Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1495 1496 [1497] 1498 1499 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855538 times)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22440 on: May 03, 2012, 08:15:18 am »

The puppies hanging out in my meeting area are spontaneously dying of blood loss, and I have no idea why. :o

HIT THE PANIC BUTTON!

Most likely a forgotten beast syndrome. Check their inventory for contaminants.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22441 on: May 03, 2012, 08:56:00 am »

The puppies hanging out in my meeting area are spontaneously dying of blood loss, and I have no idea why. :o

HIT THE PANIC BUTTON!

But there are no forgotten beasts available yet because I haven't breached the caverns, and the only titan to show up was a biter, which didn't kill any of the adult dogs affected by it's syndrome. There's no extract or anything on the puppy's corpses or anywhere on the ground

There's literally nothing available to be killing them. No combat, no weird substances, nothing. It also seemed to stop after 5 were deceased, in quick succession, which would rule out the possibility that my embark is just so damn hot it's killing them. There's no grease/fat on the ground with the blood, so they're not melting it would seem.

A real WTF moment.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22442 on: May 03, 2012, 09:08:05 am »

HIT THE PANIC BUTTON!

But there are no forgotten beasts available yet because I haven't breached the caverns, and the only titan to show up was a biter, which didn't kill any of the adult dogs affected by it's syndrome. There's no extract or anything on the puppy's corpses or anywhere on the ground

There's literally nothing available to be killing them. No combat, no weird substances, nothing. It also seemed to stop after 5 were deceased, in quick succession, which would rule out the possibility that my embark is just so damn hot it's killing them. There's no grease/fat on the ground with the blood, so they're not melting it would seem.

A real WTF moment.
Ghosts? A tantruming dorf?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22443 on: May 03, 2012, 09:10:52 am »

HIT THE PANIC BUTTON!

A real WTF moment.

Are you using any mods or anything?  Could they have died of old age?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22444 on: May 03, 2012, 01:28:42 pm »

Although it's rather slow at the moment, this is surprising for the nature of my fort, so I'll just recap a bit

let me tell of Geshud Shash..

I created the world from advanced parameters but didnt change a helluva lot.  I increased the amount of evil sites considerably, made small changes here and there, set the mineral scarcity to 420 ( ;) ) because I didn't feel like wasting precious dwarven time on any of that 'searching' nonsense.I required industry.

From the very beginning, 'Geshud Shash' ('Fortress of Hell' in Dwarven) offered little reason or sanity. Bitter slime rained from the skies, making it impossible (at least from my view) to notice the forest of eyestalks and fleshy whatever's living like grass off the ground.  Once we got inside the mountain I almost immediately set my dwarves to carving out the start of my main section of fortress, a giant ringed pentagram of course, that will 'spin' clockwise every z-level down (the staircase is in the center) and probably go about 6 levels down (doing a half rotation) the staircase in the middle, however, will delve straight towards the underground.

My biggest mistake was allowing so many minerals, and embarking with a dedicated metalsmith (already skilled in weapon/armorsmith) and then churning out so many steel weapons and armor, but needless to say in no short amount of time (I'd only carved out 2 levels of the fortress) we were already getting hit by heavy sieges.  The first siege, about a year in, was just a single war party; followed almost immediately by another siege of 3 more warparties (and war cave dragons, but no big deal. just dragons)

Due to a mixture of dwarven balls and a silly amount of traps at my front door, we always repelled the invaders, but an increasing wave of unhappiness from alot of my dwarves, particularly military ones (yearlong training regiments and long battles in bitter slime storms, while being out of alcohol, seems to do that) was always threatening, and as I feared it served our undoing in a final siege. The battle itself and ensuing massacre was how you'd expect, but actually uneventful save for a Goblin general running into weapon traps and dying like a bitch in front of his whole squad. I gave up before they'd even killed half my dwarves and i had already settled on making a new world.

But I could not give up on my fortress!

I set about to reclaim shortly after fucking around in a different world, and things have gotten rather interesting.  I spent the first year waiting for migrants and watching my dwarves run around hauling everything I had ever made ever, not that I mean after the first year I was done hauling.  No, I'm well into (maybe even past?) the second year and I've still only cleaned up half my fortress still; but the most interesting problems so far have been in the problem of wereiguanas.

First off, there are plenty of goblins from the first fort still loitering around being friendly too us (naturally) and I've mostly ignored them, but lately a wereiguana attacked and killed several goblins before running off screen (my military dwarves couldn't even get outside in time) I watched him leave. And yet.. maybe a season later, one of the goblin spearmen standing around revealed himself to also be a wereiguana!  Now I didn't remember if the names matched, but this is quite a funky coincidence.  Now this one ended up killing a ranger (rather brutally) before 3 more gobbos rallied together and took him down (again, my soldiers were nowhere to be found)

Entertaining as that was, my latest problem has been in the most recent migrant wave.  I got about 20 dwarves, and since I usually give their personalities a quick check I was looking through them all, to notice a clothier happened to be exactly like a certain shedwarf I had in the first Geshud Shash! I checked her affiliations and sure enough the times and names all checked out, she was a true siege survivor, and a good one since she had been a decorated speardwarf, and had also become a professional clothier (something I did not have) in the time. 

Sure enough, I was basically giggling like a little girl (on the inside) only to have my hopes flogged and murdered once again when I found out barely after all the migrant had settled.. my speardwarf/survivor/badass has become a vampire.

