Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852151 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2640 on: May 05, 2010, 04:25:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Angry bears?
check.

Bearded persons with weapons and warlike attitude?
check.

Riders Bears enjoy their alcohol?
...check.

Persons involved being irrevocably f*d likely to have Fun?
...check.

Riders comically too small to realistically ride a bear?
NO CHECK!

We need fanart for this.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: May 05, 2010, 04:59:25 pm »

Whitecastle has fallen.

During a large orc siege, the entirety of the fortress guard randomly decided to charge out of the front gate with reckless abandon.  Against my better judgment I ordered my regular military to follow, thinking along the lines of the regular military's full iron gear being enough to protect them from the 20 orc bowmen.

Nope.

On the open field the orc's mounted archers started slaughtering me.  The creatures the archers were mounted on were afraid of my soldiers, causing them to run away, while the archers continued shooting.  The result? The archers acted like goddamn archers and avoided getting into melee range.  Despite the armor, my army was slaughtered.  I then abandoned so that my previously prepared adventurer could come into the now orc infested halls and throw down some righteous justice.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: May 05, 2010, 05:19:54 pm »

On the open field the orc's mounted archers started slaughtering me.  The creatures the archers were mounted on were afraid of my soldiers, causing them to run away, while the archers continued shooting.  The result? The archers acted like goddamn archers and avoided getting into melee range.  Despite the armor, my army was slaughtered.  I then abandoned so that my previously prepared adventurer could come into the now orc infested halls and throw down some righteous justice.

Hah. Those were not orcs, sir. Those were Mongols! :P

Anyway, I'm still with Emenshorast, my 40d fort. It's getting nicely, with population cap at 70, quite a lot of the fortress are now childs.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Batta

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Wyvern
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: May 05, 2010, 05:23:52 pm »

Started out Athelnum (Ringwind!) next to a major river, thought it'd just be a slightly larger than usual river. As it turns out, it's 37 tiles wide. I plan on building on top of it and in the hill north of it so I can isolate my fortress.

Also dug deep early, discovering the caverns. There's cave swallowmen *and* live giant cave spiders down there. Surprisingly they get along just fine.

Not much to say otherwise, things are going pretty slowly for now.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: May 05, 2010, 07:13:28 pm »

Started Woundpresent next to a brook. Brought some dogs with me, one male and a few female(puppy mill!). A short while ago, I saw I had some combat reports. The most recent was a mountain goat kicking a farmer in the head, but before that, I saw the one of one of my dogs taking down a snailman that I wasn't really aware was there.

Got a small immigrant wave early on, possibly due to early discover of native gold. Nothing worth noting, except a high master armorer with some slight mining skill as well.

I misunderstood what required irrigation, and as a result flooded a large area of above-ground farmland. Now working on a method to put water into the mined-out area that I was supposed to flood.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: May 05, 2010, 07:19:10 pm »

Setting up a Dwarven Science and Research Center. This time, I'm loking to specifically test out means of dropping a pod with a living dwarf inside to the bottom of the ocean. Trying to get the groundwork in quickly so I can get to the science!

Strangely enough, all seven embark dwarves are females. You'd think the migrants would come running.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: May 05, 2010, 07:22:16 pm »

Setting up a Dwarven Science and Research Center. This time, I'm loking to specifically test out means of dropping a pod with a living dwarf inside to the bottom of the ocean. Trying to get the groundwork in quickly so I can get to the science!

Strangely enough, all seven embark dwarves are females. You'd think the migrants would come running.
Oh my.

For the pod thing, are you planning to try all the methods? I think that supports sound the most promising, as long as they don't deconstruct.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: May 05, 2010, 07:23:56 pm »

Seven sexy dwarves in labcoats? I'd drop on that like an elf on magma.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Batta

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Wyvern
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: May 05, 2010, 09:20:31 pm »

Well, something happened. There are three blind cave ogres in my fortress now. Two of them aren't doing anything, but one of them started going Godzilla on every last building of mine that it could find. Despite being blind. It also ripped a dog's leg off.

I know it's cheating, but I backed up my save. I'm gonna try my best to eliminate these pests before giving up and letting them wipe out my dwarves.

