Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1499 1500 [1501] 1502 1503 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854610 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22500 on: May 05, 2012, 06:38:04 pm »

My ranger captains are committing suicide. Because they aren't wearing their pants and won't take off their greaves to put pants on.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22501 on: May 05, 2012, 06:47:40 pm »

How the hell do you deal with pond grabbers? My marksdork squad won't follow a kill order on them, and if I station nearby they don't shoot at them. Just lost a child of my fisherdwarf.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22502 on: May 05, 2012, 06:49:55 pm »

My ranger captains are committing suicide. Because they aren't wearing their pants and won't take off their greaves to put pants on.

It's a good idea to include trousers in Dwarf uniforms. They also seem to be a *bit* smarter with their clothes now, so layers work most of the time too

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22503 on: May 05, 2012, 07:29:46 pm »

Just discovered the joys of sending 2 recruits (who just happened to be Legendary Miners) armed with masterwork steel everything against 8 Trolls. Good times, good times.

The hauling squad washed the troll blood out of the hallway pretty quickly, too. Wish I could say the same for the blood currently being tracked ALL OVER everywhere else.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22504 on: May 05, 2012, 07:53:25 pm »

Currently going on: Abandon Fortress.

Reason: Stagnant water. Again.

Description:

Breached a cavern, lots of water down there and it goes through the map edge. I decided to use that to dump the water I pump out of my river, along the meeting hall for mists and down into the reservoir for the hospital's well and the meeting halls well. So far it was all fine. All finished, pumps designed, windmill's connected for power and then: give it a go.

Then, 2 injured dwarfs died because of infection, WTF? I check the water -> stagnant. The river water: stagnant.

Now I was like: How the fuck this time? This was a river WITHOUT direct adjacent murky pools. Even the pumped water was stagnant and as a result: the cavern water too. I shouldn't have opened that hatch first. I knew it had a reason I put it there ... damn.

So, conclusion: seems like that water in a river that freezes in winter becomes stagnant too.

Next fort: hot biome! Let's see what's going on there ...

... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22505 on: May 05, 2012, 08:31:46 pm »

My resident vampire, who has been a nuisance for some time, finally picked a good person to kill.  Mayor had just mandated 3 large gems (only a proficient gem cutter), when the vampire took him out.  Hopefully the new mayor doesn't make such outlandish demands. . .

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22506 on: May 05, 2012, 09:18:29 pm »

Just broke a third siege, which had shown up inconveniently when I was making modifications to my entrances and couldn't seal the fort conveniently. Some losses. For some reason, though, the goblins always get disheartened when I pour magma on their heads.

Because my old computer gets bogged down this late in the game. I keep *hoping* for large die-offs of dwarves, but don't want to do anything deliberately suicidal. Current plan is to make some candy armor/weapons and use goblin and troll prisoners to train some legendary potential migrants before I abandon. Maybe also make a spare suit for an adventurer to find?

I have two possible deaths planned for the fort:
(1) train that legendary dragon I captured. I figure it's impossible, or will go wild quickly, slaying many. Use DFhack and mark the place as the dragon's lair before abandoning.
(2) dig down through this candy to reach the circus, which I've never done before.

Which is going to be more fun?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22507 on: May 06, 2012, 01:02:33 am »

Looks like somebody thinks all that artifact crafts crap valuable; I just got my second goblin siege of the year. And not a small one either, 4 or 5 squads IIRC.
My former kickass militia commander (and a lot of other militia) was out putting bolts into some pesky gray langurs and was rushed by a swarm of bowgoblins. May he rest in peace.  :'(

The goblins also slaughtered the elven caravan, something I don't know how to feel about. On one hand, screw those uppity tree huggers... On the other, elven ambushes are goddamn annoying, and I kind of keep hoping they'd bring me a pair of black mambas or some other critter with instakill poison bite.
(No such luck so far; who in their right mind would even buy a giant flying squirrel?)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22508 on: May 06, 2012, 01:06:43 am »

Nearly finished my megaproject (finally).  I seem to have hit quite a few gold veins during my excavation and general digging, so I'm having the entrance to the chasm fort made entirely out of gold bars.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22509 on: May 06, 2012, 01:56:20 am »

Finally started a new fort, "Ironpillar".

As such? I'm constructing a completely above-ground fortress that shall have an iron pillar suspended over it. I shall then trigger the HFS and, as they all ascend a perfectly straight hole to my surface fort, this iron pillar shall descen like a spear from heaven and strike them all down!

HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22510 on: May 06, 2012, 01:58:58 am »

Finally started a new fort, "Ironpillar".

As such? I'm constructing a completely above-ground fortress that shall have an iron pillar suspended over it. I shall then trigger the HFS and, as they all ascend a perfectly straight hole to my surface fort, this iron pillar shall descen like a spear from heaven and strike them all down!

HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly.  Keep in mind though, I don't know if it's fixed in 34.07, but in 31.25 there was a game-crashing bug that occurred if a fire-based clown lost his fire (as in 'the limb sailed off in an arc' lost).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22511 on: May 06, 2012, 02:07:58 am »

a siege of 4 enormous squads was beaten effortlessly as they had forgotten to bring archers. cleanup is taking ages
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
« Reply #22512 on: May 06, 2012, 03:06:13 am »

This fort has got to be the most uninteresting one ever.

200+ dwarves in with ~1000000 wealth and the only hostiles have been thieves who run away as soon as my watch dogs catch them.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22513 on: May 06, 2012, 03:14:00 am »

And now, for some reason, my hermit is stuck "attending meeting" when there's no one else there.  Help?

Is he the mayor/expedition leader? Another dwarf may be looking for someone in authority to shout at / cry on - use the Nobles screen to give another dwarf the job and this should cancel it out.

Alternatively, kill everyone else (although it sounds like you're making good progress on this).

My guy's just a miner.  And there is one dwarf left, a farmer.  I don't know if I can kill him, because I can't snap my hermit dwarf out of his psychotic "attend meeting" hallucination.  He just stops to eat and drink. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22514 on: May 06, 2012, 03:14:35 am »

This fort has got to be the most uninteresting one ever.

200+ dwarves in with ~1000000 wealth and the only hostiles have been thieves who run away as soon as my watch dogs catch them.
wanna swap? I'm going to turn off invaders for a year just to clean up all this crap. 6 ambushes and 6 snatchered followed right after the siege was dealt with
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1499 1500 [1501] 1502 1503 ... 3836