Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1851 1852 [1853] 1854 1855 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864499 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27780 on: February 12, 2013, 12:28:34 am »

My fortress has survived a few consecutive years without a hiccup. YAY! That obsidian monolith works like a charm.

In other news:
I'm finally developing my main fortress. Got a farmland on one end of the valley, and my main fortress being built around and on top of the centerpiece of a volcano. It's been slow development, but thanks to that cutting edge (mind the pun), I can take my time. I just about finished a decoy station so I can finally get some freaking wagons in, but still be decisive of whether or not I want to invite them into my land; depending on of they had followers.

I have yet to get any brave kobolds or gobbos to sneak in. Although I'll admit, I have dogs keeping an eye on all corners of the divide. So sneaking is almost impossible now. So proof of concept of this  perimeter non-[INVADERS:OFF] system works. Going to test out decoy stations using this system to see if impassibles can still attract and allow for wagons, on your call. Decoy will be left for the elves. I no longer have a use for them.

Additionally, the great divide has made a significant quarry for my construction project so far, as well as a trade resource. But I finally got to work on the real gem of this embark; the very fortress itself:

Of course, with a few adjustments. However, some elements will remain; like it's main method of dealing with sieges. The drop-bridge apparent-catapult.

END RESULT:
Exactly as you'd expect: Deeper down the line, the worse the injuries sustained (especially if you're also being shot at by my troops by the 7th bridge and front door, where the valley is the deepest). Mostly knockouts on stronger guys, and weaker units getting compound fractures on their extremities, mostly; with the occasional inoperable lung or pancreas for the next few cycles. Got the rare kill with a pulverized skull from one landing on their head or snapping their spine in half on impact. I intend to secure beneath the bridge with a trap gauntlet, as well as a mini-arena for my troops to train in, provided any survivors, instead of turning the place below into a slum. Happy surviving! And that's without my military defense established. Imagine how much worse it could get once you have bolts flying your way, a minecart torpedo (Dwarven Skee-Ball or Bowling) alley making use of the bridge length to make the most of it. And since I can contain the threat, they have nowhere to go but off; be it, by bolt, a full-speed trio of minecarts (rollers powering from above), or boredom, and I plunge you down into the deep valley where my rookie teams will continue their training with the softened training dummies.

Only Achilles's Heel to this is that it doesn't work so well with flying creatures. Not to mention, I intend to build the main fort on top of this bridge somewhere along the line; maybe 2-Z from bridge-level.

ADDENDUM:
I'm loving some of the other plugins in DFHack, especially the rename function in regards to the lever system I'm using to operate my security systems. I know which one is which, besides positional references.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:26:04 am by Itnetlolor »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27781 on: February 12, 2013, 12:52:46 am »

The parasprites came.  All of my food is outside.  The masterwork sandwiches are now gone.  The cook is miserable, and all bets are off.

Fortunately, she hasn't killed anyone yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27782 on: February 12, 2013, 03:39:01 am »

I been..... savescumming the new undead and goblin siege to run a series of "natural" tests.

1. A series of 4 tests show that silver appears to be quite effective against unarmoured foes. They are sharp enough to cut through tendons, ligaments, inflict sensory and nerve damage, while being heavy enough to cause bruising and fracturing damage. It would be interesting to test whether "weak" dwarves would be unable to effectively cause fracture damage wielding a heavy sword, similarly, this was a two handed weapon as opposed to a short sword.

Against the undead, this offers some benefits because silver is not sharp enough to cause loss of limbs. Everytime the sword was wielded against a limb larger than a finger, it fails to cut off the limb, something that might be interesting to an evil territory.

