Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862305 times)

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17835 on: December 26, 2011, 06:48:25 pm »

Embarked with 25 plump helmet spawn

plump helmets [1633]
quarry bushes [56]
bloated tubers [6]
wild strawberries [9]
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17836 on: December 26, 2011, 07:16:55 pm »

Following the tragic and highly entertaining fall of my last fort, I embarked in a new area. This area is on a medium-height hill in a red-sand desert, no water sources or wood above ground, only sand as far as the eye can see.

So, I decide to set up a small area for the basic needs of the fortress, and start digging down.

Hit the first cavern, which turned out to have no floor and drops straight into the second cavern, currently digging for the 3rd, once I find it I'm going to go for the magma sea, then start building the fortress proper in the warm embrace of the earths molten core. Once the fortress has been established deep in the earth, I'll be building long pathways with ramps leading all the way to the surface for migrants, the caravans and would-be invaders to pass through, with the Depot at the bottom, possibly suspended over magma depending on hot well behaved the magma sea decides to be.

My mason is hard at work making Hatch covers and stone blocks for our defenses, while my doctor takes up stone crafting for pots, and my farmer tends to the fields and still.

We're still in our first summer, and we hope to hit magma by winters end.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17837 on: December 26, 2011, 07:19:44 pm »

Locked my expedition leader & my manager in a room together for 7 months before they finally hooked up. They're both extremely friendly & social: He has 4 friends, she has 5. Some other dwarfette, who is extremely reserved and avoids other people, has 7 friends. Looks like the mayoral election is gonna go to the dark-horse candidate . . .

Good thing I'm a better overseer than campaign manager--although I really should start digging out that dining hall. Some tables & chairs scattered through a random hallway aren't going to cut it when the next migrant wave is expected to double my population.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Achitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17838 on: December 26, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »

In my outside fortress, some buzzards showed up and caused the usual amount of irrational panic that ensues when wild animals get too close to the civilians, and this is early on so I have no shooters to knock the big vermin out of the sky, i tried my best to ignore them, then all of a sudden I see a combat report, and it would seem a buzzard entered the dormitory building and tried to assassinate an engraver in his sleep, luckily there was a soldier around that just woke up in there and stopped the winged would-be murderer.

I found it bizzare, the poor engraver got pecked up pretty bad, with muscle tearings in the legs and torso, but it looks like he'll live, the buzzard must've rushed in through the roof access and paniced when it ran into my sleeping engraver, whole thing could've gone worse, and this is a budding fort and I need all the manpower I can muster.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17839 on: December 26, 2011, 09:06:59 pm »

Disaster!

The tigermen man'd up and brought their war dragon mounts this year. They uncloaked to attack the animals above the entrance and torched the entry drawbridge and traps on the dodge-pit causeway, torching the grass on the interior of the walls and threatening the livestock with a brish fire. Goblins and tigermen are pouring in. I've initiated panic mode and sent everyone to the dining hall but I have no way to lock it down as of yet, because I figured the fortress was impenetrable and I was busy with other tasks.

I will never laugh at the tigermen for arriving naked and unarmed again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Magmodeus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17840 on: December 26, 2011, 09:08:14 pm »

Fired up a new fort. Currently digging out the living quarters and trying to keep more migrants out.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17841 on: December 26, 2011, 09:13:46 pm »

OH GODS NOT THE WOOD STOCKPILE! WE'RE DOOMED!

Well, the militia took out what few tigerman invaders made it down into the fortress, and the goblins had already retreated. I'd call it a victory if I had any way to put out the fires.

Well, it got worse when I sent the troops outside to secure the entryway (fires moved on to the northern pastures.) Turns out the tigermen and their animals from a given group don't uncloack at the same time, so a lesser dragon adn wyvern were hanging out on the bridge, and torched a couple rangers before being put down. Also found a minotaur crossbowman in the bottom of the dodge-pit. Oh, and a turkey hen and large rat chose to die ofold age together, 200 yards apart. The rat was just about to be burned alive, so I consider him lucky.

