Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1856 1857 [1858] 1859 1860 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5847265 times)

barbequedcinders

• Bay Watcher
  • "The game is done! I've won! I've won!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27855 on: February 18, 2013, 07:43:39 pm »

Over in my fort today, the military had a field day. This is the log that resulted:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I laughed for about 5 minutes straight after reading this log.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27856 on: February 18, 2013, 07:45:45 pm »

I've set up a trap for the wandering herds of elephants in the area, a cross with cage traps at the ends and middle. So far I've caught an armadillo sow (those things weird me out, growing up in Texas can be terrifying :P) and a breeding pair of elephants.

A dwarf has been selected from the recent, huge migrant waves to train the beasts and try to tame them for our creative use.

(I did change their raws to be able to feed themselves, but still need food. Can't stand having a useful animal go to waste, especially one so magnificent as an oliphaunt!)

pfohric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27857 on: February 19, 2013, 02:23:50 am »

In an attempt to start a war with the wretched humans, I built a trade depot on a platform supported over a deep pit.  The caravan came, I pulled the lever, and down they all went.  My militia butchered the crippled survivors, my workers claimed the loot, and all was well.

Except the wagons.  They continue to hover in mid-air where the depot used to be.  The merchants, the pack animals and the wagons are all just floating in empty space.  I'm in the process of building a new floor under them so my militia can go murder them, but it's kind of freaky.

Langolier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27858 on: February 19, 2013, 07:54:03 am »

Managed to go three years with not a single casualty. Then a Forgotten Beast showed up. My legendary miner killed the thing, but then started rotting thanks to the dang derned dust. I used to think he was falling in love but now he's only falling apart. It's getting kind of weird. Total eclipse of the beard.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27859 on: February 19, 2013, 09:13:44 am »

...I used to think he was falling in love but now he's only falling apart...
Isn't that the same? :P

A.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27860 on: February 19, 2013, 09:58:59 am »

FINALLY finished the tidying in my reclaimed fortress.  It took almost a year.  It got to the point where my dwarves were on the verge of starvation, being unwilling to plant seeds, or deal with merchants.  Thankfully, I was able to load up the trade depot and bought out every consumable brought by the elves.  My dwarves are now digging again, and burying the dead.  I need a safe room for the inevitable invasions.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27861 on: February 19, 2013, 10:00:02 am »

<cleaned--sorry, double post>
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:02:50 am by Knick »
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Pluto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27862 on: February 19, 2013, 12:07:22 pm »

Started a modded game of dwarf fortress. Legends of the Forlorn Realms and Fortress Defense.

26 hostile civs nearby. Terrifying biome.

First 2 minutes my farmer gets eaten by alligators.

Another few later, alligators are fighting with undead panda men.

Another few minutes after that, I realize that nothing in the area can die. All corpses rise as new undead. Yep, even the smashed undead rise again as new undead. Whelp.

Good lord. My ex-swordsdwarf and my ex-farmer are chasing my dwarves, too.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27863 on: February 19, 2013, 02:36:09 pm »

Well, I think I just had about the least successful were-creature ever.  A were-chameleon appears and does battle with a Axolotl Woman at the bottom of a lake. I send my military, but before they can reach him, he transforms back into a human and drowns. RIP Naspa Gidoted, you were entertaining in your thirty seconds of fame.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27864 on: February 19, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »

The short of it is, minecart tracks I had been working on for hours finally started working, a zombie dragon escaped my hall of traps and destroyed a goblin siege, a child ghost is haunting a woodcutter, a three-year-old finished building an awesome coffin made of tiger bone and a kobold thief's right hand came back to life and is scaring the crap out of everybody. This is the best game ever.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27865 on: February 19, 2013, 09:23:34 pm »

A tantrum spiral is occuring in a totally safe and lovely fortress. We have a volcano. We have adamantine. We have engravings and masterwork statues. The nobles are appeased. The hammerer is safely decked out with an adamantine hammer. Why does the whole city have to fall apart just because one dwarf killed himself?

(Seriously. First death after 11 years of total bliss and mega-construction, and within a month everyone is miserable. Would love a way to curb pointless spirals.)
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #27866 on: February 19, 2013, 09:30:24 pm »

A tantrum spiral is occuring in a totally safe and lovely fortress. We have a volcano. We have adamantine. We have engravings and masterwork statues. The nobles are appeased. The hammerer is safely decked out with an adamantine hammer. Why does the whole city have to fall apart just because one dwarf killed himself?

(Seriously. First death after 11 years of total bliss and mega-construction, and within a month everyone is miserable. Would love a way to curb pointless spirals.)
He was really, really popular.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27867 on: February 19, 2013, 09:53:59 pm »

More than 100 dwarves are dead. And just now, a child loosed a roaring laughter, fell and terrible. Loving every minute of it.

The true enemy lies within. We are all insane.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27868 on: February 19, 2013, 10:04:32 pm »

So that one guy...  :D You must have modded in polygamy, and maybe same-gender-marriage, by accident or on purpose.  :P
And at every party he found someone to  :-* up to.  :P
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27869 on: February 19, 2013, 10:21:01 pm »

You're lucky to have that mood. My last tantrum spiral only resulted in a fey mood.
Pages: 1 ... 1856 1857 [1858] 1859 1860 ... 3836