Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855590 times)

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2595 on: May 03, 2010, 08:18:54 am »

Currently, I'm doing quite a few things. I recently got a 20-odd migrant wave, including 3 Peasants, and 2 Fish Dissectors. I just mined out some Tetrahedrite so I could make some Copper Short Swords for training. Although I only have two squads at the moment. Two Peasants from my first migrant wave who are now Champion Wrestlers are stationed at my fort's only entrance along with various traps. And my only other squad is two Recruits who are outfitted with leather armor and bronze shields and swords, training. I'm going to make them respectable fighters and then outfit them with Obsidian Short Swords. Normally I'd use Steel, but my embark point had a ridiculous amount of natural obsidian and tetrahedrite but little to no steel ore. My entire fort is mostly obsidian.

In non-military affairs, my fort is currently at about 50 dwarves total. I'm having my 3 miners work on carving out rooms and tombs for the nobles, since I like planning ahead. I'm also getting to work mass-smoothing all the walls of my fort and engraving here and there. I've also recently installed a moat and drawbridge outside my entrance connected to a lever outside my dining room, with an abundance of traps in case anything does get in. And finally, my only real ore in the area is Tetrahedrite, so the metal production industry has been...slow. I'm mostly focusing on making copper training equipment so I can get the skills now and maybe trade for steel later.

I'm actually doing very well food and booze wise. My main food source is Plump Helmets with Pig Tails thrown in for variety. I have 200 total food, roughly 150 Plump Helmets and 50 Pig Tails, along with about 400 total booze. Even with 50 dwarves and near-constant partying, my food and booze stores are doing nothing but increasing thanks to my multitude of farms. I might have to set Plump Helmets to cookable and put my kitchens on overdrive just to reduce my stores.

Last but not least, I'm on my 3rd strange mood total, and all of them have been Fey Moods. Luckily each time I had all the required items. On the bad side, the dwarves taken by moods did not have any moodable skills. The current Dwarf in a mood is a Woodcrafter, currently building...something in a Craftsdwarf's Workshop.

All of this is in 40d if anyone is curious. 2010 is too buggy for me to play currently, though I'll pop in to it sometimes for arena fun.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:46:30 am by Krath »
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: May 03, 2010, 08:36:27 am »

I'm trying to figure out how to get my f'ing doctors to diagnose the patents before they become sleeping pus sacks
Other than that everything is better than expected

Rapidfirewombat

• Bay Watcher
  • Size: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: May 03, 2010, 10:40:37 am »

Just had an FB come up from the caverns and go to town on my military.  It was a giant mite, so it had wayyyy too many legs and a lot of kicking attacks.  It kicked my speardwarf in his right arm three times, giving him hella compound fractures throughout the arm and fingers through his steel mail shirt and steel gauntlets.  The speardwarf had to take a little nap after that.

Luckily the axedwarf finally cut the thing's head off, so my speardwarf chilled out and rested for a little bit while the doc attempted surgery.  Eventually the speardwarf had enough and went back to doing combat drills, even though his right arm still looks like something out of a medical textbook about catastrophic injuries.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: May 03, 2010, 11:03:41 am »

just lost a fort to three goblin ambushes in quick succession followed by a tantrum spiral. I had honestly expected to lose the fort to elephants or something, since there was a decent sized herd of them on the map, but they stayed away for the most part.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: May 03, 2010, 03:07:52 pm »

Atom Crusher succesful!
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2152-atomcrushertest

I guess I'm not the only one doing this. Only 3 dorfs survived out of the last 18-strong migrant wave. Now another one just as big came, with about 4 useful dwarfs I could care to house and feed. I'm still pondering on what should I do with the kids that tagged along. Can kids go berserk or throw destructive tantrums? If not, I can spare them, they'll grow out of losing their parents after dining in my great hall.

I also managed to dig through 2 cavern layers to magma sea and got a magma pump stack (23 pumps) powered by waterwheels from a nearby brook (getting axles and gears was a project on it's own). I managed to avoid flooding my fortress with burning death.

It didn't go without casualties though. A forgotten beast (a twin-tailed beakless grebe breathing poisonous vapors) somehow found it's way into one of exploratory shafts and went though the tunnel connecting standalone water power plant with inner castle courtyard. Where my military was training. Useless military due to inability to make marksdwarfs shoot. The thing began to fly and breathe poison everywhere. It killed my best suturer/wound dresser too. Then one of my macedwarfs ignored an order to move inside (so I could fight) and went at it. After few hits he smashed its spine apart. I guess blunt weapons aren't all that useless after all.

Overall, I'm half tempted to flood the shit out of caverns. Nothing good came out of them.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: May 03, 2010, 03:10:16 pm »

Get all of the benefits with none of the hassle: Wall them off after discovering them, and create an old-fashioned towercap farm.

Only now, you don't need plots. Just Gather the plants straight from your fungus farm, and mark all saplings with d>o>r Restricted Traffic to prevent trampling.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: May 03, 2010, 03:44:30 pm »

I'm playing with Tentacle Demons modded in, in my fort.

You don't want to know what's going on in my fort...
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: May 03, 2010, 04:01:14 pm »

I'm playing with Tentacle Demons modded in, in my fort.

You don't want to know what's going on in my fort...

I have seen Goblin Fortress (THAT Goblin Fortress).

You cannot suprise me, sir.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: May 03, 2010, 04:18:06 pm »

So after getting bored with my dwarves locked in moral combat with skeletal giants I abandoned and reclaimed only to find that those giants left were now in ambush mode and that the cavern they apparently lived in breached the aquifer. I decided to wait it out and see which would cause my fort to crumble a second time (it was the aquifer thanks to a skeletal giant scaring a dwarf into a pool).

I have now embarked a few tiles away, still on the same terrifying glacier and now have a constant trickle of skeletal yetis attacking, every time I kill or capture one another instantly spawns on the edge of the map, the first year's not quite over yet and I've killed or captured nearly 20 of the beasts, but only have lost one dwarf.

As my dwarves are apparently from a dead civ I get no dwarven caravan, which makes me sad. Things shall be interesting when/if the elves arrive.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: May 03, 2010, 04:52:51 pm »

I am planning on making a fort on the ocean side that will be at the bottom of an artificial lake.

See, I'll dig out a basin at the sea-side, establish a fort at the bottom, and encase it in a glass dome, add a chimney and then flood the basin.
It will be the cools. (Until I mess up and prematurely flood the basin/leave a crack in the dome.)
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: May 03, 2010, 04:57:24 pm »

Be sure to have "Failsafe Bulkheads" for shutting off seawater flow, which you can "test"!
The sigs topic:

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: May 03, 2010, 05:00:10 pm »

You mean drowning chambers and elf caravans?
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: May 03, 2010, 05:12:51 pm »

I think my meaning can be summed up in one word.

RAPTURE!
The sigs topic:

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: May 03, 2010, 05:15:32 pm »

I think my meaning can be summed up in one word.

RAPTURE of Elfs!!1

Fix'd.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: May 03, 2010, 05:40:04 pm »

Inspiration struck, guys.

DWARF FORTRESS
A glass dome
encased in water.
Beneath the foam,
Down there, they totter.
Drunk and delirious,
The lords are furious.
The militia, resplendent in steel
Fear they do not feel.

The clowns charge forth,
The dwarfs dig in.
But their weapons would have no worth,
There is no chance they will win.
The savagery is terrifying.
The onslaught verifying,
In glass, they are doomed.
In glass, they will be entombed.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 3836