Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787159 times)

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20370 on: March 07, 2012, 09:36:40 pm »

HAHA! Caught my first goblin in a cage. :D
Though I don't think my traps will hold up.

EDIT Ah. Screw it. I'm sick and tired of this mountain fortress.
GOODBYE, WORLD!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:09:24 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #20371 on: March 07, 2012, 11:14:41 pm »

Now I know what I'm using for my doomsday lever...
What's your doomday lever hooked up to? :3

It's called the "Shock of Cremation." What do you THINK it will be hooked up to?

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20372 on: March 07, 2012, 11:29:49 pm »

Just started a new fortress. Was promptly attacked by a giant wolverine. I decided that wasn't going to fly and told all 7 of my starting dwarves to attack it simultaneously. Went about as well as can be expected.
The first dwarf died before the rest arrived. Three more died quickly. One (the doctor) was horribly maimed. The remaining two (miner and brewer) beat it into unconsciousness though. They were Skilled in a couple combat skills when I told them to take a break and get a drink.
By the time they had finished their snack the giant wolverine (now named) had crawled away. Most of the giant wolverine's body was red by this point, with a few yellow and the only unharmed part of its body being its tail. My two active dwarves were both missing their right hands but otherwise fine.
All three of them were tantruming frequently, the badly injured one more than the others. I tried to get a few things done with them between tantrums, such as butchering the Yak and Water Buffalo I rode in on. The badly injured one (doctor) quickly went insane... berserk. I issued the kill order. The berserker didn't even get a hit in - the brewer hit him a few times, then bit him in the lower body and shook him around a bit before the miner punched him in the head, tearing the brain and killing him.
My remaining two dwarves went back to work, cleaning up and generally getting what they could done while waiting for migrants. They tantrumed a few more times, once maiming a dog. Then the brewer went insane... berserk. The last remaining dwarf, the miner, finished him off with two quick strikes to head, the first breaking the skull and the second tearing the brain. The miner gained the 'hardened individual' tag and suddenly become quite content, then went to take a nap. A ghost of one of the first killed dwarves rose and promptly mauled him as he was getting in bed, damaging his liver.

That was pretty much the end of it, at least for now. After the first incident, the ghost remained docile. The dwarf healed without issue, the first thing he did when he woke up was get a drink, and migrants soon arrived. A cursory examination showed no obvious vampires, and the ghost (and all the other dwarves) were quickly sealed in coffins. Things have been fairly calm since then, but should get interesting soon, as I've multiplied the vampires/werewolfs/various other nasties by a factor of 30. But then, I've somehow managed to have almost entirely untroubled forts in even the most dangerous places, so we'll see.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20373 on: March 08, 2012, 12:14:31 am »

My mason/miner was injured... again...

seriously, i have a mechanic/miner a mason/miner/ and a bonecarver/miner.

so 2 useless one useful, its ALWAYS the useful one that gets hurt.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20374 on: March 08, 2012, 12:32:53 am »

So Bridgehammer is in full swing - 170 dwarves, magma, coal, all metals, just mining towards some shiny stuff in the lower caverns and all is sweetness. Except in four years, only 12 goblins have bothered attacked me...

Giant undulating Insect (FB) arrives, flies over my retaining wall and is killed by militia.

Next thing, 33 dwarves drop dead due to it's deadly dust and the fortress is on it's way downhill fast.  I wanted a bloodthirsty siege, not death by deadly dust.

I don't mind the fragility of a good fortress, or death in battle.  The invisible pandemic that makes no sense, I do have issues with, and so as soon as anyone works out how to mod out vampires, I'm there...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20375 on: March 08, 2012, 04:07:58 am »

Masterwork v1.5 for DF 34.04...

...Considering I don't have a working military yet... I hope it comes bearing toys.

-----
Edit: ...It did, kind of. It killed an elven caravan just at it reached my depot, then ran around my raised entry room for about a season and a half while I hunkered down below in one of my massive storage rooms. Then I decided to destroy the stairs, the only way into my main area, which evidently broke it out of its loop. So, after a futile suicide charge, I have one survivor... because she decided to hide in her room after a tantrum.

Another season later...

More migrants. More fodder to whip at it and see if they've got what it takes. (Hint: They didn't.)

