Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1852 1853 [1854] 1855 1856 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856442 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27795 on: February 13, 2013, 02:04:06 pm »

Well this is a first. Its only 5 or so years into this fort, and suddenly, in the midst of the yearly negotiations with the Mountainhome diplomat, I get the message that he has left, unhappy.

I check my announcements and see this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First one of those I've ever seen.

Oh, I should mention... most of the milita REALLY REALLY liked this guy, and almost all of them are quite sad at his passing. Equipped with the best steel stuff we could craft, training relentlessly to ward off any enemy aggression... and everyone has been crammed into a tiny meeting zone while construction of the underground fort progressed...

Lets hope someone tantrums, I want something cool to happen.

EDIT: Oh damn it, someone killed a rat in the coinstar, and someone else's retarded kid decided he wanted a bit of training too. The rat remains hit the kid in the head, jamming his skull through his brain and killing him, and THEN his corpse decided to hit another kid in the head, jamming inside that kid's skull. Now everyone is miserable, and trying to tantrum!

POST EDIT: Of course, the ONE guy who is content in all this chaos is the one who gets a mood, damn it. Someone broke a grate over the magma reservoir, and a sworddwarf either jumped in or fell.

And this lady just went berserk
. One of the miners who was given a masterwork set of steel equipment, and had her lower spine broken by the corpse of a child. Now she is crawling around, killing anyone in her way. She was beaten down in the food stockpile by speardwarves, who had to sever her limbs and make her bleed out. They tried the headshots, but were foiled by the steel helms
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:47:15 pm by Lich180 »

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27796 on: February 13, 2013, 02:52:29 pm »

Two hundred corpses, 16 violent ghosts, no caskets, no food or drink, a billion ba jillion tallow (FUCK YOU TALLOW, I NORMALLY NEVER HAVE YOU NOW I HAVE TOO MUCH), 15 dwarves, all sad, thirsty, and hungry.

None can use the farms because they're too busy making coffins and putting stuff back from when I failed.

Coffin making takes about as long as pulling nails out of your skull, as in it never happens because they die before they ever finish.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #27797 on: February 13, 2013, 05:25:55 pm »

After the food started running low and an entire season had passed without any migrants I gave up and abandoned in order to reclaim with a military force.

2 battle miners, 2 axedorfs and 2 marksdorfs. The odd man out was a farmer to keep the others alive after clearing out the fort. Anyways i move in, and kill 2 of the zombies. I know one of them is still in ambush but i figure ill have time to deal with it if he pops up. I was wrong. He pops up after i star cleaning up and kills an axedorf who was working on cutting a tree. I send the 2 marksdorfs who despite their full quivers, decide to run up and bash the zombie with predictable results. The zombie kills one more miner dorf before i finally kill it clearing out my fort finally. But wait, it's not over. Within two weeks the woodcutter and remaining miner go melancholy and wander around starving. The expedition leader/farmer holds on a little longer. Long enough for 4 new migrants to arrive before she goes all depressed as well. Now i have a farmers, A stoneworker, A fisherman, And a smith. No miners. So the stone levels will have to wait for  quite a bit longer before i can dig them out and set up my workshops, burial chambers, and bed rooms.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27798 on: February 13, 2013, 09:22:35 pm »

I decided to abandon my last fortress, because my military was acting strange.
They refused to train on the archery range. All they did was standing around when training was scheduled.
Everyone had training bolts, quivers and crossbows, and the archery targets were set up as usually.

Also, one of my miners who had an accident was 5 years in traction, without any further traction scheduled.

So - after work I start the next, better, bigger and dorfier fortress.

Next time set them to inactive rather than active/training. Inactive for shooting ranges, active for beating each other up with crossbows
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27799 on: February 13, 2013, 11:17:26 pm »

I have pulled a sword from a curious structure and successfully trapped the entire clown bumrush.  I am now forced to answer a question I never thought to ask before: what do I do with a 100 clown assortment.  No webbers, no spitters, a few with dragonfire like breath attacks and some with syndromes but mostly poisons bites or stings.  I can always have the SMR take care of them but that seems undwarfy.  About the only use I have found for some of them is an incinerator,  6 clowns have ambient temperatures comparable to magma and when I piled them together they managed to melt or vaporize everything but candy.

Oh and the human diplomat decided to try and leave through the curious structure, was caged and went mad.  I am torn between hoping that the humans start attacking and hoping that they will decide my trade is more important. 
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27800 on: February 14, 2013, 09:18:22 am »

Well, we are finally down to 10 dwarves. I probably could have done more to prevent deaths, but I really wanted a fell mood out of this. Sadly, the only mood I got was a stonecrafter, who managed to survive all the crap since he made an artifact. At the moment, the only person content is the remaining speardwarf, who had to put down 7 berserk dwarves (one of whom was his squadmate, and gave one hell of a fight) and as a result is quite hardened.

Everyone else is still miserable, and I'm waiting to see exactly how they play out. I have a backup save from before the spiral, so I can savescum if I want to, and not feel too guilty over it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27801 on: February 14, 2013, 10:48:50 am »

Wait, what?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27802 on: February 14, 2013, 11:16:59 am »

Alcohol abuse!