2. Fighting against the undead requires quite a lot of luck. In 5 total runs, I had two goblin victory and 3 undead victories. Part of this is due to my dodge bridge, which scattered and delayed reinforcements. Once you're unable to maintain a strong shield wall, you become too vulnerable to lucky hits which will eventually take you down due to numbers. Similarly, lucky hits can be fatal..... fracturing limbs and the like or it could deal nothing more than bruising damage.
Another mechanic is how sieges are conducted. If an entire group  become combat ineffective , it seems to causes goblins to abandon their invasion. I'm not sure how to parse this with previous experience, where goblins show a bit more mettle but the key appears to be taking out their leaders. If a leader still remains alive even after his force was wiped out, the goblin did not retreat unless more significant losses were inflicted. Needless to says, goblins in retreat are more vulnerable to defeat, although their speed means corpses are unlikely to kill them.
Necromancers are more....... problematic. From previous experience against necromancers, they don't flee easily. However, against a goblin enemy, they actually fled without getting into combat. I tried this multiple times, and there was only one single occasion when the necromancers hanged around to revive multiple corpses, and even then, they still fled.
However, this result is biased and more likely due to my dwarves wailing away on their meatshields prior to contact being made with the goblins. So, too near the threshold.
Will conduct a new natural observation if possible, to see how goblin sieges match up against necromancers.

3. I failed to save the pic, but one time, the goblin swordsmaster died due to an iron pike being stuck inside him.... I'm not sure whether this was due to undead animation or due to some other weird scenario, perhaps him falling into the river and getting stuck on the pike.......

4.The undead corpses that are brought are imba strong. They tossed my plated dwarves around one tile or so and the funny thing is watching multiple goblins charge dwarf corpses and seeing them bounce off. No idea if this is due to variables such as size, since I didn't generate enough combat to observe goblin charging at goblin corpses. Similarly, undead goblins/dwarves charging at gobbos are highly effective.... Without a fellow goblin to provide a backstop, a charge invariably causes a goblin to be hurt and get dragged down by the mob.

Outside of that first epic goblin battle, the goblins failed to fare better..... It will be interesting to observe how undead will fare against a ranged heavy enemy, as the existence of just one elite bowgoblin was sufficient to prevent the undead from mobbing them(albeit, without necromancers resurrecting them. Bitter experience with a necromancer ambush shows that ambushes are extremely deadly in this regard as they mass resurrect a dead goblin party all around you.) Other considerations should be the existence of mounts.... increasing the mobility of goblins and their endurance, not to mention a more effective protection due to multiple creatures in the same spot..... Unfortunately, that will require genning a new world since the current general has fled into oblivion in my current world.Trolls however are actually MORE ineffective against corpses than armed goblins.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:46:32 am by PainRack »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27783 on: February 12, 2013, 08:17:20 am »

Needs more !!elves!!.
fixed that for you

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27784 on: February 12, 2013, 10:44:33 am »

OK, my game sure likes bugging the fuck out of me.

Not only did I just had a forgotten beast appearing IN HELL !!!, but I just flooded my normally completely dry caverns with water (and half of hell as well) and the game generated pond grabbers. It's been at least four years since I haven't had any wild animal in the caverns, never mind pond grabbers who shouldn't even generate in a cavern with no water.

also a year ago I raised my population limit from 80 to 90. Since then, i've had a dozen migrants, but more importantly two megabeasts and two forgotten beasts, which I had not seen at all since the first stabilization of my pop three or four years ago.

This raises quite a lot of questions.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27785 on: February 12, 2013, 04:11:26 pm »

Should be doing homework, but since I'm at an impasse of what to write for the assignment, and wisely looking for inspiration in Dwarf Fortress.

The spring elven caravan melted just like last years, after I traded for what I wanted and the stuff was moved away.

The humans brought nothing of use, and just for evulz I decided to test my new power train. Linked each pumps' power gear to a lever, so they disconnect and don't all function at once when the main switch is thrown on. Also sealed in the walkway, and added a few retractable bridges over the access ramps into the fort. If invaders DO manage to get onto the walkway, I can just pull the lever, flood that level with liquid hot magma, and laugh as they burn to death without risking the whole fort.

The humans melted in a similar fashion to the elves, but with more animals and guards and such melting and smoke generating. Thankfully the whole thing is sealed in green glass, so its not like anyone is going to see what happens in there. Hah.

