Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1822 1823 [1824] 1825 1826 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863055 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27345 on: January 15, 2013, 07:40:03 pm »

Still waiting for the first sign of goblin ambushes in Oilfin. Work has started on prettying up the fort, such as building some more on the surface courtyard and smoothing the stone walls and putting up statues all over the place. An arena floored in obsidian and gold and furnished with gold and earthenware statues of various dwarf gods and dwarves (and some moon snails, apparently) has been built for future goblin prisoners to be dropped into from the military tower above.

There's definitely goblins, just no attacks yet. Some snatchers have been snatched in cage traps, one fool who thought he could slink past his caged buddy ate a load of ten glass spiked balls to the face; his blood, organs, and mutilated corpse were found splattered all over his friend and his cage.

Meanwhile, the military is getting restless. one fellow is unhappy, and as such I've sent the melee squads to intercept the useless elf caravan before they leave. The broker never got around to meeting them to seize their goods, so we'll just take them by force, and by force I mean swarming them with war dogs and angry hammerdwarves. It looks like Mr Sulky the Spearhead decided to skip out on the elf bashing, and being so heavily armored I doubt he can make it to the depot in time to join in the slaughter. He'll probably stay pissy then.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27346 on: January 16, 2013, 03:01:45 pm »

Lich180 withdraws from society...

Lich180 boots up Dwarf Fortress!

Lich180 finds a suitable project site and works furiously!

Well, so far I've managed to almost kill my starting party by not bringing enough booze to start, and denuded the surface of all plant life except grass to take care of temporary problems like beds, food, and booze.

The aquifer has been crushed beneath circular rings of dirt:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this all before the first caravan!

The temporary fort has been set up in the silty clay (reddish circle) to the right of the main hole. I plan on paving the surface of the hole in marble blocks, and erecting a lovely tower of marble over that. For lulz, I might use 4 different colored stone types (red, blue, yellow, green maybe) and make it look like a DNA strand.

Incedentally, I'll have to get Overseer working....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:04:37 pm by Lich180 »

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27347 on: January 16, 2013, 06:57:30 pm »

So, with my current fort, "Plungestandards", I've decided to try something which I tried before and didn't do very well at - making a fortress with clear glass as the primary building material. Needless to say, since I haven't yet breached magma, this is a rather tree-intensive prospect; my woodcutters have managed to rotate the deforesting so far such that I still have trees to cut down, but I'm going to have to dig down soon just to cut the amount of wood going into the process (so that I can devote more dwarves to glass and fewer to charcoal).

Nearing the end of the third year now, and have managed to survive one set of ambushes (three squads) and one siege (one squad). With no outer walls, because I don't have enough glass to spare for that whilst I'm still building the apartment complex. (Priorities? What are those? Can you make them out of glass?)

On the plus side, I do have a sizable, if under-equipped, military, mostly because I've been drafting any weapon-skilled migrants into the military and any less useful migrants into no-uniform wrestling squads to train basic combat techniques and stats. Don't know if it works yet, since one of my two high-achieving wrestlers (well, ok, they were still only a Novice but had good stats) got themselves killed in the siege.

So I still need to set up magma furnaces, armour all my military properly, build some sort of outer wall, expand my underground tree farm, finish the apartment complex, oh, and I may need to build the workshop area at some point too. And given the fact that goblins only tend to get more aggressive, I probably need to do all this in about six months or less.

Should be interesting...

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27348 on: January 16, 2013, 07:21:07 pm »

Oilfin is still awaiting a siege. Elven troops would be welcomed for some fightin' practice.

In other news, I've been looking at some of the earthenware statues my dorfs have produced.

"The item is a image of Luk, the deity of wisdom, scholarship, and writing, in earthenware by Rigoth Nethmeng. Luk looks confused."
"The item is a well-designed image of Led Vesselhauled the dwarf and Rete Scarbolt the Great Savior in earthenware by Rigoth Nethmeng. Rete Scarbolt the Great Savior is striking down Led Vesselhauled."

Also, a metalsmith got a mood. He made a gold right powerglove worth 888000 Urists...he was possessed.  ::) So close.

We have sunberries out the wazzoo thanks to fertilizer and several 4x4 plots growing nothing but sunberries all year. We've got more sun berries than plump helmets, even.

EDIT: Got a siege, it was a squad of goblin pikemen led by a gobbo hammerman on a giant toad. The bunch of wussies made it to the front gate, killed a few war dogs, then wandered onto the row of 3 cage traps followed afterwards by the 3 traps of 10 green glass enormous corkscrews each. After witnessing their glorious leader and his fat mount get skewered like pigs they turned tail and fled, without even nearing the melee squads. I'm disappointed, but at least the glass traps work well.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:15:27 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27349 on: January 16, 2013, 09:27:21 pm »

I noticed the lone marksdwarf getting a bit upset from long patrol duty, and sent him out to kill a porcupine. Just as he got close enough to shoot, he detected 2 elven crack suicide ambush squads, and was promptly set upon by 13 angry elves.

He suffered only a broken nose and some bruises after taking 2 elves out, and the rest of the militia joined up soon after.

I watched closely for injuries or deaths, but none were seen through the haze of battle.

Now there are elf parts all over the place, and I've got to get it cleaned up before a necromancer decides to visit.