EDIT: A second one began its own rampage too. Because of that one, my temporarily recruited Woodworker let the first one get into the dining room. Thankfully it stayed there until he could go down there and hack it to pieces. The only casualty is somebody's dog, and even that's not dead yet.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 09:32:45 pm by Batta »

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: May 05, 2010, 09:32:36 pm »

I finally made my first traction bench.  Apparently the first option on the manager screen requires an iron table as its fundamental component...figured that out and now I've got a worthy hospital.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: May 05, 2010, 09:39:21 pm »

For the pod thing, are you planning to try all the methods? I think that supports sound the most promising, as long as they don't deconstruct.

I'm planning to get several configurations up and running. I think I'm going to start with a basic obsidian cube with a hole in it, which I'm 99.99% certain will fail due to the ceiling crushing the inside. From there I'll try the supports, the water bubble method, double-hulled pods, anything until I can get the drop to work right. The end goal is to drop something containing water and some supplies with a single living dwarf inside, into a substantial depth of water, and have the dwarf survive as well as keep the pod intact and un-flooded.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: May 05, 2010, 10:33:02 pm »

I'm planning to get several configurations up and running. I think I'm going to start with a basic obsidian cube with a hole in it, which I'm 99.99% certain will fail due to the ceiling crushing the inside. From there I'll try the supports, the water bubble method, double-hulled pods, anything until I can get the drop to work right. The end goal is to drop something containing water and some supplies with a single living dwarf inside, into a substantial depth of water, and have the dwarf survive as well as keep the pod intact and un-flooded.

I heard a rumour some megabeast types are cave-in-resistant...
EDIT: lies, all lies.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:55:34 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: May 05, 2010, 11:35:12 pm »

While I was carving out my elaborate bridge-and-pressure plate drowning chamber I managed to breach the ceiling of my occupation layer. Water flowed in, threatening to drown everything and everyone.

Fortunately, I had an intervening stairwell down to the caverns beneath, and a channeled hole into the nether deeps which I was using as a waste facility. The water flowed down into the abyss. Unfortunately, this meant that my drowning chamber was rather sub-par - something had to be done. So I built constraining walls on top of the hole and the last series of tiles of my stairwell, blocking the incoming deluge and allowing the drowning chamber to fill successfully. The only major loss in terms of territory was the magnificent tomb I had built for my first fatality (I always build a grand tomb for the first dwarf to die.) It is now thoroughly submerged. In the process of blocking up the holes, another brave dorf had also laid down his life, having slipped on the slick edge of the hole he was trying to damn up and falling about 10 z-levels into the depths. The dwarf have been unable to recover his body thus far, as they are unprepared to brave the wonders and dangers of the dark below just yet.

Just as I had declared victory over this difficult situation, a message arrived from the perimeter: Urist McHunter has been struck down. Looking at the combat logs it became clear that one of the local alligators had nommed poor Urist by the head and yanked it clean off. I was vaguely amused by Urist's body, complete with its smiling, bloody ascii face over here, and a little red z over there - sure enough, Urist's head. In between was a line of ascii gore in what must have been a horrifying scene.

*Chortle.*

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: May 06, 2010, 12:15:34 am »

After years of requesting cages at maximum priority, the elves finally brought me a pair of grizzly bears (both females unfortunately). It's been a goal of mine to have a pack of war bears in my fort. Now I just need a Dungeon Master. Anyone know what the requirements are to get one in 0.31?

My wondrous menagerie of animals includes four wolves, two cougars, three black bears, two grizzlies, six deer, five warthogs, and boatloads of lesser animals, birds, common livestock, war dogs etc. They all share a cage and live in harmony, except for the cows, dog and kittens I threw into the cavern to explore it for me (the kittens killed the tame oriole I threw in there with them. The dog started a fight with a giant toad and was killed.)
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: May 06, 2010, 04:27:27 am »

My .31 glacier fort is in a Tenuous situation, to say the least.

I was *THIS* close to getting my cavern farms and brewery up and running when everyone started dieing of thirst. 7 deaths later, my last farmer saves everyone with a barrel of booze.

6 Remain. Two rounds of tantrums later, I'm down to 4 survivors: A mason, a carpenter, a glassmaker and a farmer. I've got it settled down for now though.

Unfortunately, the dead included my Expedition Leader, so now my nobles screen has imploded.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 3836