Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857703 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20070 on: February 27, 2012, 07:03:01 pm »

And due to the harrassing of the ghosts, another tantrum spiral, this time it's very bloody considering several of the berserkers are actually using weapons.
It's just a horrible sight.

I was so close to have a grave for every corpse (130 coffins/burial have been done) and now that. There is no end in sight :D

edit : and oh due to none working in the farms anymore (constant ghost presences around) they're all out of food, so those not dying due to the berserkers are just dying from starvation, adding even more to the tantrum spiral around them.

Surprisingly , no goblin ambush/invasion yet (though Thieves and Snatchers are around), hopefully it's because the previous "life" of my fortress got the goblin civ very down in number (the dwarves destroyed 3 big goblin sieges).

If a necromancer just come one day here, it will be heaven for him, mountain of recent and new corpses all around the map.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:09:03 pm by Robsoie »

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20071 on: February 27, 2012, 07:28:20 pm »

Well, that's another fort dead. A necromancer siege when I had 7 dwarves and a wide open entrance. XD

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20072 on: February 27, 2012, 09:11:43 pm »

Had a crash which wiped out some work so don't remember exactly where I'm at.

Had one of my disposable builders somehow cause a cave in and he drowned, leading to my first dorf casualty.  Don't know how that moron killed himself, but he left a wife and child behind.  The wife's only 21, boy is she going to be lonely.

Anyway, this is how things looked when we embarked:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We dug in right next to the wagon, and I have a wall blocking off the north end of that valley we're in.  Also removed the ramps on the embark level, so the only way in and out of the fort is through the wall.  As you can see, there's a volcano here, and I'm thinking of channeling out the ground to the north of the wall down a single z-level.  Then I'll set up a nice little Fuck the World device a few levels higher up, and with the main only approach a z-level below the main entrance, the lava will pool below the fort and there won't be a risk of it getting inside.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20073 on: February 27, 2012, 09:18:43 pm »

New embark:

Adamantine spire. Pokes out 4 z-levels above ground. Was open all the way up, so I used tubefill to save myself from hell. FPS is holding steady at 100. YES!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

antlion12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20074 on: February 27, 2012, 09:42:36 pm »

Well seems my first fort that i have not modded to make dwarfs invincible will be slightly flooded. Goddamn  aquifers

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20075 on: February 27, 2012, 10:08:48 pm »

New embark:

Adamantine spire. Pokes out 4 z-levels above ground. Was open all the way up, so I used tubefill to save myself from hell. FPS is holding steady at 100. YES!

Do want.  How thick is the world?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20076 on: February 27, 2012, 11:15:58 pm »

New embark:

139 z levels from the top of the spire and a nearby hilltop to the bottom. I embarked on a rather good spot, as well: major river, sedimentary layer with a ton of dolomite, heavy tree and brush cover, warm climate, etc. Pretty much the only thing it doesn't have is a volcano.

One thing is, I'm playing with skill degradation turned off, and with a couple of homebrewed metals added in. Here's a few highlights from the prospect take:
5.9k adamantine
10k magnetite
5.8k hematite
3.4k limonite
25k native gold
78k tetrahedrite
5k mythril (added; between steel and adamantite in terms of usefulness)
88 deepsilver (added; very high-density, found only in small clusters)
38 starmetal (added; roughly twice as effective as adamantite, light enough that irl it would probably float, found only in small clusters)

((If anyone wants it, remind me of how to find the seed, because for the life of me I can't remember.  :-X))

3. Run Resize Enable

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20077 on: February 27, 2012, 11:23:22 pm »

A trader has migrated to my map.  I assume he was trying to migrate, anyways, as he arrived with the rest of the spring crowd.  He's labeled as friendly but doesn't move.

He is now stuck on the migrant spawn point, so I don't know if there are any more migrants or not.  I hope the herd of camels wandering around the surface will get close enough to spook him off so I can see.  Not sure how else to move him.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20078 on: February 27, 2012, 11:29:14 pm »

I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but on an invader's breastplate will be an image of their civilization.

