Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1336 1337 [1338] 1339 1340 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858303 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20055 on: February 27, 2012, 03:34:18 pm »

I just finished world gen for a new world.

I had to let it gen as I was at work.

56k alive w/ 180k hist. figures @615 years.  No pop cap, no site cap.  Mineral scarcity 100.  River sources: 3,000.  MADNESS.  Also, so little room for fortresses :(

Faux edit:  Shit, 45,000 of them are elves.

Hmm... if I pump vast amounts of magma on the surface of a thick glacier, will the results be as hilarious as I think they will?

I've done this and it was a brief moment of "hey this is cool" and then the rest was "OH GOD MY FPS IS DIEING!"

Magma doesn't kill zombies, it just makes them angry and on fire.

And never forget this either.

Almost as good as some of my forts :P
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20056 on: February 27, 2012, 03:58:09 pm »

I forgot that your old dwarves could immigrate. My first migrant wave contained some guys from my previous fort. Most of them arrived miserable. I've had one go beserk, two stricken by melancholy, and one go stark raving mad. And my starting woodworker has just been bled dry in the dormitory. Fun!

Protesilaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20057 on: February 27, 2012, 04:22:28 pm »

I just finished world gen for a new world.

I had to let it gen as I was at work.

56k alive w/ 180k hist. figures @615 years.  No pop cap, no site cap.  Mineral scarcity 100.  River sources: 3,000.  MADNESS.  Also, so little room for fortresses :(

Faux edit:  Shit, 45,000 of them are elves.
I would be cool if rather than there being an artificial cap to the world when you set it, the game would just mape the world more and more deadly until it reaches a plateau. 

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20058 on: February 27, 2012, 04:38:45 pm »

Hanging in one if the best fortresses I've ever built, complete with skytower (or.. getting there at least)
I'm now at 73 dwarves and running at a blazing speed of ....14FPS. This could be because I've told them all to go pick up stone for lack of something to do, but turning on fastdwarf makes the game normal and playable.

I've been making gold and adamantine bars like mad yet still only have an expedition leader. I'm not saying I miss the mandates, it just.. where I'm at there's not much progression.

Because I'm sitting at 14FPS, I spend a lot of time tabbed out of the game. I open DwarfTherapist and find someone with no job. (!)
I look over him and I get the following stats:
-Often does the first thing that comes to mind
-Very friendly
-Occasionally overindulges
-Does not feel effective in life

Does not.... feel....
Oh DUH! You're a baby! Of course you're not effective in life! Now stop being less happy then everyone else! >:(

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20059 on: February 27, 2012, 04:39:38 pm »

More boring updates...

Greenglass factory back online after a brief hiatus. Stocks of greenglass blocks were astronomically high, and needed to be thinned. The stockpile was regurgitating.

Nearly finished with 3 levels of the phase 1 construction now.

Disposed of a glut of over 1500 obsidian cabochons that were stuffing up the gem stockpile. Its nice that the cabochon form weighs almost nothing, but sucks that they are almost worthless. It took me literally an hour last night in the trade menu selecting all the obsidian cabochons out of the gem bins. Succeeded in disposal via the dwarven caravan though. Used them as the trade goods for this years shipment of metal bars and wood. (Its taking them an inordinate amount of time to load their wagons though....)

Having ditched all those polished pebbles, I can now landscape a few more tiers of surface.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20060 on: February 27, 2012, 04:41:27 pm »

The problem when you reclaim a fort in which your dwarves made a good job for years , giving it a great wealth is that you then inherit of such wealth, leading you to attract titans much earlier

By example, after the 1st migrant wave, my reclaimed fort is at 20 population (14 adults only), and what did i see just after that

A "were tortoise" ! only after the 1st year of this expedition survival.
Good that due to the reclaim i have weaponry and armor everywhere in the fort.

The other problem of reclaimed long lived fortress being to put every items that are now all over the maps into their stockpile, after a year of this expedition, only half of it is now in stock.

edit : fortunately before reaching the fort it transformed back into his human shape.
Poor thing, got spear-ed and axe-ed in no time.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:47:32 pm by Robsoie »

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20061 on: February 27, 2012, 04:43:33 pm »

Some Migrants have just arrived. A Married Couple, and their 7 year old youngest son.

The couple are Asob Berrur "Earthrun" and Sibrek Ingishrurast "Bodiceguise"

Their son is Kadol Ingishtitthal "Bodiceplay"

They also both worship Nunok the Mindful Brain, a Deity which likes to curse people to become were-lizards
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #20062 on: February 27, 2012, 04:56:23 pm »

so...
Salvewhores is starting a tantrum spiral.
luckily it seems one family of migrants enjoys seeing others in despair since i have 23 migrants ecstatic and the rest miserable/tantrumming.
how did it become like this?
an hellfire turret who didn't know how to aim at enemies.
and..
well, i'd say teleporting Kestrels.
But since that's impossible i can only say...Tigermens on friggin Worker drones.
Insects used as mounts.
must be a glitch because i can't possibly understand how else they managed to reach a perfectly sealed off fort.
except for one and only one line of friggin death traps.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20063 on: February 27, 2012, 05:02:00 pm »

My militia commander is slowly succumbing to infection, a three eyed crab FB appeared for whom I called an active militia into the caverns and then another one appeared. A tortoise with external ribs and thin wings. These are six noob marksdwarfs and their captain is in hospital as well as the Mcom.  >:( I'll have to call in the Mcom's squad of ten marksdwarfs(-1) as well, and probably the melee militia squadron as well.

