Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1857 1858 [1859] 1860 1861 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5845671 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27870 on: February 19, 2013, 11:59:41 pm »

My current fort, actually called an Outpost by the status screen  :o, Glowedwhip, is in it's third year. And I finally broke through the aquifer. My first successful time through one of those, after multiple attempts on multiple fortresses.  :P
My population is at 103, including the 29 children. Over the three years, I lost all of 4 dwarves so far, all of failed moods. Dammit, I don't have rough gems or stone or metal bars for your insane creations!! Or, I didn't...  :D
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27871 on: February 20, 2013, 12:39:51 am »

I currently have a massive supply (over 400 units!) of tallow, so I'm going to make soap. The noteworthy thing is that all this tallow comes from a type of clown. "Demon soap, for that sinfully clean feeling."
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27872 on: February 20, 2013, 03:15:37 am »

I'm just finishing up my defenses (bridge flanked by towers at the entrance, towers are connected to fortified and walkable walls forming a courtyard ending in another bridge, complete with 2-tile wide moats outside each wall), and everyone is in a pretty good mood. That is, until recently.

I had put my military to patrol outside the walls since most thieves/snatchers got away before they could catch them (seriously, they move 2x faster than my dwarves, not fair), and it worked wonders. However, it didn't work as well against ambushes, since, for some reason, my squad-members preferred to wander alone with quite some distance between them rather than moving in formation. Great for finding snatchers/thieves, but when you run into an ambush alone... well, let's just say I learned this the hard way. Lost a grand master marksdwarf, and as if that didn't hurt enough, he was apparently a guy with many friends in the squads, so they got quite grumpy.

Add to that the fact that many of my dwarves are wearing pretty worn clothing (I'm replacing it as fast as I can, but tailoring new outfits for 200 dwarves take time), and the military especially so since, due to their duties, they're never in position to grab the new clothes that comes out before someone else does (Yes, Urist McPeasant, I'm looking at you, you good-for-nothing fashionista). And I'm also trying to get them used to the sun, which they do not like.

Anyway, end result is unhappy, well-armed and well-trained dwarves. Not a good combination. I don't relish the thought of seeing how my completely untrained fortress guards fare against one of the soldiers should they choose to tantrum...

Oh, and I also got a baron recently. He went full-out tantrum. His sole complaint being that someone had a bigger dining room. The fact that all his other amenities had "Royal" status apparently wasn't enough to weigh this up.

Bloody nobles...
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #27873 on: February 20, 2013, 11:55:51 am »

I'm just finishing up my defenses (bridge flanked by towers at the entrance, towers are connected to fortified and walkable walls forming a courtyard ending in another bridge, complete with 2-tile wide moats outside each wall), and everyone is in a pretty good mood. That is, until recently.

I had put my military to patrol outside the walls since most thieves/snatchers got away before they could catch them (seriously, they move 2x faster than my dwarves, not fair), and it worked wonders. However, it didn't work as well against ambushes, since, for some reason, my squad-members preferred to wander alone with quite some distance between them rather than moving in formation. Great for finding snatchers/thieves, but when you run into an ambush alone... well, let's just say I learned this the hard way. Lost a grand master marksdwarf, and as if that didn't hurt enough, he was apparently a guy with many friends in the squads, so they got quite grumpy.

Add to that the fact that many of my dwarves are wearing pretty worn clothing (I'm replacing it as fast as I can, but tailoring new outfits for 200 dwarves take time), and the military especially so since, due to their duties, they're never in position to grab the new clothes that comes out before someone else does (Yes, Urist McPeasant, I'm looking at you, you good-for-nothing fashionista). And I'm also trying to get them used to the sun, which they do not like.

Anyway, end result is unhappy, well-armed and well-trained dwarves. Not a good combination. I don't relish the thought of seeing how my completely untrained fortress guards fare against one of the soldiers should they choose to tantrum...

Oh, and I also got a baron recently. He went full-out tantrum. His sole complaint being that someone had a bigger dining room. The fact that all his other amenities had "Royal" status apparently wasn't enough to weigh this up.

Bloody nobles...

ya i recently had a seige and all of my workers when out and got themselves Killed!!  i had 242 dwarfs now i have 129 and half of them are Children!!!

my fortress is now suffering a insanity spell and all of my dwarfs are to depressed to work so i have ghosts all over Causing even more insanity! 

Oop's Wrong Lever!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27874 on: February 20, 2013, 01:45:22 pm »

A giant leopard went and tore off an elven trader's nose, and my dwarves found it so hilarious that now my whole fort is filled with engravings relating to the tearing off of the elf Amoya McTrader's nose. Damn.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27875 on: February 20, 2013, 03:11:43 pm »

Well, the dwarven caravan came and parked on my depot. After some initial trading, my attention was drawn towards a nefarious dust cloud that wafted over the south-west corner of the map. After hustling everyone inside, I let it go for a bit to see which way it was going.

Turned out it was heading straight for my depot. I ordered the lever pulled to raise the bridge (recently finished, like 30 seconds before the dust cloud came). I thought to myself "hah, lets see that crap get in here now!" then I looked up a level, to the unfinished roof above half the courtyard.