Still trying to write this assignment, too.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27786 on: February 12, 2013, 04:24:35 pm »

I am currently attempting to build a maze that I plan to lock invaders in. It will be pretty big.
Unf.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27787 on: February 12, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »

I am currently attempting to build a maze that I plan to lock invaders in. It will be pretty big.

Could be fun if you could put this in a succession story for the next release ^^ (with some artifacts hidden in it !)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27788 on: February 12, 2013, 05:06:07 pm »

OK, my game sure likes bugging the fuck out of me.

Not only did I just had a forgotten beast appearing IN HELL !!!, but I just flooded my normally completely dry caverns with water (and half of hell as well) and the game generated pond grabbers. It's been at least four years since I haven't had any wild animal in the caverns, never mind pond grabbers who shouldn't even generate in a cavern with no water.

also a year ago I raised my population limit from 80 to 90. Since then, i've had a dozen migrants, but more importantly two megabeasts and two forgotten beasts, which I had not seen at all since the first stabilization of my pop three or four years ago.

This raises quite a lot of questions.

Dwarven science time. Does water in caverns = water-cavern creatures?

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #27789 on: February 12, 2013, 11:10:46 pm »

Well i learned an interesting lesson about undead sieges. They come VERY early.

My most recent fort had 17 dwarves in it, i'd just dug the perimeter trench, ensuring safety from indiginous animals and most thieves, i was finishing up my main stockpile and farms and was about to start on my workshops and quarters in the stone z-levels, I was a few minutes away from connecting the only bridge over the quickly filing moat when it happened. "The Dead Walk!"

I start freaking out and order the deconstruction of the only bridge connection my plot of land to the outside world, I sit sweating as i wait for the job to come up, someone to act finally a woodcutter gets the job and starts moving, but he's too slow and then they're on the bridge. 5 zombies, 4 goblins and one human.

I figure i'll go standard measures; bum rush with my miners. The brave bearded fellows charge into battle only to be brutally slaughtered along with my entire war cavy herd ( i modded it merely for the lulz, but the distractions provided have been wonderful a number of times.) including 12 pups.

I realize it is hopeless but decide to fight on, drafting all but two of my dwarves, one a farmer with truly terrible attributes and another who was a child. 15 dwarves died within five minutes. Beaten to death by the zombies. As soon as i am sure i won't be able to kill the shambling corpses i decide to lock my survivors in the only place they have a chance of surviving in; the temporary stockpile. The farmer is quickly reassigned as a carpenter and begins building doors that i'd made earlier and which were sitting in the stockpile awaiting a placement. It's a race against time but i dug the main entrance hall into a long winding path for an eventuality such as the breach of my outer defences, and she finishes in time, locking the doors and huddling in the safety provided along with a Llama, cat, and the surviving child.

The stockpile has around a hundred units of lavish meals and a similar number of drinks, courtesy of a kitchen i always set up early on. Now i'm watching the 3 zombies that weren't caught in the river wander my halls and the corpses of the various animals and beards slowly start to rot.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:17:10 pm by Shininglight »
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27790 on: February 13, 2013, 12:17:18 am »

Another swarm of keas decided it would be funny to raid my fort. After one of them decided to snatch a recent artifact that was created, IT. WAS. ON. I established the beginnings of my military, starting with conscripting a couple marksdwarves, and making use of bolts we either bought, or salvaged from the merchants (mostly silver bolts, which are crazy-effective). Make matters better, the kea that took the artifact ring didn't realize how heavy it was, and was slowed down sufficiently enough for my conscription to complete, and have my hunting party track it down, and shoot it out of the sky when it got in range (Stonesense really helped in tracking it). Fortunately, it finally got shot down, and the ring salvaged and stored in a much safer place, along with the other artifacts. Even better, no bolts were lost or destroyed in the process of hunting.

