Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1498 1499 [1500] 1501 1502 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842861 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22485 on: May 05, 2012, 08:38:57 am »

I have made a throneroom worthy of a King made entirely out of Gold.  That I shall give to one of my hardworking masons.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22486 on: May 05, 2012, 09:35:08 am »

Got a massive goblin siege, at least five different battle groups, plus a general and all.
Most of them took the Gravity Express to my spiked pit. (Turns out 6 z is not enough of a drop to kill most goblins, but together wityh the spikes it messes them up something fierce none the less.) The weapon traps at my entrance and crossbowdwarves got a bunch of baddies as well, and axdorfs and silver warhammer guard disposed of the remaining stragglers.

I think the general got away though.

I'm running into some FPS problems, owning to the 200+ dorfs and their pets. Tried to ease things up a bit with traffic designations and butchering a lot of unadopted kittens and puppies. FPS only rose from 17 to ~20, though...  :-\
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22487 on: May 05, 2012, 10:10:34 am »

Made a fort, planned to hermit it, so I named the miner Nix, after my often used Community game pseudonym.

I built a small room where I set up some wooden spike traps.  I used them, the things don't kill, they lacerate, but they didn't kill immediately, except for suffocation and bleeding to death.

Migrants were coming, and then I figured, why not impale all of them, eventually?  So I gave my avatar Nix a new name.

"Nix the Impaler". 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22488 on: May 05, 2012, 10:28:46 am »

And now, for some reason, my hermit is stuck "attending meeting" when there's no one else there.  Help? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22489 on: May 05, 2012, 10:59:49 am »

And now, for some reason, my hermit is stuck "attending meeting" when there's no one else there.  Help?

Is he the mayor/expedition leader? Another dwarf may be looking for someone in authority to shout at / cry on - use the Nobles screen to give another dwarf the job and this should cancel it out.

Alternatively, kill everyone else (although it sounds like you're making good progress on this).

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22490 on: May 05, 2012, 11:18:12 am »

I have made a throneroom worthy of a King made entirely out of Gold.  That I shall give to one of my hardworking masons.

This is the correct solution.

I keep meaning to get back into building my fortress, but I keep getting distracted by university stuff. Ah, well. At some point my glass tower shall call me back to her cold, green embrace.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22491 on: May 05, 2012, 11:50:26 am »

Need some opinions.  How does this look as a half-finished semi-interactive level-by-level map of a fort suspended in the middle of a carved-out chasm? (the area within the blue squares)

As a bonus, the thing to the southwest of it is the counter connected to my fun new DoomClock.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22492 on: May 05, 2012, 12:10:55 pm »

Started a new fort, half of which is in an evil mountain range. It's been raining red repellant goo off and on now for 2 months now.

But it's also got limestone, coal, all three iron ores, cassiterite, and copper.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22493 on: May 05, 2012, 12:21:42 pm »

I am irate. I swear by the gods themselves I shall smite every Kea that enters my map.

They have stole TWELVE MASTERWORK gold goblets.  TWELVE.... IN ONE FELL SWING!

Maybe it's my fault for elevating the trading depot onto a grand spire entirely composed of charcoal to aggrovate the Elves.

Also, a lovley basic mathmatical fail means that I have to wait another 2 years for my fortborn to become adults, atleast everything is ready for their eventual training into demi-gods.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22494 on: May 05, 2012, 12:27:29 pm »

I am irate. I swear by the gods themselves I shall smite every Kea that enters my map.

They have stole TWELVE MASTERWORK gold goblets.  TWELVE.... IN ONE FELL SWING!

Maybe it's my fault for elevating the trading depot onto a grand spire entirely composed of charcoal to aggrovate the Elves.

Also, a lovley basic mathmatical fail means that I have to wait another 2 years for my fortborn to become adults, atleast everything is ready for their eventual training into demi-gods.

your user name and that post gave me an excuse to use this Image

I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Pharaun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22495 on: May 05, 2012, 01:12:43 pm »

I'm running into some FPS problems, owning to the 200+ dorfs and their pets. Tried to ease things up a bit with traffic designations and butchering a lot of unadopted kittens and puppies. FPS only rose from 17 to ~20, though...  :-\

All of these goblin pikemen! So kind of them to give me their weapons. Trying a squad of them now! :D

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22496 on: May 05, 2012, 01:35:22 pm »

First time with 34.07. I embarked on terrifying area and promptly lost nearly all dwarves to a dust cloud.