She's already murdered 2 of my dwarves, and despite currently serving 200 days in jail that I sentenced her too, I still kinda like her
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:31:17 pm by theprofessor! »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22445 on: May 03, 2012, 02:10:45 pm »

Marksdwarf got an title, SpeechlessAnvils the fall of kindling. ???
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22446 on: May 03, 2012, 03:00:20 pm »

Just started an above Ground Fortress with a Megaproject type of layout.
Big Houses for every Dwarf+ his family (wife/husband and child), big walkways, statues everywhere, temples...
Just need to get started properly. Mass producing blocks isnt as easy as you would think, at least if you have to fend off some gobbos and animals.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22447 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:49 pm »

Rabbit Hut is under seige.

Well, maybe not.

Sig is updated.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22448 on: May 03, 2012, 08:42:14 pm »

Sabreheals has lost three more to the Infernal Ash sickness; two babies and a child.

Further to that, the Mayor Kivish got caught feeding four times. A planter survived it, so I checked his stats.

HE IS INCREDIBLY MUSCULAR, INDEFATIGABLE AND MIGHTY.

Kills: Two hundred and twenty goblins in the Hills of Darkening or whatever.

Yup. Military for this guy.

The mayor was issued with 50 hammer strikes, but SURVIVED IT. Of these, roughly 25 were shots from a crossbow. He's recovering in hospital.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22449 on: May 03, 2012, 08:58:44 pm »

Rabbit Hut is under seige.
[snip]

Well, maybe not.

Sig is updated.

Have I mentioned how much I love your fort layout? The circles and waves thing looks awesome. Do you designate it by hand?

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22450 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:29 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

11) Slugging Stone Around
12) Trading Season - Part 1 - Awaiting the Surge

I plan to begin above-ground development. I want to build lots of infrastructure above ground
before things get out of hand.
So I open the NW Migrant Tube, since tick corpses are in the south.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Despite my best efforts and burrowing, I can't seem to get the new migrants to actually build the walls
that I've designated. But it doesn't matter now.

A carvan from TesaSia Isuzu has arrived !
Since I built my Trade Depot above ground (with poor defenses),
I actually get a whole caravan / wagon thing going in this fort.

I'm kinda worried that they caravan will intersect the Tick corpses, and I'm not sure what will happen,
but they kinda avoid each other and for some reason it works out.

Merchants have arrived and are unloading their goods

I close the migrant tubes, since the depot is right next to my hut/door.
I'm in no rush to open my outside passages (which can lead to Fun), so for now
I decide that I need to be pro-active and butcher the 2 migrant-livestock before they die and rise.

I pick the cow first. Goes fine.

Well, the butchering goes fine. And it turns out
I made a good choice to stay inside because a kobold thief appears.

Well this sux. It dies and will no doubt re-animate near my depot.
And, I've heard there's a trading bug if you get interrupted while trading.
The guards make very short work of it, but I'll have to do something about that corpse...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:12:02 am by ZzarkLinux »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22451 on: May 03, 2012, 10:03:12 pm »

The RNG hates me.  :(
The only useful artifacts for any non-zero value of "useful" in Razorwheel are a zinc coffin and a crundle bone mace, respectively. Everything else is shit like wood cups and bone bracelets. And even the useful ones aren't all that spectacular. Plus I can't see a mace wrapped in wool cloth being very deadly somehow...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22452 on: May 03, 2012, 10:08:08 pm »

My Giant Wren and Giant Crows are nesting.

My cistern is dried and evaporating. It got stagnated so I reworked the intake valves to use a windmill powered pump.

The connecting of my spike hall proceeds slowly. I'm considering putting together a few cave in traps for the circus. They're eager to perform for me, but my playground just isn't ready yet. Do clowns enjoy pressure plate tricks?

Oh boy...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:25:46 pm by Daenyth »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22453 on: May 03, 2012, 10:30:41 pm »

Ghosts? A tantruming dorf?

Nope and nope. The only ghost is a forlorn haunt, and nobody cried the day he died, or for any reason. Everyone is perfectly happy and healthy. Except the ghost.

Are you using any mods or anything?  Could they have died of old age?

I'm using a lot of mods, but nothing that has anything to do with bleeding to death. I fixed all the materials-based errors I'd created last time. These were 1-year-old puppies, dying of blood loss in the middle of a meeting zone and no associated combat reports, not even infighting amongst the animals. Which increases the creepiness a hundred fold. Nothing else has died since unless I specifically ordered it to be butchered.

The fortress is OK for now. The food supplier is hanging out in his own secluded burrow cut off from the outside world except by a dump zone from which he deposits barrels of booze. The stoneworkers are legendary as all hell and we have walls surrounding a huge pasture. The elves brought me many wonderful animals, which I didn't pay for, but only a breeding pair of giant dingos. One other giant dingo, another male, was butchered for inferior genetics.

Also, in the real world, I just got rushed by our newly adopted kitten. She's trying to intimidate us and the other cats by arching her back and running up to them. So adorable :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22454 on: May 03, 2012, 11:33:36 pm »

Also, in the real world, I just got rushed by our newly adopted kitten. She's trying to intimidate us and the other cats by arching her back and running up to them. So adorable :P

Don't you mean the kitten adopted YOU?

edit:  I just realised that I think I've done the impossible;  I found a dwarven use for Microcline.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:38:55 pm by ThatAussieGuy »
Pages: 1 ... 1495 1496 [1497] 1498 1499 ... 3836