Not much more progress past that, really, besides nearly buying out the merchants (sans wagons) with a buttload of wooden spiked balls and lavish meals. I finally got my decoy depot setup, and am rigging the trappings for invading parties. Surprisingly, despite a few of those trap components (masterwork) being nabbed by a couple keas, the guy who made them is feeling fine. In fact, everyone in my fort is doing rather fine lately. And only one falls down into the red a few times at a time, but he's a depressing fellow anyway.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27791 on: February 13, 2013, 06:31:46 am »

I decided to abandon my last fortress, because my military was acting strange.
They refused to train on the archery range. All they did was standing around when training was scheduled.
Everyone had training bolts, quivers and crossbows, and the archery targets were set up as usually.

Also, one of my miners who had an accident was 5 years in traction, without any further traction scheduled.

So - after work I start the next, better, bigger and dorfier fortress.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27792 on: February 13, 2013, 08:26:43 am »

After having toyed around a bit in adventurer mode, I decided to give fortress mode another go.

Going pretty well so far, I've been busy setting up a workshop area and storage, and was just about to start working on dining area and sleeping quarters when I noticed that every task suddenly took forever to do. Between summer and autumn, effectivity in the fortress had gone down by 50%. Some investigation revealed that my dwarves spent an unproportionate amount of time drinking. I also realized that the reason for this was due to a combination of the fact that I'd run out of booze and that the only viable water source was a long distance away (pretty big embark since I wanted both trees, mountains and a brook on the same map, and it just wouldn't fit otherwise, fortress and brook are in opposite corners), so running there, drinking and getting back took forever.

So, I decided to postpone other operations and instead started to construct a channel for a well (which I'd initially planned for later). Wasted some time digging a path from my fortress to the brook (should've just channeled down directly by the brook instead...), and then started channeling downwards about 5 z-levels. I made a mistake with my previous fortress where I had the reservoir only 1 z-level beneath my dining hall (where the well was located), which caused some flooding... not going to make that mistake again!

All went well, until I realized that one of my miners was thirsty. Ignored it for the moment (stupid) since I thought he was just being a good dwarf, focusing on his ongoing work instead of drinking (slacking). Again, given what I've previously experienced from dwarves and their OCD concerning drinking, eating, sleeping etc, this was stupid of me. Very much so.

It was only when he got dehydrated and hungry I realized something was wrong. I canceled his jobs, but he still loitered around down in the tunnel, starving and dehydrating. Only then did I notice that one of the ramps up had, somehow, become blocked. So now it's a race against time to dig some stairs for him to escape by (not to mention the fact that he has to make it all the way to the brook as well, and my guess is that he'll probably stop to eat first, which will likely kill him). Or I could just crack the last bit of wall between the channel and the brook, I think his chances of survival are the same no matter what. At least with the second option nobody can blame me, since he didn't die from neglect (I mean, I'd give him what he wants, right?).

Though I'd really hate to loose this guy, I have rooms that needs to be dug out!
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #27793 on: February 13, 2013, 08:46:02 am »

I am attempting to create a fort where a horde of filthy peons toil to fill minecarts with various resources. These carts supply a mighty castle of noble lords who train their martial and artistic skills to perfection in a luxury of equipment and furniture. If a vampire migrates, its blood will be used to turn the nobles into vampiric tyrants to boost their authority. Construction of the castle and cart system is in progress, the only thing to figure out is keeping the peons out at all times (beyond burrows). Letting the busy, automated, high-speed minecart track be the only remaining physical connection would provide either security or hilarity, I'm sure.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27794 on: February 13, 2013, 12:47:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note to self, Zombie Kobolds can pick locks.
Still cleaning up the mess over 28 days later. Some Dwarves are getting unhappy, they're off duty for now whilst the others keep the dead down.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I noticed at some point one of my Dwarves had the precision and a blade sharp enough to cut a camel's nose hair off.

Silentthunders forges! BEST IN THE WORLD!
Pages: 1 ... 1851 1852 [1853] 1854 1855 ... 3836