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27803 on: February 14, 2013, 02:31:04 pm »

So, I got my brother into DF a while back, and he's been playing through various forts until they are inevitably destroyed by goblins or forgotten beasts. After his previous fortress was destroyed by Spider Pig, (Yup, a web-shooting pig killed his vampire mayor who was the only person alive because he kept eating the migrants.) he began a relatively successful one. But as we were watching some construction, we get the message "Urist McChild has suffocated!" We go look, and sure enough there's a dead child in the middle of an intersection. There's nobody around, and no enemies in the fortress. I have my brother check the combat logs, and all we can find is the message "The spinning firefly remains strikes UristMcChild in the spine! A major nerve has been severed! etc. etc. After the for fell, we even checked in Legends, to no avail. The kid has "...was killed by with a Firefly remains in 138."

Who was such a crack shot with a dead insect? It shall forever remain a mystery.

Meanwhile, in my own latest fort, I am suffering from a Berserk Spiral. Not a tantrum spiral. Oh, no, that would be too easy! I don't know why - maybe it's the evil region I embarked in causing the DF version of the Shining, or maybe it's just the wrath of the RNG - but out of about thirty insanities, four have not been berserk. The rest (mostly wielding axes for unknown reasons) have carved the hell out of the rest of the population, leading to miserable dwarves, which in turn go insane and do their best to murder everybody.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

TheSharkable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27804 on: February 14, 2013, 05:44:10 pm »

Dug down into the caverns on a sandy desert because I needed logs, didn't seal off the caverns since my woodcutter was also an axedwarf and I thought he could handle anything deadly. Big mistake, a cave crocodile kills her (though not without taking damage) and runs off and murders several other unlucky dwarves. With my only member of the military down, I draft everyone in the fortress to kill it expecting them to do very much and set off to abandon the whole thing- but then the crocodile wanders into my main area and promptly collapses. Then there's about 50 pages of reports of everyone in the fortress punching and kicking the thing without any apparent effect and since no one in my fort has any of the brainpower to pick up the axe from downstairs. All the attacks started getting hungry and thirsty so I think fuck it; missing both of it's eyes it can't be that dangerous- live and let live I say. It staggers up and starts annoying people fishing when my exhibition commander strolls in casual as anything and kills the damn thing with one stroke to the brain with the axe. The stupid dwarf wanted to wait until he was the only one there to kill the croc to get all the glory apparently. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27805 on: February 14, 2013, 05:51:12 pm »

Dug down into the caverns on a sandy desert because I needed logs, didn't seal off the caverns since my woodcutter was also an axedwarf and I thought he could handle anything deadly. Big mistake, a cave crocodile kills her (though not without taking damage) and runs off and murders several other unlucky dwarves. With my only member of the military down, I draft everyone in the fortress to kill it expecting them to do very much and set off to abandon the whole thing- but then the crocodile wanders into my main area and promptly collapses. Then there's about 50 pages of reports of everyone in the fortress punching and kicking the thing without any apparent effect and since no one in my fort has any of the brainpower to pick up the axe from downstairs. All the attacks started getting hungry and thirsty so I think fuck it; missing both of it's eyes it can't be that dangerous- live and let live I say. It staggers up and starts annoying people fishing when my exhibition commander strolls in casual as anything and kills the damn thing with one stroke to the brain with the axe. The stupid dwarf wanted to wait until he was the only one there to kill the croc to get all the glory apparently.
It's the exhibition commander, would you expect any less than a show?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27806 on: February 14, 2013, 06:02:26 pm »

Zing!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27807 on: February 14, 2013, 07:15:19 pm »

Alath Bridgeclans Paintexits just got a fey mood in Silentthunders. She's two years old. This will be interesting. She worships a deity of the Coincidental Portals called Dakas.
Moar.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27808 on: February 15, 2013, 04:48:41 am »

Stillhalls is actually doing rather nicely, especially considering the site has no iron nor coal or lignite. The food and drink stockpiles are overflowing, basic industries are working nicely, the dwarves love the newly decorated dining hall and the military is just starting to train with their silver warhammers and copper armor.

A while back we had a bit of a scare, a werelizard jumped out of the bushes by the river and kicked a fisherdwarf in the back of the head so hard he fell unconscious into the river and drowned. Fortunately everyone else made it behind the gates in time and then the monster just chased cattle around for a while until it transformed a scraggly old hippie and ran away.

I’m particularly pleased with the Mountainheart Gate, which is basically a smaller version of the Bridge of Khazad-dûm with added positions for marksdwarves and loads of traps. When that is finished I can start to explore the caverns and delve for magma, overconfident and careless with the knowledge that the critical areas of the fortress are safe.

Edit: I just took time to view the engravings of in the dining hall. Most seem to depict "Fotthor the Moist Autumn, the deity of freedom, the rain and trees, depicted as a female chipmunk". If that isn't a sign of corrupting Elven influence I don't know what is...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:40:14 pm by Myrkky100 »
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

Khanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27809 on: February 15, 2013, 11:40:14 am »

While generating worlds on my netbook to try and find an island to play around on (netbook can't handle much), I generated a world with 61 dwarves remaining on the losing end of a genocide by the elves (still at war).

I couldn't find an island but I couldn't NOT take up this challenge to save dwarf kind from the evils of the elves.

We shall survive.

Side note: only two females on embark. I pity them.
Pages: 1 ... 1852 1853 [1854] 1855 1856 ... 3836