Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1420 1421 [1422] 1423 1424 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859269 times)

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21315 on: March 28, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »

@acehawk
Nice going with the dragon. I really want to secure a breeding pair of dragons for my new fort. Just to create a ring of watch dragons around the castle.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21316 on: March 28, 2012, 12:31:55 pm »

Another fresh embark. Now this map is Joyous wilds bordering terrifying and untamed wilds forests. Unicorns definitely in the area. The new fort is being excavated in the stone layer above cavern 1. With wagon accessible spiral ramps to let traders get right up to the forts front door.

Sunshine is an amazing drink. My planter is mass farming it already. Most of my food industry is currently sunshine and strawberries. Traps have been strategically laid around sections of the map to catch wildlife to tame. No unicorns but I have caught some giant thrips and a turkey. Which I will try taming and see what happens whilst waiting to catch some unicorns. I want some unicorn steak for my dorfs to wash down with their sunshine!
You can't tame unicorns without modifying the raws.

If you read my reply to the first time you unhelpfully said that you'd know I already addressed this.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21317 on: March 28, 2012, 12:55:37 pm »

I caught my very own GCS and -trained- it. I used a gorlak for a small web generator.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21318 on: March 28, 2012, 02:20:02 pm »

What would Freud say about an artifact named Enjoypillar?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21319 on: March 28, 2012, 02:55:10 pm »

I just had a four-year-old dwarven child create an artifact in my fort:

Lavathuzar, "the Rounded Grotto," a forgotten beast bone ring

This is a forgotten beast bone ring. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with gold, decorated with forgotten beast bone and fungiwood and encircled with bands of rope reed fiber and oval andesite cabochons. This object menaces with spikes of yellow zircon and lead. On the item is an image of a forgotten beast in stoneware.

Yup, this kid's gonna be a dedicated bonecarver when he grows up, I already nicknamed him. (And yes, it was a mood that made him legendary.) Only another decade or so....

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21320 on: March 28, 2012, 02:59:34 pm »

What would Freud say about an artifact named Enjoypillar?
Probably "Oh? Zis iz vewry eenteresting.  Here, step into my offiz. So you say you see leetle... 'dwarves' ... inzide a glass box, yes? And they zpend all day long with their hands, polishing a ... pillar you say?  Which is on public dizplay, and... brings joy to .. ALL the people in zis box, all at once? Oh yes, you and I will be very good friends."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:01:59 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21321 on: March 28, 2012, 03:01:36 pm »

Managed to get my web spitting titan into the silk farm, but realised it wouldn't work as it can break stone doors/too heavy for pressure plates so I'm not sure how to safety and automatically keep a path to it's target technically 'open' so it can make me some silk :/ Oh well, it's a pretty thing to look at for now.

The other FB in my basement hasn't came close to my water with its secreted toxins so my well is safe. Will deal with it later.

Under a very large siege at the moment. 6 Trolls, 20 gobbos on crocs, swallows and rutherers. My military is very skilled but not well armoured so I'm worried the bowmen will make mince meat out of me.

Also a vampire feeding on my farmhands, looked through all 125 dwarves to ascertain who, but aside my (already known about, sealed in office) book keeper, no one is raising any red flags.

I love this game!!!
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21322 on: March 28, 2012, 03:38:32 pm »

@acehawk
Nice going with the dragon. I really want to secure a breeding pair of dragons for my new fort. Just to create a ring of watch dragons around the castle.

Nothing quite like starting a forest fire to kill 7 gobbos...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21323 on: March 28, 2012, 04:21:38 pm »

@acehawk

Nothing quite like starting a forest fire to kill 7 gobbos...

crispy dragon tamer.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21324 on: March 28, 2012, 05:43:49 pm »

A human caravan arrived at my trade depot, just in time for "A vile force of darkness has arrived!"

Let's say that the more than 70 trolls+skilled goblins annihilated the whole human merchants and guards at the depot.

Then to my surprise i noticed that the whole Goblin siege army had only 1 ranged soldier, every other invaders were using melee weaponry. Funnily that crossbow goblin was one of the 1st to fall into a cage trap on the way to my fortress entrance.

Poor goblins, after several years of repelling monsters, goblin and undead sieges, my marksdwarf squad is made of very skilled troopers, so i just moved on the rooftop of my entrance building and ... it was a carnage, few goblins managed to run away.

It was an excellent time as it provided a very lot of usefull items with the destroyed caravan and goblins equipment left on the ground near the fort.
Took a lot of time to bring back all those corpses and items into my underground stockpiles.

After several years, the corpse count is roughly at 500, i just hope no necromancer will manage to sneak into my very crowded and large refuse stockpiles.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21325 on: March 28, 2012, 06:01:13 pm »

The Human Jestri Rajiocda Amsancika has come! A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.

Really? A human? With ambition? I HAVE A FORTRESS. An actual fortress. It has ramparts and battlements (whatever the difference is) and several drowning traps, a proto-labryinth, breeding pits and halls full of ale and wenches.

And a human has come. This should be interesting.

Edit: he left. Walked around for a few steps then left. Must have gone for a job interview.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:03:22 pm by Dorfus »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21326 on: March 28, 2012, 06:04:05 pm »

The Human Jestri Rajiocda Amsancika has come! A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.

Really? A human? With ambition? I HAVE A FORTRESS. An actual fortress. It has ramparts and battlements (whatever the difference is) and several drowning traps, a proto-labryinth, breeding pits and halls full of ale and wenches.

Edit: he left. Walked around for a few steps then left. Must have gone for a job interview.
Werebeast, most likely.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21327 on: March 28, 2012, 06:10:06 pm »

Werebeast, most likely.
Wasbeast. He walked off. A few seconds later the dwarven caravan arrived. He must've seen them from the hill and pantsed himself. I had a werebeast knock all the teeth out of my favourite water buffalo bull before running away. Not sure I understand them yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21328 on: March 28, 2012, 06:29:59 pm »

Werebeast, most likely.
Wasbeast. He walked off. A few seconds later the dwarven caravan arrived. He must've seen them from the hill and pantsed himself. I had a werebeast knock all the teeth out of my favourite water buffalo bull before running away. Not sure I understand them yet.
The problem with them in Fortress mode at the moment is that they're only transformed during the full moon, which is a very short period of time in fortress mode. So they'll run onto the map, do a hit&run on something already outside and run away, if they don't just show up as a naked peasant.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21329 on: March 28, 2012, 06:32:08 pm »

I had the human queen assault my fortress once. She was naked and died very quickly.

Took out a cougar in her were form iirc though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 1420 1421 [1422] 1423 1424 ... 3836