Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1427 1428 [1429] 1430 1431 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861320 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21420 on: March 30, 2012, 09:01:15 pm »

got a nice plataeu just above a useable section of volcano; The fortress has a controlling view of the entire area save whatever's above, but with only a few downward ramps anyone who wants the place will be hardpressed to take it without much of thier own's blood being spilled.

Now if I could get a grasp on training animals, I'll be able to add a small army of fighting animals to my forces...

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21421 on: March 30, 2012, 09:10:36 pm »

The Great Rabbit-Hut
Founded by The Bronze Grains

01) The Embark - What happened??
02) A Fresh Start Means Crossing your Fingers

So my embark is pleasing to me. No undead so far, and I actually have hills for something different.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My first undead shows up, a Wombat.

Now I'm nervous.
Or not ... Hmm I think I found another bonus to mountains.
The animals seem to walk really slowly here, and they don't fly.
Mountains seem much easier than flatland.

Here's the wombat's path as he circles and scales the Feverish Tooth

Eventually he starts heading in our direction, albeit a little slow and a little not close.

Of course I've sealed all exits in advance.

Since my dwarves sit around inside, they also see the bright side of this location.

And here's our status by z level
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:15:26 pm by ZzarkLinux »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21422 on: March 30, 2012, 10:17:43 pm »

My militia captain's on fire and has been for 2 years. Temperature's off so he hasn't died.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21423 on: March 30, 2012, 10:23:22 pm »

GCS are raping people in the face, then said people die. I love this game.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21424 on: March 31, 2012, 12:02:51 am »

The Great Rabbit-Hut
Founded by The Bronze Grains

01) The Embark - What happened??
02) A Fresh Start Means Crossing your Fingers
03) It almost feels like cheating, and like Yak Management

Chapter 3 - Opening
Things look good right now, though my dwarves are a little bored, so I assign them to grab plants when they're free.

A lot of stuff is happening now. But first ...
<RANT START>
Whenever you build a fort with some non-evil area, it just feels like cheating.
I mean, after being hardened by overwhelming flocks of undead ravens, moths, wolverines, husks, sponges,
and not being able to start a fort let alone dig underground.

Then I get this:
That's right.

No undead moths. No speedy undead vipers. Just Thrips. Big dumb thrips that pose no threat to anything.
Hell, I'm sure they'd just run away if they saw one of my dwarves.

It feels like cheating. Even though only-one-square is Untamed Wilds, now I have slow, stationary thrip
people just squatting on my map. I was required to have one non-mountain square to embark.
This cheating is no fun.
<RANT STOP>

Did I mention I just entered the second month ? Wow, time flies when you're not fleeing for your life.

Chapter 3 - Undead Sighting

Once the thrips finally start leaving (I see the number going down) then I start to worry again.
I hestitate to send dwarves out to complete the bunker, knowing that some undead abombination may spawn shortly.

Sure enough, the old wombat corpse gave way to a Giant wombat corpse

And my dwarves think this is a great time to pass out and sleep, even on the exposed roof.

The Giant Wombat Corpse moves closer to my fort.

Thankfully my dwarves wake up and get inside, and also I remove any pathing entrances or exits to my fort.
However, still, the dwarves get interrupted by the abominable husk that walks on the ceiling above them.

They must see it through the last hole, even though it can't reach us.

So first it was like

Then it was like

And then it just lumbers away.

Chapter 3 - About those Timebombs Yak Bulls

So inside my fort, all this Limonite is getting in my way.
Since we are the last Dwarven Civ left, and we are the only Dwarves with Iron, I only want to touch
the Limonite with a legendary miner. And we are a long way from that.

While surveying this, I temporarily get a brain fart and can't find my food or booze.
So I start pushing for a farm, and tap into a local stagnant murky pool.

This food-for-thought leads me back to my Yaks.
I have two Yaks Bulls, and I've been pasturing them away from my buns/ducks/lambs.
But these Yaks, like all other Yaks, have no trouble destroying whole pastures.

Something must be done before they consume all my grass.
Or worse
They could die while being full Yaks. Full-Hooved-Undead-Livestock are true terrors.
Much better to butcher for meat,skin,bone,wool then to let the thing die fully intact.
(If you need proof, follow my links to the end of RabbitHut the Holy House...)

So I setup a butcher/isolation area. I pasture the Two Yaks in there for now, waiting for the next step.

I wait most dwarves labor to clear. I want butchers and food haulers.