(I expected them to at least do SOME damage, but I guess I greatly overestimated them. Bronze vs Wood, after all)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27350 on: January 17, 2013, 03:48:20 am »

Kumil Likotgerig had a lot of kids. They elected her mayor replacing the popular and reasonable Mebil. Her like of adamantine got her tossed into a spare store room to face our captive giant cave spider which she killed with a lucky punch to the cephalothorax. Citizens' armor certainly played part in her victory but she earned the adamantine statue in her room.
Her second mandate didn't go so well as the cyclops released during her testing of worth had somehow hidden a silver greataxe in his cage and lopped both her arms off and broke her ankle before the guards could chop things up.
She spent the next 36 years in traction since she can't hold a crutch (or shut up about it) then today she appears resting on a food stockpile in the prison two floors up from the hospital. No criminal record. Someones feeding her at least.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27351 on: January 17, 2013, 05:49:31 am »

I've been bitten by the modding bug. Oddly enough, this translates into me removing content, not adding more. I've started with Accelerated DF & Modest Mod and I've been chewing apart the raws to cut down as much needless duplication as I can. No twenty different gem cuts, no ten different wools, no million different leathers. One gem cut. One wool type. One leather type. Also removed a few types of redundant stone, etc. Looking foward to finishing and starting a new minimalist fortress.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #27352 on: January 17, 2013, 06:15:12 am »

I've been bitten by the modding bug. Oddly enough, this translates into me removing content, not adding more. I've started with Accelerated DF & Modest Mod and I've been chewing apart the raws to cut down as much needless duplication as I can. No twenty different gem cuts, no ten different wools, no million different leathers. One gem cut. One wool type. One leather type. Also removed a few types of redundant stone, etc. Looking foward to finishing and starting a new minimalist fortress.

That sounds a lot like Masterwork DF with most of the options disabled.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27353 on: January 17, 2013, 06:59:56 am »

Raptors instantly killed a wandering goose. Thankfully, this goose was on the wrong side of the river after it thawed, so they're unable to get to me.

Hurriedly deconstructed the wagon after I realised it sat on a frozen pond. Not fast enough, we got about half of the supplies inside before the water thawed and most of our items disappeared into the depths.

I drained the pond, floored over it, and because the wagon was where the pond is, my dwarves are meeting in the pond. :O

Anyway, I dug around, loving the FPS optimisation (150 / 30 FPS) and struck wolframite. Now, I am not sure, but isn't that a very good metal in Masterwork?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27354 on: January 17, 2013, 07:02:18 am »

I think that's the old name for tungsten so.... Maybe?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27355 on: January 17, 2013, 07:21:50 am »

Up to 160 dwarves on vjek's crappy dwarf challenge.

Lots of dead dwarves too.  Resorted to turtleing through a seige, due to a lack of properly trained military. The lack of surface life required me to tunnel down to the cavern layer to initiate spores. This means I have to wait for sporetrees to grow in the safe growing room.

A forgotten beast came, but I had already sealed the passage into the caverns. No issues. Ignored.

The goblin seigers stood around like idiots for a full year, since I installed a dry moat and drawbridge. Closed the bridge, no way in. (Put constructed floor tiles over the slopes on the inside walls of the dry moat, so there is no path to the inside where the fortress is unless the bridge is down.)

The caravan came during the seige.....the trade liason didn't last long. :D several migrant waves also got mangled by the siegers.

Lots of slabs set up to keep the ghosts away.

Major industrial scale fabric and clothing production is underway.  Bought lots of silk (since I can't safely send dwarves into the caverns for webs yet) yarn (only 2 alpacas, and 2 sheep. Establishing pasturage on a desert embark isn't easy yo.) And leather (turkeys and guinea fowl need a few more hatchings before assembly lined leather and yummy roasts get underway.)

Due to the scarcity of wood on this embark, I intend to make bone bolts for sentry turrent garrisons, and for target practice.  The turkey and guinea fowl will supply all the bones I could ever want shortly. 

The lack of convenient magma or coal has me resorting to making charcoal from preciously scarce wood.

Built a humongous growing room for subterene plantlife that covers the whole embark. Hopefully that will keep me supplied with the wood I will need for the metalwork industries.

Fabric production is currently the major moneymaker. Expect radical amounts of leathercraft goods in the near future.

Mayor complains his office isn't nice enough yet.... will have to work on that. Dwarves need beds.

(Year later)
Traded all the xclothingx items for as much wood as the caravan could carry. No seige this year. Military trains with substandard equipment. Still not ready for primtime. Beds and bins are being assembly lined.  Maybe the residential district can be finished now...

Psuedonym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27356 on: January 17, 2013, 08:57:01 am »

Just embarked. Scouting map. Notice three alligators in the river... right next to my caravan. This could be fun.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27357 on: January 17, 2013, 11:10:12 am »

Working on generating a world with ~100 titans, ~100 semi-megabeasts, ~100 forgotten beasts, and seeing how many will actually show up, and how quickly, and concurrency limits.

Got the enemy generation pretty much set, now just need to test some progression/timelines for arrival.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27358 on: January 17, 2013, 01:17:24 pm »

I think that's the old name for tungsten so.... Maybe?
Yes that is the old name for tungsten that is why it has "W" as its chemical symbol.
It has a very high density (close to gold and uranium) so it makes good blunt weapons.
I think is also makes good armor pieces like breastplates because it is quite hard but it is very heavy so it will slow your dwarves down.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27359 on: January 17, 2013, 01:28:33 pm »

Reclaiming a fort lost to a dragon followed by a goblin siege.
I was hit by the bug where reclaiming with invaders on the map turned them friendly.
Was worried about how to get rid of them until they started dismantling ambushes, then I decided to keep them until I could get my military set up.
A goblin siege arrived before my military was prepared. This turned the friendly goblins and trolls hostile.
My military of 9 dorfs decided to forgo weapons and try to fight unarmed. My military has so far lost 15 dorfs. No I didn't do the math wrong, I started a draft.
Now I'm down to a population of 78 from a high of 112.
And I've still got 4 hostile trolls in my fort braining anyone that walks by.

So all in all, a fairly average day in a game of Dwarf Fortress.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.
Pages: 1 ... 1822 1823 [1824] 1825 1826 ... 3836