Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1187 1188 [1189] 1190 1191 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862169 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17820 on: December 24, 2011, 02:39:08 am »

First summer has arrived in the no booze no farm no plant gathering fort. Everyone are still with sanity thanks to the crude statues we set up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EDIT: first winter has arrived and the dwarves are getting used to being sober.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:29:16 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17821 on: December 24, 2011, 03:13:12 pm »

A group of badgers just performed a surgical strike on my livestock. They killed one chicken in the center of the fort.
EDIT: I've built water tanks around the fort to prevent any potential fires.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:14:11 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #17822 on: December 24, 2011, 03:49:10 pm »

Oddly enough, despite living in a turkey pen, he is ecstatic.

Maybe he really likes turkeys..

In my latest, got hit with a mood, and the idiot wants ivory, or horns, or something I don't have. Sigh. Either gotta try walling him or sending in my very undertrained militia..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17823 on: December 24, 2011, 08:26:31 pm »

Goblins finaly sent an ambush, two groups, one of sword-gobs and one of bow-gobs, the swordsmen killed a recruit, cutting open his heart through the *copper breastplate*, the bowmen got a couple of the war dogs and injured 4 of my military dwarves, my doctors are working on cleaning and suturing them up now. The only other casualties were elven, the caravan arrived shortly before the ambushers, and the goblin bowmen slaughtered the elves before they made it to the depot. Oh well, free stuff I suppose, though I doubt the tree-huggers will be happy about this.

On the plus side, we got some goblinite, so we may be able to make a few pieces of steel armour finally.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #17824 on: December 24, 2011, 09:06:51 pm »

My volcano fort is going on year 4, and though I was -not- able to find the caverns in time to get GCS Silk for my mooding dwarf, I have struck an aquifer.
So now I have an unlimited supply of magma, water, and a berserking dwarf locked in a clothier's workshop. My military is coming along great, I've got the miners working on digging out the next best thing to a magma/bottomless pit for a trapped pathway, and... still no goblins. Or elfs. ... or anything really. Just one Dwarf caravan per year, a few migrants every so often, and some badger-people at the base of the volcano that occasionally enrage, then wander away. It's alittle lonely, really.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #17825 on: December 25, 2011, 12:49:09 am »

Just had the best embark I have seen. Small 3x3 area (home for the holidays, computer slower than mine) with native gold, platinum, tons of tetrahedrite, sphalerite, galena, and gems galore before I even dig anything. Oh, and marble everywhere. Plus- bamboo! Can't seem to cut it down (many Asian societies construct w bamboo, so you should be able to imo) but it's still cool. Natural spring canyon, so perfect for defense. Merry Christmas to me!

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17826 on: December 25, 2011, 01:06:48 am »

Just had the best embark I have seen. Small 3x3 area (home for the holidays, computer slower than mine) with native gold, platinum, tons of tetrahedrite, sphalerite, galena, and gems galore before I even dig anything. Oh, and marble everywhere. Plus- bamboo! Can't seem to cut it down (many Asian societies construct w bamboo, so you should be able to imo) but it's still cool. Natural spring canyon, so perfect for defense. Merry Christmas to me!

Bamboo currently is only for certain animals to eat, it's not really useful otherwise. hopefully it's made into something more useful in later versions - bamboo crafts, or furniture, would be nice.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17827 on: December 25, 2011, 01:26:04 pm »

My clothier is going on a robe-making spree.
I'm robbing all elf caravans and having him produce record amounts of robes. Then, I use those robes to buy silk from the caravan, and thus gain even more profit.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17828 on: December 25, 2011, 04:11:53 pm »

Well, Hit spoilerite.. mined out about 5 pieces of it, and then cracked open a box of !!FUN!!

... I knew this fortress would end up digging too deep, I thought I'd at least have enough spoilerite for one well-armoured dwarf first though -.- just gonna let this play out to see how it goes I guess. I feel this will be the last stand of Yorring, in late winter of year 128, almost 4 years after it was founded.

.............. And now the mountain is on fire and the giant eagle that has been here since embark has burned to death...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 04:30:07 pm by Jenniretta »

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17829 on: December 25, 2011, 04:47:38 pm »

Spoilerite. I love it. Much more dwarfy than "candy". Good show, madam!

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17830 on: December 25, 2011, 06:22:52 pm »

Spoilerite. I love it. Much more dwarfy than "candy". Good show, madam!

Thank you :)

So everyone died, one buck rabbit had a 76 page long combat report, all in one fight, against one creature... eventually the poor rabbit bled to death after fighting this creature for a while.  the report reads mostly the <spoiler> kicks the stray buck rabbit, the shot glances off, the rabbit died because the fire spreading down the mountainside finally got to him and caused him to bleed out, eventually. The <spoiler> didn't even hurt the rabbit, just trapped it in a corner until the fire caught it.
The only one who really put up a fight was the militia captain.. who was in jail at the time, and had the only steel armour around. He took one down with him, then they all ignored him while he slowly died of hunger (yes, they let him starve, instead of killing him violently like a true dwarf deserves!)

I don't think any attempt to reclaim this fortress will be made, though a foolish adventurer might stumble in looking for lost treasures.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17831 on: December 25, 2011, 06:44:05 pm »

Of course, you're responsible for unleashing that unfathomable horror upon the entire world. ;)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17832 on: December 26, 2011, 04:50:04 pm »

New fort, Castlehawk, hot tropical rainforest with a brook and an aquifer. I spent a month and a half unsuspending walls. Praise be to Armok for the aquifer only being one z-level tall, because I don't think I'd have survived doing that more than once. Still, I'm through!! Yay!! Though I did have to do the deconstruct-the-depot trick to get anything off the dwarven caravan because by the time I was done punching through the aquifer it was already Timber.

Note to self for future aquifer embarks: TWO MINERS. TWO. ALWAYS TWO. SERIOUSLY.

Now to making that outer wall...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Sroge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17833 on: December 26, 2011, 05:29:20 pm »

Currently digging for spoilerite, but after reading some previous entries I'm not sure if I want to anymore. I'm down at about z=-150, and it looks like the end of the caverns. Well, if !!FUN!! breaks loose, at least I'll have a little fun watching all those useless migrants burn.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17834 on: December 26, 2011, 05:41:09 pm »

Well, I loaded up the game, and discovered that two separate fires had been started outside the walls, in the corpse stockpiles (trying to clean up the map of all the corpses and crap between sieges.)

I have absolutely no idea what happened, but I managed to get everyone inside and safe before they started melting. The fire be raging across the whole map now, but even the wild panda man tribe thats wandering around in it isn't melting and dieing. So that's odd.

One way to clean up the unwanted trash, I suppose.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1187 1188 [1189] 1190 1191 ... 3836