Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861528 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20400 on: March 08, 2012, 07:59:59 pm »

Seems like my problem solved itself.
While hauling rocks around the newly discovered cavern , so i could make some wall to prevent something nasty coming from there, a cave crocodile just rushed in and killed that suspicious "superdwarf", then killed his child and finally his wife , before my quickly drafted dwarves managed to kill the monster after lot of wounds for them.

Very strange that this cave crocodile decided to go kill only that family, there were other dwarves around, but just those 3 were the monster's targets (as after those kills it was trying to run away from my military before getting caught)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20401 on: March 08, 2012, 08:06:04 pm »

A shame that they died, too. I bet he was a hunter in worldgen. It would explain all the localized animal kills, and no human kills.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20402 on: March 08, 2012, 08:17:55 pm »

An early and very small migrant wave in my new fort, a Weaponsmith , his wife a Wax Worker and his child (he has other childs but are adults and didn't arrived in the fort).

I looked at the guy thought

He is a former citizen of 3 places, but that's possible, nothing suspicious yet.
Then i noticed he had some kills, 43 kills !

Looking at his skills, he's skilled with hammer and adequate with dodging/shield and armor, he's a great weaponsmith and has some good levels in various social skills.

Should i suspect a vampire despite he came with a wife and a child, or is that just some very good pick in that migrant waves ?

Possible vamp, but keep him anyway.

Once you've identified him as a vamp, give him the masonry detail, build a wall around him, make him a drop chute above him and in his room so he can have fuels and resources dropped in from above, allowing him to make weapons, then send them through a drop chute below him.

Bang, eternal worker. Never needs sleep, never gets tired, gets thirsty but doesn't care.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20403 on: March 08, 2012, 10:16:16 pm »

My broker, Urist Basenathel (Urist Sprayring, and no, I didn't custom-name this dwarf. I never do.)...
... well, she went on a tantrum and killed her husband.

I didn't think tantrums kill people. :( -Rainbow- The more you know.
Shame. She was the only good candidate for broker.

EDIT: I find it funny that she's upset that her husband died. I foresee a spiral coming on.
Time to end it.

EDIT 2: And now she's stricken by melancholy.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:29:36 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20404 on: March 08, 2012, 10:35:33 pm »

On Dwarf Fortress you could probably break the world in half if you punched it and the RNG likes you. Killing someone in a tantrum is like one of us punching through a slice of wet bread.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20405 on: March 08, 2012, 11:17:44 pm »

Currently trying to create a jail, but the darn thing isn't let me set it as a justice cage. :(

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20406 on: March 09, 2012, 12:24:37 am »

> Notice that my expedition leader/legendary carpenter/legendary woodcutter/legendary mechanic is missing.
> Find her body in the river.
> Check combat logs.
> "The Raven attacks the Woodworker but she jumps away!"

That's it. Fuck everything else, this fortress is churning out nothing but hotblooded revenge against the fucking birds. What is this, a Hitchcock film?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20407 on: March 09, 2012, 12:58:11 am »

On my current fort, i had embarked on zone that had a tower nearby.
I thought , nice will have to fight a necromancer at some point.

And before the end of the 1st year, "The dead walk    hide while you can!"
Before seeing my first goblin or kobold thief/snatcher, or even the human caravan ... an undead siege army.

Ok, that's strange, so let's see what we have, wow, they're  a lot, quick a look in the U -> Other menu.
Ouch, 70 undeads ... 4 necromancers.

I finished my walls just in time but not my trapped access corridor, if the undead (dwarf, goblins, elf and humans undead) can destroy the doors, my rather low skill military will have no chance... 4 necromancers.

I wonder if my fort will resist, or if the human merchant will come to .. reinforce the undead troops.
And it wasn't even an haunted/terrifying location for once, just that tower nearby :D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20408 on: March 09, 2012, 01:16:46 am »

... the fort won ... all the undead are surprisingly destroyed.
But 40 of my dwarves died ! 3 squads fully wasted by the undead troops and several civilians.

Can't find the necromancer in the killed list as everything, even corpses that gained a name due to the killing are listed, i just hope those necromancers got killed.

During the battle my 5 rangers (drafted as the Marksdwarf squad) did wonders from the roof of my fort entrance, but they ran out of bolts a bit too quickly and ran to fight with the axe/speardwarves, and died with them.

Oh and here is what is left of my fort population :

3 adults alive (and in a bad shape), and more than 30 brats, brats everywhere, throwing tantrum constantly since all the killing and undead witnessed :

corpses everywhere on my fort entrance, and some inside.

One of kids even threw a dwarf corpse through the whole entrance corridor.
I can't see that fort surviving much now :D

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20409 on: March 09, 2012, 01:32:30 am »

How did my bridge get destroyed?!

EDIT:
This game has convenient timing. D: And my convenient, I mean inconvenient.
Was starving. NEEDED a caravan. ANYTHING I could get my hands on.

Then.. THEN... an ambush.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20410 on: March 09, 2012, 01:39:01 am »

Military men will still do their day to day activities, right?
Because I'm starting to think about just drafting anyone to the military

EDIT
... DwarfFortress.exe has stopped working and needs to close.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:47:18 am by RabblerouserGT »

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20411 on: March 09, 2012, 02:50:12 am »

report that bug, Dude.

Nothing is going on in my fort. I refuse to play 2012 before awesome exotic animals patch comes out.

war pandas!!!

worth importing that bamboo shit from China.

h.scorpio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20412 on: March 09, 2012, 05:58:16 am »

An early and very small migrant wave in my new fort, a Weaponsmith , his wife a Wax Worker and his child (he has other childs but are adults and didn't arrived in the fort).

I looked at the guy thought

He is a former citizen of 3 places, but that's possible, nothing suspicious yet.
Then i noticed he had some kills, 43 kills !

Looking at his skills, he's skilled with hammer and adequate with dodging/shield and armor, he's a great weaponsmith and has some good levels in various social skills.

Should i suspect a vampire despite he came with a wife and a child, or is that just some very good pick in that migrant waves ?

Pretty sure he wasn't a vampire.
Notice how it states he is 92 years old and one of the first of his kind? 40ish kills for someone of his age is rather normal, if he's a Hammerdwarf or a a Ranger.
Also he didn't switch his civ all that often for his age, vampires will often pretend a very young age and have a ton of former civs listed.

edit: just noticed he is 92 years old and it's only year 59? That however is rather suspicious.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:58:59 am by h.scorpio »

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20413 on: March 09, 2012, 06:02:23 am »

Haven't been on the forums in a while, so I'm unsure about what counts as spoiler now, so just to be safe:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20414 on: March 09, 2012, 06:29:58 am »

I don't know if Bustcomet got a good or rotten start...
On the rotten side:
- Turns out "shallow metals" translates to "gold and f██king galena".
- The hunter/crossbowdwarf/militia commander got the everliving carp bitten outta him by a rattlesnake and will probably perish of a necrotic head sometime soon.

On the good side:
+ Yay for obsidian! \o/ Don't know yet whether it's a whole layer or if there's a reservoir of liquid ‼Fun‼ nearby...

...aaand then the friendly neighbourghood ensemble "Necro & His Undead" makes a visit before I had any kind of defence set up.
One Very Unhappy Craftsdorf went down last, chopping apart walking corpses to the left and right like some kind of Dwarven Ashley J. Williams, until a bunch of his former friends zerg rushed him. :(

Your strength has been broken.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:32:31 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 ... 3836