Flying tortoise kill list:
Kogan Sefoladil Tangakegeth - speardwarf (four notable kills) (Married to Hammerdwarfette with fifteen notable kills)
Asen Rodimantis- marksdwarf.
Fikod Avuzetur - marksdwarf
Solon Dodokecem - furnace operator (married to shearer who punched another FB to death earlier.)
Tun Onolavuz - marksdwarf
Zan Limulstettad - marksdwarf
Edzul Zimast - war dog
Kadol Teskomzuntir - marksdwarf

Eventually Dakost Desisstakud shot Vera Swamthief the Sin of Hoods in the upper spine nervous tissue, thus ending the slaughter. By far the worst FB yet in this fortress.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:47:46 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20064 on: February 27, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »

Some Migrants have just arrived. A Married Couple, and their 7 year old youngest son.

The couple are Asob Berrur "Earthrun" and Sibrek Ingishrurast "Bodiceguise"

Their son is Kadol Ingishtitthal "Bodiceplay"

They also both worship Nunok the Mindful Brain, a Deity which likes to curse people to become were-lizards

Further to this, their son has obviously gotten bored being the only child in a Fortress where the Adults are all too busy hauling stone out of newly dug chambers to play, and has spent most of his time picking plants.

To the point where he's now my most competent farmer.

Well, that's your career sorted laddie.

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20065 on: February 27, 2012, 05:13:19 pm »

curious things. my dwarves are definitely planning something painfull for their leader.
just by judging their created artifacts its pretty clear. First, stonecrafter built granite scepter "the brash cover" with green zircons in it (no images),
next gem cutter created green zircon crown "Shipmire the Skewered Onslaught" (again no images)
and finally carpenter created maple crutch "the confinement of jailers".
Im curiously waiting for next artifact. I suppose its a spiky sock.

Also I have a strong feeling i have vampire infestation. One dwarf was just found dead in bed, apparently sucked dry of blood.
whats the easiest way to spot the vampire and get rid of it possibly?

EDIT:
screw the vampires. two simultaneous goblin ambushes on my second winter seemed to be a massacre. Not a single goblin dead after i sent my military of around 10 (including 3 legendary miners) at them and now im watching as 13 goblins run around slaughtering my dwarves...

... I blaim the elves for not bringing me any decent war animals with them, and humans for not being there to trade with at all. But especially elves...

EDIT2:
To hell with all of it. Im gonna breach the wall to caverns below my fortress and let that one hungry three-eyed scorpion forgotten beast.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:30:00 pm by Doro »

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20066 on: February 27, 2012, 05:43:19 pm »

OK, this is odd...

Got another wave of migrants. 6 this time. A family of 4 (Mother, Father, 2 Daughters) and two others.

One of the others has no relationships... but his traits make sense for that (poor empathy, reserved, avoids crowds)

The other claims to be married to a member of my group... by I don't have a dwarf by the name he is claiming to be married to, and she's not among the migrants.

Going to play it safe and lock both of them up until I can confirm they aren't vamps.

EDIT: Found the missing wife. Looks like a bug in Dwarf Therapist, which a redownload fixed. Have all three of them banged up now for the sake of safety.

Did discover that the invisible wife, Doren Tobulgidthur ("Canyongrasp") is a Metalcrafter, Blacksmith and Weaponsmith. Oh, and a Beekeeper.

EDIT 2: All three got thirsty. Upon release, all three made a headlong dive for the booze stockpile. Yeah, they're clean.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:16:10 pm by Koremu »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20067 on: February 27, 2012, 06:34:40 pm »

Urist mcvampire has the following identifiable characteristics:

1) eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. Wife butchered? Ecstatic. Child hauled off by goblins? Ecstatic. Evereyone he ever knew gripped in the throws of a tantrum spiral? Ecstatic.

2) long list of former civ membership, with high conversational skills.

3) (will likely get fixed next update) refuses to accept a new nickname or custom profession.

4) listed under "true" name in therapist.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20068 on: February 27, 2012, 06:43:04 pm »

When i said the many ghosts of my reclaimed long lived fortress were rather aggressive, it wasn't a joke, my poor militia commander got attacked by one :

Ouch.

I wish the coffin used in burial would automatically give priority to the dead that have a ghost, when you have hundred of corpses of dwarves, goblins and more creatures, building slabs and engraving it as memorial is very tedious as you need to scroll huge listing of names to find the one you want to engrave.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20069 on: February 27, 2012, 06:53:06 pm »

Oh boy. Don't abandon during a tantrum spiral if you intend to start a new fort in the same world. It's hard to get defences set up with the constant murder, tantrums, and insanity. On the plus side, two dwarves showed up hauling pots of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 1336 1337 [1338] 1339 1340 ... 3836