When I say "GO" then you all cut the Yak's neck, rush in, grab the tasty meat, and get out.
God Speed. Maybe I can salvage some of the delicitious food before the undead skin/wool rises.
(Wool and Skin are still nowhere near as bad as a full Yak-Horse).

The order is given

Once the Yaks are down, my dwarves seem happy to grab the Brains, Lungs, Meats, Livers, etc ...

In the end, sure enough, one Yak Skin rises.
But the dwarves did a great job in stockpiling the tasty-food from the room.

We got everything but one Yak Brain, which will rot eventually.
Great job Dwarves !!! One Farm/Brewery coming up !

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21425 on: March 31, 2012, 12:13:49 am »

Armed forces have axpanded greatly with the spring crop of migrants. The squads swelled to 6 dwarves each, one squad armed with various swords, one with pikes, and another a mix of hammers and macemen, with the leader armed with a fearsome masterwork silver morningstar. Gonna use the coming fall's imported platinum to make them some nice beating sticks of mass destruction. maybe decoprate them bitches with badger bone or something.

A kobold also managed to kill a couple roosters, and I'm awaiting the assault by dark stranglers. I guess I should make some more armor from the mountain of copper bars I got. Better than nothing.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21426 on: March 31, 2012, 01:35:03 am »

My militia seems to be quite taken by the Dwarvenly sport of elephant boxing.
I would rather they killed the damned pachyderms that keep interrupting my woodcutters instead of using their heads as punching bags, but hey, beats sparring in barracks I guess...
::)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21427 on: March 31, 2012, 01:39:04 am »

I would rather they killed the damned pachyderms that keep interrupting my woodcutters instead of using their heads as punching bags, but hey, beats sparring in barracks I guess...

The fact the elephants aren't killing them makes me wonder: Do they show remorse for Boatmurdered?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21428 on: March 31, 2012, 02:08:53 am »

The fact the elephants aren't killing them makes me wonder: Do they show remorse for Boatmurdered?

You might say your dwarves are indulging in the sport of Pachyderm Pugilism.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21429 on: March 31, 2012, 02:12:43 am »

The prize is the skull of the biggest elephant punched to death! Ivory and all!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21430 on: March 31, 2012, 02:17:25 am »

Just finished designating the rest of Wonderfortress' production/dining floor. Besides a couple very minuscule(yet very annoying) flaws in the already mined-out half, I'd say things are looking rather nice.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #21431 on: March 31, 2012, 02:30:04 am »

@king...you have cave in disabled?
Because I can't recall how much space there needs to be for a cave in to happen, but I'm pretty much sure you're risking it.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21432 on: March 31, 2012, 02:35:49 am »

Cave ins only happen if there's absolutely 0 support whatsoever for something.

You can have your entire constructed fort supported by a single sand wall. In the corner of the map. Connected by a long path of floors.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #21433 on: March 31, 2012, 03:07:27 am »

oh. I though it was when building something more than 14*14 tiles dug in.
I'll have to review my entire fort building strategy then.
*goes to tinker*
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21434 on: March 31, 2012, 03:40:23 am »

Had my first real tantrum spiral, at last. Our stream is frozen for about eight months out of the year, and we were unable to adjust for a migrant wave that doubled our population late in the year. Even as farmers cranked out plump helmet harvests and sent them to the still, dwarves began dropping from dehydration. Their mourning families started punching other dwarves in the face to forget their grief. Miasma hung heavy in the halls as the fistfights continued to take precedence over properly burying the dead. Some couldn't take it anymore and snapped - shuffling morosely through the fortress, gibbering in the dining room with nothing on but an +alpaca wool sock+, or howling for the blood of anything that moved.

I'd resigned Torchlion to failure. But the population managed to pull out of its dive - from 65 to 10 dwarves. Two went insane: one melancholy, one beserk. A ghostly baby broke the spine of my newly-assigned trader as he hauled goods to sell. He suffocated quickly. A goblin stole a dwarfling right from the mayor's arms. And thus six dwarves were left at the end of the carnage, one walking only with the aid of a crutch. No longer defined by trade, they simply did the jobs that the fortress required to live. For nearly a year they toiled, carving tombs and cleaning the last signs of the slaughter from the limestone floors. They traded what little they could haul to the depot between vital chores.

After nearly a year... migrants again dared to make the trek, adding much-needed hands to the workforce.

And brought two vampires with them.

I love this game :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:43:57 am by strongrudder »
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.
Pages: 1 ... 1427 1428 [1429] 1430 1431 ... 3836