Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1275 1276 [1277] 1278 1279 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854348 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19140 on: February 15, 2012, 09:13:02 pm »

I decided to forego making my first embark in an evil region for what I thought could be equally saisfying: A necromancer tower (Just Embark still functions, by the way.)

I have had zero real problems in the year since embarking because I immediately locked the necromancers and their zombies in the tower and began digging out the fortress, which yielded enough stone to wall in around 1/3 of the map. So now I have a fully sealed-in fortress with a necromancer's tower on the western wall.

Only things to show up so far ahve been rhesus macaques and ravens, and some kobold thieves. The majority of the migrants have been historical figures with military skills, so these pests weren't hard to deal with. I have a population of 54,the majority of which are interrelated so I can't exactly screen for a military with no friends or family. The first ranger squad consists entirely of maried couples. Tantrum spiral ho!

Now the question is how I should utilize these ten or so necromancers-in-a-box. The necromancers themselves are friendly, but I'd need some ploy to separate them from the zombies. I'm thinking make a little run and have a section of wall removed, letting the zombies chase the dorf that removes the wall all the way through the run, which will include a pit with no exit to trap them in. Maybe that same run could be the forts' primary dodge-pit trap, and one of the necromancers could be prodded into position over the pit to zombify the masses that fall in. It would be glorious! Soon the pit would be so full of undead in various states of disrepair that goblins who fell in would be subject to years of torturous combat before death - and undeath - catches them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19141 on: February 15, 2012, 09:16:23 pm »

Tantrum spiral ho!

Doing quite well on my terrifying embark (I got lucky, all I have is 'giant frozen blood snow' and an absolute minimum of limb reanimation.), the only problem I face are hordes of ice wolves that occasionally wander past. To combat this I have built a wall, drawbridge and moat around the fortress entrance to keep them out, unfortunately, a child ran out earlier and got killed before my squad (consisting of the seven mining-pick wielding founders) could save her. She was the first to be buried in the crypts of the fortress.

Since then I closed the drawbridge and I got about four months of 'Rith Asreriden, dwarven child has cancelled collect owned item: item misplaced'. Only when the elven caravan  arrived (They had wood, I didn't, I had to let them in) and I lowered the drawbridge did the girl run out and head to where the first child had died. I checked her relationships and found out the dead girl was her older sister. She went to the spot where her sister had died and collected all of her belongings to bring them back.

It was quite touching.

That's a bit of an "Aww... I feel bad now" moment. And just because the elves had to be let in doesn't mean you have to let them out.

And why would they tantrum when they can take out thier rage on the enemy? Seeing as breakin' skullz makes them feel better, give'em some hammers and let them have at it with any invaders if they get pissy.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19142 on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:05 pm »

A weregoat attacked my fisherdwarf.  They both fell into the water, then the weregoat transformed back into a human and wandered away.  Fisherdwarf also climbed out and survived with a massive scar on his arm.

Also, I didn't notice until just now... but a spire of adamantine is rising right out of the ground in a corner of my embark area.  It actually goes up one level into the sky.  So, uh, guess I already have adamantine I can mine.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19143 on: February 15, 2012, 09:24:28 pm »

A weregoat attacked my fisherdwarf.  They both fell into the water, then the weregoat transformed back into a human and wandered away.  Fisherdwarf also climbed out and survived with a massive scar on his arm.

Also, I didn't notice until just now... but a spire of adamantine is rising right out of the ground in a corner of my embark area.  It actually goes up one level into the sky.  So, uh, guess I already have adamantine I can mine.

Ok, why can't I ever have nice things like this?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19144 on: February 15, 2012, 09:27:15 pm »

If you are in an evil biome, perhaps you can release the clowns and let them fight zombies.  Or perhaps even become zombies.

Zombie Clowns.  Anyone seen them yet?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19145 on: February 15, 2012, 09:27:48 pm »

We're eatin' Giant Louse, tonight, baby! Alongside some prepared crundle intestines.

Things are running smoothly. TOO smoothly.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19146 on: February 15, 2012, 09:31:50 pm »

My legendary stoneworker has gone berserk and it's beating the mayor to death with a (cave spider silk shoe). 20 pages of battle report and counting...

EDIT: A random presser just came and stabbed the stoneworker's throat. The mayor's tantruming. That brute broke his spine with a shoe and several of his internal organs have been turned into pulp... On his way to the hospital now.

Just another day.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:35:59 pm by Sallen »

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19147 on: February 15, 2012, 09:35:02 pm »

all my dwarfs are dying to vampires. I NEED HELPZ
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19148 on: February 15, 2012, 09:36:09 pm »

Buy blood, see if that works.
Otherwise have him meet mr. atom smasher.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19149 on: February 15, 2012, 09:37:52 pm »

so... how do learn which dwarf is the damned thing

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Plasson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19150 on: February 15, 2012, 09:38:46 pm »

So,  after years on and off playing DF,  I got my first Dragon to appear.  woo !FUN! I think..   

Now I have a squad of goblins I had ignored ofr sometime to go away,  squad of bowmen and my Marksdwarves isn't good enough to engage them head on, so I left them there, having built my fort over a river it only blocks out half the board.     Now the dragon mad a beeline for those Gobs, get one breath of fire off, only hitting some poor shrubbery, while 3 of the gobs score good hits on their first volley.  Dragon falls over,  More arrows and the lone Mace gobb gets to close the distance and whack it a few times, before finally he figures out where the head is, and Bashes the skull in.

Anti-climatic, and disapointing, was hoping to do a heroic battle, with many epic engravings to follow..

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19151 on: February 15, 2012, 09:39:53 pm »

Meeting zones, trophy hunting, fortress wide starving, olympic games... Oh and looking for your historic migrants. You'll know you've got a vampire when you've found one.

Plasson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19152 on: February 15, 2012, 09:40:12 pm »

I did that.  but mind that the dwarf will go "missing"    Unsure of how it will affect the fort in the long run though.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19153 on: February 15, 2012, 09:40:58 pm »

I did that.  but mind that the dwarf will go "missing"    Unsure of how it will affect the fort in the long run though.

i still don't know how to find which one is the vampire

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19154 on: February 15, 2012, 09:41:49 pm »

So,  after years on and off playing DF,  I got my first Dragon to appear.  woo !FUN! I think..   

Now I have a squad of goblins I had ignored ofr sometime to go away,  squad of bowmen and my Marksdwarves isn't good enough to engage them head on, so I left them there, having built my fort over a river it only blocks out half the board.     Now the dragon mad a beeline for those Gobs, get one breath of fire off, only hitting some poor shrubbery, while 3 of the gobs score good hits on their first volley.  Dragon falls over,  More arrows and the lone Mace gobb gets to close the distance and whack it a few times, before finally he figures out where the head is, and Bashes the skull in.

Anti-climatic, and disapointing, was hoping to do a heroic battle, with many epic engravings to follow..

Dragons need to get buffed. They're just too easy to kill. Can be funny as hell when you manage to tame one though. Ever seen a war dragon backhand a goblin into a million bits and coat a wall with him?

Try looking at thier kill counts. should be a dead giveaway. Appearently they tend to have rediculously huge ones.
I thought I had one, but she was a hunter. But if majority kills seem to be dwarves and they dumped alot of trinkets you can't sell when they showed up....
Pages: 1 ... 1275 1276 [1277] 1278 1279 ... 3836