Guess I should have made sure to out a roof up sooner than that, cuz now I've got 6 dead pack animals (butchered for meat and bones) and 8 dead merchants / guards (buried in a space above the forges) on my conscious. If they didn't get all buggy with having slabs engraved for them, I would have tossed them into the magma pipe I'm sitting on.

Also it would appear I cannot grow sun berries on my map. Stupid elves.

They got what they deserved, ran right out into a nefarious dust cloud and died 3 steps from the fort entrance.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:15:35 pm by Lich180 »

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27876 on: February 20, 2013, 03:47:12 pm »

A fire-breathing FB, Onam Boilwisps the Moistness of Shadows appeared in the caverns. A hairy nematode or something. It set the animals guarding the entrance aflame, got in contact with some other FB's goo, got sleepy and apparently stayed in one place for a bit too long. It's corpse is currently finishing burning down.

Maybe it's just my fortress, but FBs seem to come in waves: a few one after another, then nothing for a long time.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27877 on: February 20, 2013, 06:18:34 pm »

I have had a artifact weapon...a golden spear.

Do you think I should use it as a weapon ? (better than steel weapon ?) Too bad it wasn't a hammer...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27878 on: February 20, 2013, 06:20:58 pm »

Yes, if only because he or she who wields the golden spear posesses one of few truely functional pimp-canes.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27879 on: February 20, 2013, 07:01:41 pm »

A fire-breathing FB, Onam Boilwisps the Moistness of Shadows appeared in the caverns. A hairy nematode or something. It set the animals guarding the entrance aflame, got in contact with some other FB's goo, got sleepy and apparently stayed in one place for a bit too long. It's corpse is currently finishing burning down.

Maybe it's just my fortress, but FBs seem to come in waves: a few one after another, then nothing for a long time.
This happens to me too, but with everything. FBs, goblins, elves, megabeasts, they all come in quick succession, leaving me reeling. Then they take a break for a few boring years while I recover. Then they come again.

On another note, I finally finished slabbing the dwarves that died fighting a fire-breathing heron.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27880 on: February 20, 2013, 09:59:01 pm »

I've noticed the rotten corpses of goblins laying about the map after a dust cloud passes. First had an inkling when the wreckage of the elven caravan wag cleared,.and 2 goblin corpses were underthe piles of junk the elves dropped at my doorstep.

Then I saw, off in a remote part of the map, a few g's, and realized they hadn't generated a combat report, so the snatchers must be getting caught in the dust while sneaking, and die where they stand.

Not as funny as eagles falling out if the sky rotting to pieces.

EDIT: Must add, I have captured 2 king cobras, 1 male 1 female. Taming is now in progress.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:41:07 pm by Lich180 »

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27881 on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:33 pm »

Starting up a new fortress, somehow called "Catsmiths". I don't know, I just don't know...

The mountain/hill/thing that I'm digging into is one giant block of magnetite and rock salt. Still, I've hit granite so at least now I won't feel odd building a dining hall; Sure a giant salt room would be awesome for preserving stuff, but it'd make the booze taste freaking weird
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27882 on: February 21, 2013, 12:07:29 am »

Time passes in Razorfists.

My militia commander and most of his squad occupied the hospital for a few months.  They chased a goblin snatcher down an access tunnel and right into a goblin ambush - crossbow goblins led by a lasher.  Three dwarves wounded, including the militia commander with three torn up limbs.  The axe dwarves took apart the goblins though.

Another militia squad leader got hospitalized due to a coinstar accident.  One of his squad members was psychically notified that better armor was available and thus dropped his metal leggings right there in the coinstar room.  Said leggings flew around the room a few times and broke the captain's arm.

Two goblin sieges turned up as well.  Came into the tunnels and were then obliterated by a combination of traps and marksdwarves behind fortifications.  A number of goblins and war animals were caught in cage traps as well.  They have been pitted and used for additional marksdwarf practice.

Few interesting artifacts so far; a door, a grate, and some other furniture items in addition to the usual run of trinkets and toys.  A lot of masons in this fortress due to the continual construction along the hill sides as more bunkers and walls go up.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27883 on: February 21, 2013, 12:18:39 am »

Dorfs never cease to amaze. How about a Double Barony?
The Outpost Liason offered the chance to become a Barony, which was swiftly taken up. The Liason subsequently decided to hang out for a whole year - and nothing further was mentioned on the subject. Until the next caravan arrived. Offered a Barony, suggested candidate - now I suddenly have two slots for Baron. Presently both positions are occupied by one dorf, don't know what will happen when he carks it - and does this mean they will wind up having a Double County?  :-\
Can't abandon the fortress due to the 110 z-level Magma-Pumping Mega-Project, which has just entered the final Obsidian Tower phase.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27884 on: February 21, 2013, 01:04:28 am »

New fortress. Lunatics from last fortress show up. A child goes berzerker on me, so I enlist everyone.

. . . did a little kid just kill the commander? Shit.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1857 1858 [1859] 1860 1861 ... 3836