Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1426 1427 [1428] 1429 1430 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860972 times)

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21405 on: March 30, 2012, 11:09:39 am »

My first of my war unicorns just stabbed a master goblin thief to death. It was effortlessly able to catch up to him as well. Just got to get some females tamed now and work on breeding a tame herd of these badass things. A wave of them coming up out of the cavern levels where they graze to catch a siege by surprise will be awesome. Also got giant magpies and should be able to start letting them out to start laying eggs soon.

This makes me want to abandon my serene/haunted embark and strike out for the joyous wilds.

Sadly the fort died to a forgotten beast. But its got some perforations to carry about with it for the rest of is days due to the unicorn. if you mod them to be tamable/trainable you will get a chance that elves will trade them to you so you know.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21406 on: March 30, 2012, 11:12:38 am »

My carpenter decided that it was very smart to throw himself down the waterfall, so i left my fort
DWARVES, Y U SO STUPID?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21407 on: March 30, 2012, 11:53:47 am »

Finally got my military to equip properly. Seems they now pick up the stuff I tell them to first and then fill up the rest with "over clothing", but that they happily go around pantless if you tell them to wear pants but replace cothing.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21408 on: March 30, 2012, 12:11:57 pm »

A dwarf arrived with over 500 kills (all non-civ) and bone jewelry made from said creatures. Quarantining to see if it's a vampire.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21409 on: March 30, 2012, 12:18:06 pm »

Bet it's a hunter ?

Anyways, it feels really good to catch a kobold thief. My axelord just cut off both of his little thieving hands, now he's being butchered.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21410 on: March 30, 2012, 12:25:09 pm »

Suspect is not a vampire, just went thirsty. Still, 500 kills and that many thropies is admirable for a clerk.

I was going to post some images, but Img.ie isn't opening for some reason.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21411 on: March 30, 2012, 04:56:32 pm »

Caught a wild Giant Jumping Spider in the random cage traps I have scattered around.  Managed to turn it Semi-Wild and now it's following the trainer like a lost puppy.  I hope this is a part of the domestication process, or things are going to end...badly.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21412 on: March 30, 2012, 05:24:45 pm »

Still too many gobbos on the surface to really do much, carved out a few extra layers of storage and opened up the first layer. I've dug down to the molten rock sea, but no good magma forge sites just yet. Supplies and spirits are still high, might crack open my titan prison and let him deal with gobbos as I don't fancy taking on cavern layers 2-3 just yet.
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21413 on: March 30, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

Migrant time.

Two bone carvers with exactly the same skill list (though not the same level of military skills) appeared on my map at an interval of not even a half second, thing that I have never seen.

EDIT: hahahaha i thought there would be a third adequate bone carver but that was a clothier.

Still a very average migrant list. A furnace operator, two bone carvers, a clothier, an useless farmer (thresher, cheese maker and presser), a mechanic and that is all.

Adequate bone carver, adequate furnace operator and novice mechanic I can use. The rest though... *pukes*
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:48:35 pm by Naryar »

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21414 on: March 30, 2012, 06:59:04 pm »

Well, my (already) legendary clothier just got a mood. Made an artifact head veil named "Ostësh Unib", which means "The Mess of Rags"  :P
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21415 on: March 30, 2012, 07:52:49 pm »

A dwarf arrived with over 500 kills (all non-civ) and bone jewelry made from said creatures. Quarantining to see if it's a vampire.
Okay has ANY confirmed vampire ever presented with a huge list of kills? Everyone's response upon seeing a hunter seems to be to check for fangs but I can't recall a single time it's ever been valid. A vampire isn't going to say that it's sucked the blood of 5,000 people as part of it's disguise, can you see ANY of their kills through the false persona?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21416 on: March 30, 2012, 08:16:55 pm »

I accidentally embarked without assigning any skills so I decided drafted everyone and had them fight giant animals until the fortress crumbled and make a new one. The problem was they were badasses. they wrack up twenty unarmed giant animal kills reducing their numbers to 3. One is too injured to move, one is stark raving mad, and one is mortally wounded from the ravers last tantrum. I abandon and start a new fort. First migrant wave, the stark raving mad dwarf shows up on my doorstep covered in blood.

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21417 on: March 30, 2012, 08:28:03 pm »

So I've gotten my first FB, and an injured dorf is spamming that she cannot find her baby. Who is dead. Which is sort of sad, but I would appreciate if she would die already, I didn't notice the migrant wave due to her.
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21418 on: March 30, 2012, 08:30:20 pm »

The human caravan has arrived.

I really like the human caravan. Especially since the dwarven one never comes. My enclave of the dwarven race is quite possibly the last surviving one in this world, genned until 1050.

The horrible elven race has supplied me with a mating pair of giant lions. Ashame they cannot be trained into war animals.

Construction of the crowning achievement of a dying race is underway.  22 dwarves, including children and babies, toil ceaslessly to create the new mountain home of tradedstabs. Dwarven children represent the sole hope of dwarf kind.

The humans bring much needed raw materials, as the fortress simply lacks the dwarfpower to fully man every industrial branch of society at this time.

The humans bring light sabers whip, metal bars, and cut gems.

Shameful, that dwarfs should subsist so, but the time of the great rebirth is at hand. The great ark, the pinnacle of dwarven science, and its great monument proceeds even now.  Despite the labor shortages, 2 legendary miner dwarves have shaved 6 layers off the top of the local volcano, creating the site upon which all our futures rest.

The temporary lodging in the vally is cramped, and overflowing with goods, and resembles more a work shanty than a mighty dwarven fortress.

Soon, the final stages of the volcano's transformation will be completed.

Soon, construction of the real fortress will begin!

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21419 on: March 30, 2012, 08:38:25 pm »

I embarked to a new location a couple days ago. Flattish area with a 10 z-level canyon cut through it by two rivers. Lost two cats in the waterfall almost immediately, so I placed a restricted traffic zone over the waterfall and concentrated on survival (this is a "no seeds, no food, no booze" embark.)

I'm struggling to gather plants, brew booze, slaughter the horses, and prep as much as I can before the traders arrive. Dug out a shaft area, put the depot one z-level down, built bridges across the rivers and ramps on the other side, so that the caravan won't try to cross the waterfall. Turns out they show up on the one area where I don't have a ramp yet, so the wagons leave. The rest of the merchants try to cross the waterfall and die... and then most of my dwarves die trying to retrieve the merchandise. As soon as I forbid one large batch of stuff, another dwarf dies and I don't quite move fast enough to forbid all the dropped possessions before another dwarf enters the waterfall.

So, I'm down to 6 dwarves from the peak of 17 or 18. Five are doing reasonably well, but one lost his wife and child, so he's throwing tantrums most of the time. I've got a third depot entrance now, so maybe the elves will be smart and not try to cross any waterfalls.
Pages: 1 ... 1426 1427 [1428] 1429 1430 ... 3836