bit over a million, now its around 1,730,000.

Edit: This morning (the 13th), I was looking around on my stocks screen and accidentially hit the stone stockpile which I think I saw at a glance has 200,000+ stone!!!!!! Its been stuck for several minutes and is still loading, GAAHHHH!!!!! :P :P

I would taskmanager it out, but I don't want to lose any progress.....

Edit2: Finally, after 15 minutes or so, it went to the z menu as I had tried to back out right when it hit the stone stockpile section. And yes I have at least 200,000 stone since it says 200,000? in brown text.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 10:57:47 am by smjjames »

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: March 13, 2010, 06:01:28 pm »

Oddom Kindlerelics, the young child who had her hands horribly by a fire imp when she was a baby, lost her mother to madness brought on by injuries sustained from that same imp, and lost her father during a cave-in, has fully recovered - before she had even grown to a full adult!  Healing through three red injuries for a dwarf without any attribute increases, let alone in just a year or two, can't be that common.
You must play until she grows up so you can make her an engraver.  Make sure she has her best masterpieces in the prison.

She became possessed, strange mood'ed for something I apparently didn't have (I usually ignore strange moods since I import at least a few of basically everything specifically for moods), and went insane.  If I had realized it was her at the time, I would have just reloaded.

Other than that...  lost another miner to a cave in.  Bembul Urgetreaties, another casualty of the massive reservoir.

Other than that: the thing is now connected with both diagonal , pressure-equalizing floodgates, screw pumps, and a drain.  The pumps require about 200 power, easily provided by the wind farm above it.

Since I'm trying something different, right now the wind farm enclosure, the entrance ramp, and a refuse pit that's open to the sky (14 z-levels deep, so little worries about invaders jumping in) are the only signs of a fortress from the surface.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: March 13, 2010, 06:06:22 pm »

Still building my Skywalk.  Decided to make the floor entirely gold, so replacing the non gold bits I've put in before I reach any further out in the sky.  Also constructing two rows of statues to force caravans and invaders into a quite specific path to enter my fort's main entrance as part of my plan to have a war with the elves.

One of my dwarves, a legendary wrestler, is up to fifty-two kills, a personal record.  I've put her in a squad of her own and have started sending her out alone to kill ambushes to further increase her killcount.  More on this after the next siege.

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: March 13, 2010, 06:16:51 pm »

210 animals? So that's why my fps was so low...

Currently engaging in a mass slaughter. I think I'm down to 160. It's slow because I only have two butcher shops.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: March 13, 2010, 06:56:09 pm »

If those animals are caged or chained, it shouldn't cause problems.

Anyways, getting close to finished with level -14 of my Big Dig. I've boiled off some rock types to help clear it out. Its primarily those cluster or node formation rocks. I was also going by what color the rock was (aided by the color section of the wiki) since I have the layer rocks which cover the black to light grey and white spectrum and boiled off some of the yellow color rocks. Hrm, should check if orthoclase is the same color codewise as gypsum.

Edit: heh, yea it is, so it'll get boiled off as I have plenty of gypsum.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:58:36 pm by smjjames »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: March 13, 2010, 07:11:38 pm »

Well, I got a good artifact for once - a bit bland, is all. It's a copper shield that is (wait for it...) studded with copper. Oh, being an artifact, it should be at least as good as steel, so I'm happy. I don't have anything better than copper anyway.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: March 13, 2010, 07:36:19 pm »

My armorer just made this:

Icyflashed the Faithful Ivy, an Adamantine high boot

This is a Adamantine high boot. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with Adamantine decorated with horse leather and encircled with bands of Native aluminium Diorite and Alder. This object is adorned with hanging rings of dog leather and menaces with spikes of Adamantine Bismuthinite and Orthoclase.

It's worth 1315200 dwarf bucks (around 1/4th of my total fortress value)...

Yeah that's one mean shoe you got there. If only it had a pair :P

Well time for those masterwork adamantium plate mails then.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:51:01 pm by belannaer »

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: March 13, 2010, 09:58:03 pm »

First migrants of a new fort, a dyer doesn't even wait for his migrant buddies to finish showing up before claiming a workshop and making "Circleshamed" a fox bone warhammer that references itself. I can't help but imagine him arriving at the edge of the map, getting an idea, and then charging off down the mountain slope and leaving all his buddies behind in order to claim a workshop and start working furiously with a crazed look in his eye.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: March 13, 2010, 10:03:12 pm »

Well, I got a good artifact for once - a bit bland, is all. It's a copper shield that is (wait for it...) studded with copper. Oh, being an artifact, it should be at least as good as steel, so I'm happy. I don't have anything better than copper anyway.