Well, next time I will be more careful. Let's embark on that haunted bit instead and prepare carefully.

Moved supplies inside, dismantled the wagon, built proper dormitory and meeting hall to prevent dwarves from gathering outside. I were working on channeling the stream near the fortress to prevent dwarves from going outside when a dust cloud decided to spawn near the entrance to my fortress. Well, it doesn't matter  -everyone was gathered safely inside except of two miners who were returned before the cloud even fully appeared. Having avoided the disaster, I proceeded to observe the wolverine who wandered near the entrance. Ha! Stupid animal! Hope you liked this ash cloud...

...stupid wolverine blight dust thrall... Well, let's see if you are better than a regular wolverine.

I observed the combat logs for a while - the dogs seemed to have everything under control. Cancel the alarms, designate the channel again... wait, wait, wait... is this fight still going on? A jeweler is fighting... a dog dust blight thrall? That doesn't seem right, did one of them get caught into the cloud too?

Let's check the unit list... and, of course, there is a dwarf jeweler blight dust thrall. In the meantime, another cloud appeared and the wolverine managed to hound two other dwarves inside the affected area. So now there were more undead than living people in my fortress and all of them were contagious...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22497 on: May 05, 2012, 04:05:27 pm »

ok, so I'm using The rapist to assign some jobs to children, but now they all show up as pesant, even when they're legendary furnace operators or bone carvers (hey, if they can't stand cruelty nd heavy labor they just don't have it) or as a lesser option, farmers, clothesmakers or, in a few cases, miners.

On the otherhand, a peasant is now going to make me an artifact mechanism and going to become my favorite mechanic
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22498 on: May 05, 2012, 04:09:34 pm »

I'm using The rapist to assign some jobs to children

o-o

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22499 on: May 05, 2012, 06:22:13 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

13) Trading Season - Part 2 - Here they come
14) Trading Season - Part 3 - Trade Winds are blowing

Kobolds and cows stuffed in a chamber? Check
Cloud City duel on my rooftop? Check
Traders that aren't actually trading? Check
And some fancy music

The kobolds and cow pieces are rising, and the llama wool rises.

I dispatch my militia to "guard" the wool in my chambers.
Meanwhile, the traders are also having a good time too.

My liason asks me what I want next time.
So I tell him: Leather Wood MetalBars Anvils Seeds CatDog GypsumPlaster CaveFishLobster CopperCages TinCages

And I manage to get enough mugs to the depot to actually trade.
IIRC Bronze Low Boots, some plaster, some seeds, a couple bars. That's all I can get for what little I manage to bring to the depot.
Spoiler: Proof of Purchase (click to show/hide)

The Kea corpses continue to fall outside. On my roof.
My dwarves are scrambling to get them inside to the butcher chamber so I can seal them all off.
Also, my dwarves won't bring other stuff inside because I have no room for stockpiles.
So I designate several main hallways to serve as stockpiles for now.

Winter is upon you

One of the Kea corpses re-animates in near the bedrooms while being dumped,
so my militia have to deviate from their chamber,
and let havoc happen there while we get the bedroom under control.

Eventually all the Kea Corpses are down, and my only wildlife on the surface
is a live wolverwine. Very good.

One of my dwarves (civilians) keeps trying to butcher a kea corpse, for meat or something.
Not sure how that works exactly.

Eventually the merchants pack their things, just as I get all 6+ Kea Corpses (and assorted body parts)
all squared away in the chamber. My only casualty is that one AxeDwarf lost his right hand, so that'll
be crawling around in there too.

And so my trading days are numbered.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:59:59 pm by ZzarkLinux »
Pages: 1 ... 1498 1499 [1500] 1501 1502 ... 3836