Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5838836 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1725 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:56 am »

temp is on. I also had two dwarves catch fire earlier on. Well, it doesn't matter now, since the pup is dead. Not from magma, mind you; He managed to path through the magma somehow (a couple spots dried up, giving him somewhere to go) and work his way back into the fort where he was summarily put to death as part of a massive puppy culling.

I'm not sure, but I suspect this may have come about due to the puppy moving onto the tile exactly at the same time as the magma teleported. Anyone know if this is possible?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:00:32 pm by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: March 15, 2010, 02:30:38 pm »

I've just been reading my copy of the Tolkien encyclopedia and the section on Dwarves has some very inspirational descriptions which are currently influencing my fort:

"Their mansions had grand halls filled with bright banners, armour, jewelled weapons and fine tapestries. Starlight shone down great light-wells and played upon mirroring pools and sparkling silver fountains. In echoing domes, by the light of crystal lamps, bright gemstones and veins of precious ores might be seen. In walls of jet polished like glass, dreaming marble forms were visible, and winding stair or twisting avenue might lead to tall, fair tower or court of many-coloured stone. Tunnels lead to courtyards and grottos with columns of alabaster, fluted by time and the gentle promptings o Dwarf chisels."

Consequently added to my 'to-do' list are:

- Silver Fountain in the main courtyard hall.

- Palace complex made from Alabaster and Jet.

- Lots of random armour stands.

- Encrust all weapons with gems

- make more murals and mozaics

- Platinum and brass domes in the roof

- Alabaster column tower with golden statue on top

Unfortunately I  don't yet have any alabaster and neither do the dwarf caravans :(.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: March 15, 2010, 03:39:17 pm »

My magma pool had no deck. And I was having trouble figuring out where to dig  so that I could channel in the magna to my work room pipes  because the lava level below was way bigger around then the air level. I made a horrible mistake, and killed 2/7 dwarves.
Time to regen.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: March 15, 2010, 03:54:51 pm »

operation flood the world with magma is taking too long, so I've decided to flood half the world with magma, and the other half with water, and ave an obsidian tower in the middle

Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: March 15, 2010, 04:01:47 pm »

Currently playing my own mods, which so far has led to being attacked by hordes of ogres bringing packs of blind dragon pets. Being incredibly hard to kill, I've just been capturing the majority and storing them. Eventually, I constructed a 10-level pit and dumped all (which was a huge number) except the elite ogres into it. It was universal gibs, and an upper arm actually made it back to the first level. Now to fill my refuse stockpile...

I'm considering doing the same for the Blind Dragons, but the butchering of every myriad bit that goes flying away will take too long. Perhaps a drowning chamber?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: March 15, 2010, 04:05:15 pm »

Playing my little mod still.
Just repelled another mass of crazy shruk by my sworddwarves, marksdwarves and a pair of centaur axemen. My, a lot of blood and flying 'Blarhashg the Shruk left lower arm's.

Now I will have surplus of bones for training bolts, yay!
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Pafferguy

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: March 15, 2010, 05:32:00 pm »

I finally got fed up with the huge fluid flow lag on my flooding fortress and started a new one in an evil mountain area.  There are skeletal chasm beasts... they scare me.  Also, have an absolute TON of gold ore around.  What should I do with it?  Crafts?  Furniture?  Turn it into electrum?
"Battle not with megabeasts, lest ye become a megabeast, and if you gaze into the chasm, the chasm gazes also into you."- Friedrich Nietzsche

Kitpup

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fuzzy One
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1732 on: March 15, 2010, 06:02:23 pm »

Hanging out with an FPS that's <10 more often than not, for no apparent reason. And constructing a massive web-like network of tunnels and channels to keep my ponds full of water (brook) year-round. Because I can.
Quote from: My Brain
Dig little diggah, dig!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: March 15, 2010, 08:02:49 pm »

finally making an arena on my bottom most level

its gonna have a dwarf built into the floor with orthoclase and around it will be rough granite floor

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1734 on: March 15, 2010, 08:20:02 pm »

Started my sixth fort (switching between it and Matchshield).  Matchshield gets a bit boring occasionally - invasions off (for now), all wild animals in cages or locked up in the tower o'death, and enough food and drink to last comfortably for 113 years (I did the math).

Surprisingly, this is my first one in mountainous terrain, and first one with a chasm.  I hit the chasm right where I wanted the trade depot to be.  I know there's a cave river around here somewhere from the "Cave Crocodile has given birth to hatchlings" messages.  Fun!
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: March 15, 2010, 08:55:46 pm »

Figured out how to deal with the river creatures, mostly. A few cage traps are enough to sort out most of what came up. Did see a skill-less Fisherdwarf wrestle to death at least one of them, maybe two. It wasn't my military dwarves, since I already sent them sparring outside my front gate.

Now, to deal with the double-ambushe that came up... Oddly, the goblins don't see the group of champion wrestlers in the open and immediately think, "oh look, free kills!!"
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: March 15, 2010, 09:16:10 pm »

my first child just reached adulthood

i cant wait for my legendary bonecarver child to reach adulthood. i could use a legendary bonecarver

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: March 15, 2010, 09:25:45 pm »

In the middle of an animalsplosion. I can't kill them as fast as they have sex, and they number more than my dwarves. Resorting to a mass caging. I sure hope they like getting crammed 50 to a cage.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 15, 2010, 09:27:09 pm »

In the middle of an animalsplosion. I can't kill them as fast as they have sex, and they number more than my dwarves. Resorting to a mass caging. I sure hope they like getting crammed 50 to a cage.

The wiki offers valuable advice.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: March 15, 2010, 09:42:28 pm »

about to test out my arena

im going to use one of my new hammerdwarves to test it out

what kind of goblin should i use?

ive got macemen, wrestlers, axemen, a spearmaster, and a dwarf guard(WTF)
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 3836