Given that you can bash things with your shield, I'm picturing a surface something like a meat tenderizer.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1691 on: March 13, 2010, 10:11:53 pm »

Gearholes has been through the most tumultuous sixth year I've ever seen a fort experience: two sieges (42 Goblins captured between them, at least that many slain too), three caravans, four new species for breeding stock (fox, raccoon, deer, wolf), two and a half towers constructed, a mess of metals smelted, and somehow no Dwarves died in spite of all that happenstance.  206 is going to go down in Gearholes history as the most eventful year ever.

Long-standing mayor Nish Openwinds was knocked out of his position by one of his fellow original seven, Melbil Ponderpaddled.  He's still a little hurt about this fact since Melbil is a mere farmer with no clerical skills at all, but his smelting keeps him busy enough to not care that much.  Countess Prickreleased and her cohorts have been staying true to her last name, and been total pricks released upon the fort in their rampant banning of exports and mandating pointless constructions of goods that will never be allowed to be exported anyway.  What's a Dwarf to do, I ask you?

The fort's animal population has gotten so huge that 6 butcher shops are needed just to keep up with the obscene birth rate.  Keeping the military well supplied with bone bolts is proving a simple task as a result, and everyone is taking crossbow lessons now.  Keeping the fort clothed is also easy with so much leather being made from all the baby animals being slain.  It's slightly morbid, but this fort is largely being kept alive by bestial infanticide.  And it will only get worse as the new herds grow in size.

207 is almost here, and if it's even half as packed as 206 was, Gearholes is going to be the craziest place to live ever.  With almost 5 million wealth, it's a shining beacon of Dwarfkind, and a fine target for marauding Goblins too.
Sanity is for the weak.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: March 13, 2010, 10:24:45 pm »

Found meh underground river a while ago, but have been savescumming because of problems from its local residents. I'm building my main pump station at a bend where none of the creatures are generally sitting(which is a little distance away in both directions), but every time, either an olmman or snakeman keeps coming up. I stationed my military(8 champion wrestlers) there, but I because they kept knocking them into the air and following them with a flying kick with no thought to their landing(ironically NOT onto any sort of land), I had to station them slight further back, which just so happens to be just outside the I-give-a-damn range. THAT wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't for the fact that instead of running away, the other dwarves keep going back to whatever job they just cancelled(fish, get water), and get killed. The one time I did good, I forgot to save and a little while later when I switched my military to obsidian swords, one of them cut their finger. And bled to death.

Other than that, I'm trying to build a swimming pool outside.
Station archers there instead.

I started making my mega-reactor, a huge perpetual motion power plant (although my design calls for a relatively small amount of water usage, that isn't essential). I estimate it will produce about 28,224 units of power net (producing 33,600 and using 5,376) although I'll make it a lot less if it lags. Oh and it's above ground.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: March 13, 2010, 10:48:04 pm »

Note to self: turn off menacing spike impaling corridoor of doom, THEN let dwarves back outside. Ooooh, that was ugly. Medic!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1694 on: March 14, 2010, 12:08:43 am »

In Pagedslipped the Dwarven Boarding School is now in operation.  Weight-sensitive pressure plates in main corridors shunt all children aside to their own mini-fortress, where they party under a waterfall, eat food dropped down from the kitchen, and enjoy the company of the fortress's tame red dragon.  Here the children can spend their childhood years socializing and learning to swim while staying out from underfoot and not bothering the rest of the fortress.  When they mature at 12 years of age a second set of weight-sensitive pressure plates automatically lets each child out into the main fortress to join adult society.

In other news, the lower part of the magma pressurization tower went online, providing magma to the industrial layer and the outer magma moat.  This will allow me to tear down the old magma feed chain, saving a lot of space and recovering many mechanisms and wooden logs.  The upper part of the magma pressurization tower is still under assembly, I will need to make many more green glass pipes and corkscrews to finish it before I can fill the clear glass capstone on the main pyramid-fortress.

Shortly after the magma pump tower went online, the magma golem hiding at the bottom of the pipe got loose and is now wandering around the magma feed pipe.  I don't think he can escape or reach anything he can damage, but I'm keeping an eye on him.

The Tax Collector has been successfully placed in suspended animation, still alive but no longer troubled by such things as mandates or the luxurious bedrooms of inferior dwarves.  Soon the Countess Consort and Hammered will join him.  The Count and Dungeon Master have duties to perform that require them to remain unsuspended, sadly.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 3836