I've found that exact same thing printed on every single breastplate we've recovered from slaughtered ambushes.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #20079 on: February 27, 2012, 11:31:33 pm »

I know it's not new, but I don't know exactly how long it's been in. I wish my goblins had cool symbols like fire snakes though, they tend to pick utterly unforgettable things in my worlds.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20080 on: February 27, 2012, 11:46:21 pm »

After my last fort crashed a few times, I decided it was a good time to re-install df (just in case something funky happened to corrupt the game). Extreme? probably. Anyways, my new embark is so freaking awesome it doesn't matter. It has small waterfall, filled with carp, that floods in the winter. That's when immediate below the waterfall, the rest of the river is in a different biome that freezes earlier. So awesome. I'm happy to say that my fort is basically unnaffected, as it's built immedialy above the flood. But yeah, seasonal flooding for the win.

Not much is going on so far. I still haven't actually made my any military, relying on my war dogs if there ever actually comes a problem. My walls though are becoming close to finished no teh firs tlayer, at which point the second layer including fortifications starts.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Baselope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20081 on: February 27, 2012, 11:59:11 pm »

I have 14 contented and surprisingly calm dwarves walking around saying "Brainzzzzz".  They don't smell so good either.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20082 on: February 28, 2012, 12:03:26 am »

Still searching for an embark site on my newest world.  I found one embark site with a 300z tall cliff between a mountain and some near sea level plains on the edge of an ocean and that was cool, but the dwarves spawned over the ocean and drowned.

New embark:

139 z levels from the top of the spire and a nearby hilltop to the bottom. I embarked on a rather good spot, as well: major river, sedimentary layer with a ton of dolomite, heavy tree and brush cover, warm climate, etc. Pretty much the only thing it doesn't have is a volcano.

One thing is, I'm playing with skill degradation turned off, and with a couple of homebrewed metals added in. Here's a few highlights from the prospect take:
5.9k adamantine
10k magnetite
5.8k hematite
3.4k limonite
25k native gold
78k tetrahedrite
38 starmetal (added; roughly twice as effective as adamantite, light enough that irl it would probably float, found only in small clusters)

((If anyone wants it, remind me of how to find the seed, because for the life of me I can't remember.  :-X))

Those custom metals sound really cool.  You should package them and the relevant reactions into a small mod for people, I know I'd add it at least :P

To get the seed:
Open your map up and hit ESC and go to "export local image" and then choose a Z-level or ten to export images of.  Included with the images will be a text file, containing world gen information.  The seeds are in there.

I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but on an invader's breastplate will be an image of their civilization.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've found that exact same thing printed on every single breastplate we've recovered from slaughtered ambushes.

Cool.

I have 14 contented and surprisingly calm dwarves walking around saying "Brainzzzzz".  They don't smell so good either.

This is unusual?  :P
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20083 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:34 am »

Notable hilarious events thus far:
1. Magma crab shoots basalt out of volcano at flying stork.
2. Having 330+ animals due to egg fun time (I love my uber PC that is not slowed by this.)
3. Ghost Miner
4. Vampire fish dissector appears and I cage her with a burrow and walls, never gets close enough to kill anyone.
5. A year later vampire is elected as mayor (
6. Vampire demands many floodgates, i consider her an awesome mayor as I do not need to feed her and she only requests these.
7. Ranger gets struck by strange mood.  He has 3 bandages, 2 sutures, both legs are broken, and he has a silver bolt impaled in his guts.  He crawled to the craft workshop several hundred tiles away instead of the one outside the bed room.....
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20084 on: February 28, 2012, 12:48:44 am »

New embark:

5.9k adamantine
10k magnetite
5.8k hematite
3.4k limonite
25k native gold
78k tetrahedrite

Those custom metals sound really cool.  You should package them and the relevant reactions into a small mod for people, I know I'd add it at least :P

To get the seed:
Open your map up and hit ESC and go to "export local image" and then choose a Z-level or ten to export images of.  Included with the images will be a text file, containing world gen information.  The seeds are in there.

Ah, thanks.

Spoiler: Seed and params (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Embark location (click to show/hide)

I honestly don't think the metals are large/big enough to deserve a post; you only need 2 entries per metal (in inorganic_metal and inorganic_stone_mineral) and it was maybe ~1 hour of work, and most of that was testing and looking up information to find out what I did wrong with the colors.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 3836