Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857313 times)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1695 on: March 14, 2010, 12:35:10 am »

In Pagedslipped the Dwarven Boarding School is now in operation.  Weight-sensitive pressure plates in main corridors shunt all children aside to their own mini-fortress, where they party under a waterfall, eat food dropped down from the kitchen, and enjoy the company of the fortress's tame red dragon.  Here the children can spend their childhood years socializing and learning to swim while staying out from underfoot and not bothering the rest of the fortress.  When they mature at 12 years of age a second set of weight-sensitive pressure plates automatically lets each child out into the main fortress to join adult society.

In other news, the lower part of the magma pressurization tower went online, providing magma to the industrial layer and the outer magma moat.  This will allow me to tear down the old magma feed chain, saving a lot of space and recovering many mechanisms and wooden logs.  The upper part of the magma pressurization tower is still under assembly, I will need to make many more green glass pipes and corkscrews to finish it before I can fill the clear glass capstone on the main pyramid-fortress.

Shortly after the magma pump tower went online, the magma golem hiding at the bottom of the pipe got loose and is now wandering around the magma feed pipe.  I don't think he can escape or reach anything he can damage, but I'm keeping an eye on him.

The Tax Collector has been successfully placed in suspended animation, still alive but no longer troubled by such things as mandates or the luxurious bedrooms of inferior dwarves.  Soon the Countess Consort and Hammered will join him.  The Count and Dungeon Master have duties to perform that require them to remain unsuspended, sadly.
Sounds interesting. Any chance of it getting uploaded to DFMA?
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1696 on: March 14, 2010, 02:53:54 am »

gorramit

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit:

Alas, the wagons got inside, but my uninvited guest decided to harras human guards and trade mules before letting herself be caged. Thus wagons left but hey, I welcome any new player in my soon-to-be gladiator ring.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:40:42 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: March 14, 2010, 03:20:22 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51019.0
Currently BEWILDERED.

I savescummed--I would have missed the human caravan because of this... whatever it is. My megaconstruction is almost complete. A pressure washer, to be exact. I can't WAIT for the next siege (assuming I get it finished in time). It's been a LONG time since one... so I'm kinda worried what they're planning. It's been years since any attack of any kind... so yeah. On edge, kinda worried, and just finishing up a mega construction. It's a good time to be a dwarf.

EDIT: Now don't I feel silly. Trees got in the way.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:32:16 am by Kza »
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Kitpup

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fuzzy One
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1698 on: March 14, 2010, 04:57:54 am »

I got ambushed by elves.... I... haven't had any interaction with elves. I haven't kill't a lot of trees or plants. I haven't had a single elf caravan enter my map. And they ambushed me.

...fucking elves.
Quote from: My Brain
Dig little diggah, dig!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1699 on: March 14, 2010, 10:30:52 am »

Sounds interesting. Any chance of it getting uploaded to DFMA?
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8247-pagedslipped
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: March 14, 2010, 10:42:48 am »

The Tax Collector has been successfully placed in suspended animation

by 'suspended animation' you mean what? frozen right?
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1701 on: March 14, 2010, 10:54:19 am »

The Tax Collector has been successfully placed in suspended animation

by 'suspended animation' you mean what? frozen right?
Careful exploitation of the "creature stuck in midair" bug.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: March 14, 2010, 11:55:29 am »

I got ambushed by elves.... I... haven't had any interaction with elves. I haven't kill't a lot of trees or plants. I haven't had a single elf caravan enter my map. And they ambushed me.

...fucking elves.

I think your civ was at war with them when you started out your fort.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: March 14, 2010, 02:23:39 pm »

After a few years of war with the orcs in a temp fort, I got an orcish caravan. Huh. I guess anyone really can send one, though I would've figured that Rysith would've added some kind of token that makes the "let's trade and not have homicidal relations!" chance all but disappear.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: March 14, 2010, 02:50:57 pm »

I finished my Big Dig project quite a while ago and am currently in the cleanup phase. Deciding that I needed a bigger workforce, I set the popcap to 200 from my usual 100. I'm also planning on getting rid of the mining corps guys because I don't REALLY need 40 legendary miners, plus it closes off more dwarves to other potential moods than I'd like.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: March 14, 2010, 02:56:24 pm »

I started a new fortress and got slapped by native platinum, i dont like how it weighs so much, it annoys me to see my mason run to grab charcole, put it in the smelter, han run and grab native platinum ore and meagerly crawl back.
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Pafferguy

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: March 14, 2010, 06:33:16 pm »

I just lost my first fortress ever! (Actually it was my third, but the first two lasted less than 30 minutes so they don't count.  I was just into the second year when I finally found the cave river I had been looking for.  Being very careful about this, I dug up and across until I just dug into plain dry stone.  Then I went to the level below that (logically the first level of the river) only to find out that the left half of the river (which I breached) was 2 z-levels below the right!  Then, the river ran down the staircase and ate everyone.
P.S. How can I avoid having this happen in the future?  Do you just have to get lucky and dig into the top level on the map?
"Battle not with megabeasts, lest ye become a megabeast, and if you gaze into the chasm, the chasm gazes also into you."- Friedrich Nietzsche

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: March 14, 2010, 06:38:34 pm »

P.S. How can I avoid having this happen in the future?  Do you just have to get lucky and dig into the top level on the map?

Digging straight down or up when near an uncovered river is generally a bad call since you likely won't get the damp stone warning. A good piece of advice is to back up a bunch then dig down and re-approach until you've safely uncovered the bugger.

Pafferguy

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: March 14, 2010, 06:47:47 pm »

I didn't dig straight up, I backed off to the staicase I came through and dug across.  But like I said, the right half of the river was higher up, like a waterfall or something, so the top of my half was actually under high pressure.  As I found out to my chagrin.
"Battle not with megabeasts, lest ye become a megabeast, and if you gaze into the chasm, the chasm gazes also into you."- Friedrich Nietzsche

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: March 14, 2010, 06:51:23 pm »

I didn't dig straight up, I backed off to the staicase I came through and dug across.  But like I said, the right half of the river was higher up, like a waterfall or something, so the top of my half was actually under high pressure.  As I found out to my chagrin.

Ah, k, misunderstood. I guess if you really really want to be careful you could slowly dig your way around the river's outline by following the flashing damp tiles until you found the dry drop area. But there's always a tiny chance that you'll get unlucky, I guess, like in your situation.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 3836