Now the soldiers are duking it out on the dodge-pit bridge with more wyverns, and I'm starting to lose soldiers due to gravity.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:31:29 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17842 on: December 26, 2011, 09:29:26 pm »

Well Tombrabbits of Chaos has been progressing slowly, due to FPS 25 and limited free time.

Two kids were accidentally atom smashed.
That's what I they get for operating machinery without supervision.

When the human caravan leaves, I gotta start patrols, cause I got that feelin that seige-a-comin
Does anyone else still get random crashes when you setup patrol routes?

One fun thing is that I've finished design of my hexes.
I'm going to start towering upward with hexes soon enough, since digging just generates more rock.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, I guess that picture also shows the mangled-dwarf-spam.
Well our hacky sack league only has a few (dis)members, and its funny how they always end up becoming mayor.
I guess I gotta tell them to practice somewhere else besides the meeting hall.

Finally, I can't seem to get burrows to work with mining.
You declare a burrow, assign one dwarf, then dig, but lots of dwarves seem to ignore the burrow. Any ideas?

Edit:
Darn you Google Docs, so good yet so bad at hosting (who needs security anyway)?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:48:28 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17843 on: December 26, 2011, 09:32:43 pm »

The battle and fires are finally over. Casualties include 21 of 35 militia dwarves including all the decent ones (fuck), 80% of my sheep, 90% of the war dogs and pigs stationed above the entryway, and the entire wood stockpile, half the traps on the dodge-pit causeway, the entry bridge, and my own morale.
And the worst part is that I probably have dozens of enemies in ambush outside the walls that I won't be able to deal with.

Dragonward does not infact have the capacity to defend against dragons.
I make Spellcrafts!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17844 on: December 26, 2011, 09:36:07 pm »

40 syndrome enduced vegitables who have no central nervous system to speak of with miasma oozing from their orifices as their brains necrotise. On the upside, more fps!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17845 on: December 26, 2011, 09:50:13 pm »

We struck magma early, the first caravan has yet to arrive and the first floors of the fortress are being carved out in the marble layers above the molten sea, the furnaces and forges are going to be the deepest level of the fortress, with nothing keeping them from the magma but a thin floor of marble.

The farms will have to be moved down soon, else the long hauls from the sand layers cause food to rot and dwarves to starve. Though the soil ended far back, there is plenty of water, and with a little dwarven ingenuity I'm sure we can force fertility even into the rough-hewn marble and granite that makes up our home.

The Caverns are starting to echo with the screech of giant bats, and snap of crocodile jaws, no telling what greater horrors approach from the depths of the earth, but we best prepare our defenses with haste!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17846 on: December 26, 2011, 10:22:46 pm »

Migrants arrived right atop a tribe of moose men. The first one to enter the map was invariably slaughtered. There were only 6 other dwarves in the wave, including a married couple and their two children.

It's a bad year in Dragonward, and I can see sooo many opportunities for it to get worse.
I make Spellcrafts!

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17847 on: December 26, 2011, 10:43:27 pm »

We've just repelled our first true siege!  Not some single-squad group of goblins running about on foot, but a three-squad invasion force on giant toads and jabberers, with a brute squad of trolls to add to the Fun.  And the training has been paying off, as only one dwarf got hurt in the fight (and she walked back, so I guess the foot wound wasn't that bad).

In semi-militaristic news, we've decided to restrict access to our fortress.  A single system of bridges should greatly aid in this.  And with the silver vein we've just hit, we're going to make it pure silver all the way to make the other races look bad.

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17848 on: December 26, 2011, 10:51:28 pm »

My butcher is hauling the Roc my military killed to the butcher shop. Very, very slowly.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17849 on: December 27, 2011, 01:51:29 am »

Gem setting is amazingly useful. I turned this worthless 120 Urist piece of crap mica trade good into something worth ~2500 Urists by decorating it with gems some 15 times.
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 3836