...Then she went berserk and, I think... ripped HERSELF apart?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:55:22 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20376 on: March 08, 2012, 04:22:18 am »

I've installed my duke's cage in his office.  No more bloodsucking for him!  Hopefully he can conduct meetings from the cage-- it is a gold masterwork, so he shouldn't feel too embarased.  Took quite a bit of work to get him in it, which I hope he appreciates.

I've also placed two cages into the ocean, curious about what will happen during the next freeze.  Maybe my duke would enjoy the ocean more than his throne room?

Crossing my fingers, but it looks like I've finally managed to build a contamination trench.  Damned hard to do, when you want to.  Yes, a contamination trench, not a decontamination trench.  Maybe this will let me perform my sleeping livestock research in earnest now, instead of having to wait for the unholy ash to spawn where I've put my test subjects.

Trying to extend my ocean wall during the winter, will probably lose a few dwarves to the thaw.  Haven't captured any sea life yet, and that's disappointing, but maybe if I can expand my cage cross, sealife will travel through my cage traps with more frequency.

Oh, and the artifact floodgate that I put outside my entrance caught fire, thanks to a visiting marsh titan.  So now I've got non-stop smoke billowing at the entrance.  Only lost one dwarf to the fire, a mason who was ordered to deconstruct it.  Doesn't look like anybody's eager to stockpile the thing, so maybe I'll get away without any more casualties.  Building a water source above it, which is a shame, because there's just got to be something interesting I can do with a permafire, but I certainly don't want it right there, with everybody waltzing through the smoke.

Hmm.  I think that about covers it.  Oh, everybody's tantruming, I guess.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20377 on: March 08, 2012, 04:25:08 am »

I just made a fortress named Hammertime :D PTW!
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20378 on: March 08, 2012, 05:34:31 am »

I don't know if Bustcomet got a good or rotten start...
On the rotten side:
- Turns out "shallow metals" translates to "gold and f██king galena".
- The hunter/crossbowdwarf/militia commander got the everliving carp bitten outta him by a rattlesnake and will probably perish of a necrotic head sometime soon.

On the good side:
+ Yay for obsidian! \o/ Don't know yet whether it's a whole layer or if there's a reservoir of liquid ‼Fun‼ nearby...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20379 on: March 08, 2012, 07:31:34 am »

On the rotten side:

Galena gives you silver so you can at least arm your militia with silver warhammers... armour may be a challenge though...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20380 on: March 08, 2012, 08:41:57 am »

Brief update - apparently wooden bolts don't do much damage to Bronze Colossi.

Also, masterwork steel mail shirts are surprisingly not very effective as weapons, although that hasn't stopped it trying to beat my whole fort to death with one.

Also also, I think I may need to start a new fort.

(edit) Apparently the Bronze Colossus got bored after a while, since it's now outside my fort (which, since it's sealed off at ground level, means it must've jumped the wall), although the combat reports continue due to the survivors trying to kill each other. Only the fort vampire remains unconcerned, sealed away from the rest of the fort and admiring the 10 menacing wooden spikes he's standing on.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:04:54 am by Calech »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20381 on: March 08, 2012, 09:25:28 am »

On the rotten side:

Galena gives you silver so you can at least arm your militia with silver warhammers... armour may be a challenge though...
Armor is for goblins. A real dwarf needs only his trusty weapon, a tankard of beer, and his glorious beard. Loincloth optional.

Seriously, though. If leather/bone is in short supply, just give them a couple shields and blunt weapons. With sufficient skill, the dwarf should get the first strike in. And since blunt attacks go straight for the bones (which are 10X as sensitive to pain as flesh), that's generally better at incapacitating an enemy than a typical edge attack. Double shields+dodging+skull smashing is generally all you really need. Dwarves are replaceable, but materials not so much. Do the efficient thing and make them glass canons.

If you want armor that badly, though, then don't forget to buy the wooden stuff from the elves. It's better than leather, at least.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20382 on: March 08, 2012, 09:29:50 am »

Or just use the goblinite your steel warhammer+wood shield dwarves will provide for you!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20383 on: March 08, 2012, 09:37:41 am »

First artifact in this fortress is a rope reed toga. Kinda bas-ass, actually. Nicer than a loincloth.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20384 on: March 08, 2012, 11:56:42 am »

It's already bad when it's raining filth.
But when

It must be so worse that i don't even want to imagine what it is.
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 3835