Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1876 1877 [1878] 1879 1880 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788018 times)

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28155 on: March 07, 2013, 02:58:49 pm »

The river he is standing near just won't do, so he bothered a dyer to fetch him a drink, who then gave him some stagnant water to choke on.
Boltfeeds is full of idiots and jerks.
The dyer was justified, the fisher was asking for it.

Food and booze is plentiful (food storage needs to be expanded constantly though, and I'm always running out of barrels, which is kind of a chore, but I'd rather have that problem than the alternative),
Have you tried making pots instead of barrels? They hold more.

Now, to the question: How does the community feel about murdering accidents with possible (hopefully) deadly outcome against children?
An Unfortunate Accident is an Unfortunate Accident.

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28156 on: March 07, 2013, 03:02:31 pm »

try some dwarven childcare!
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28157 on: March 07, 2013, 03:20:35 pm »

Food and booze is plentiful (food storage needs to be expanded constantly though, and I'm always running out of barrels, which is kind of a chore, but I'd rather have that problem than the alternative),
Have you tried making pots instead of barrels? They hold more.

Now, to the question: How does the community feel about murdering accidents with possible (hopefully) deadly outcome against children?
An Unfortunate Accident is an Unfortunate Accident.

Yeah, made pots at first, since I'm on an embark without trees, so I'm using those, too. Didn't know they could store more though, will keep that in mind. Started making barrels alongside pots since I wanted to make a surplus of storage items quickly, and then I just kept going making barrels, partly out of habit and partly because I needed my craftsdwarves making crafts for trade. But seeing as how I'm now trading bits of armor instead, I'll switch back to pots! Thanks for the advice!

Regarding the accident... Yes, I guess that's true. And my tidal wave weapon can be terribly unpredictable, I've already lost like 7 dwarves to unfortunate accidents related to it. Would really be a shame if DumbFuck would be out playing on the muddy slope, not heeding the alarm to go inside... Such a shame...
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28158 on: March 07, 2013, 04:09:11 pm »

Once again, the dwarven caravan had to arrive the moment the humans started filing out of the depot. Closed the bridge and forbade the depot, built a backup depot outside... of course they managed to scuttle a wagon and piss off without trading. I'm seriously considering magmaing dwarven caravans on principle.

The following year i had a year's backlog of old clothes and prepared meals to dump on the humans (no elves in this world), and that kept them occupied with packing up their shit until the tenth of early winter, so no collision with the dwarfs this time. I think i exported/donated about a million dwarfbucks worth of junk. I also managed to get rid of ~250 of my 350ish totems. In both trading months, there was non-stop hauling going on to unload all the unwanted stuff on the merchants.

In other news, the Deep Hall has been finished - an eight-level, 30x30ish room, full of statues, completely engraved, the works. There's a krypta below which holds shrines to the six dwarven deities that have been depicted in statues (each secured behind a =steel door=, and adorned with a piece of artefact furniture) and a memorial hall with slabs to our fortress' dead. In a niche behind the hall proper, there are also some slabs memorialising wagons that have been scuttled, i think i'm up to six total. Goddamn caravan gridlocks.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #28159 on: March 07, 2013, 04:17:52 pm »

After a feral Minotaur reaver killed the wastelander diplomat last year, this year they sent a large ambush squad of hammerponies armed with sledgehammers, and the squad leader had a dinky little revolver. My sniper cutie mark ponies armed with anti-machine rifles made short work of them. In doing so, they wasted a lot of large caliber ammo which is hard to find and expensive to manufacture. Bought some slaves from the slavers, set some free, and am going to turn the rest into robobrains armed with miniguns.

A Steel Ranger scout showed up and fired a missile at a random hauler. He missed, then fled. I wish we had caught him so we could have disassembled his power armor for study.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28160 on: March 07, 2013, 04:37:08 pm »

Splashcanyon has fallen victim to utter noble incompetence (is there any other kind?).

I decided to update my bookkeepers (former Expedition Leader) precision, and noticed that he had not only failed to achieve lowest level of precision, he had apparently not done any bookkeeping AT ALL. He had zero skill in it, which, since he doesn't have any other professions enabled, means he's been slacking off for four years, doing Armok knows what. He'd avoided his Manager position as well, seeming content with only keeping up with his quarterly broker duties. So, I swapped him out for an Administrator I had lying around, thinking that'd change things. HA! No chance there, sonny. He's just as lazy, won't even use his fine office.

Bastards, all of them. And I've gotten a good-for-nothing baron, too. Good thing is that his sole craving seems to be bolts, which I have to make frequently anyway.

On another down-note, I've realized that killing DumbFuck will be harder than I thought. Not due to any moral obligations, I'm way past that, but rather because, apparently, he's the child of my militia commander... And I'd rather not have him go berserk. So I'll need to execute DumbFuck this carefully, making sure that his daddy is happy as a pea (or is it peach? Or neither? Whatever.) before I do the deed...
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28161 on: March 07, 2013, 04:57:24 pm »

I decided to update my bookkeepers (former Expedition Leader) precision, and noticed that he had not only failed to achieve lowest level of precision, he had apparently not done any bookkeeping AT ALL.

Erm, had you actually set any precision target previously (select the bookkeeper on the nobles screen, then hit 's' for settings)? And did they actually have a personally assigned and accessible office? If either of those is missing, a bookkeeper will not do anything, ever. If the bookkeeper hasn't been keeping track of stocks for four years, that's typically a sign that the _overseer_ has been overlooking something.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28162 on: March 07, 2013, 05:04:33 pm »

Wheeledmoment has just received it's first migrants in nearly 20 years. I'm in full on suspicious mode.

The first migrant was our outpost liaison 16 years ago.
The next was liaison 17 years ago.
Last one held the same position 19 years ago.

They were ambushed by goblins shortly after entering the map. Only the last one made it inside. I'm extremely confident she isn't a vampire as she has horrible stats and no relationships besides her deity.

ramensoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28163 on: March 07, 2013, 08:42:58 pm »

Feastmetal... Oh poor Feastmetal.

The damn circus came to town. Time to watch some bearded men and ladies die.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #28164 on: March 07, 2013, 09:58:07 pm »

Huh. Did they have trading or high social skills when entering the map?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28165 on: March 07, 2013, 10:07:54 pm »

Just got a pair of master woodworkers

both possess high master tree killing and wood shaping skills, and one has high mastery of bow making. Also got a pump operator... I think I'm gonna have her set to work as a smith.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28166 on: March 07, 2013, 10:22:32 pm »

Huh. Did they have trading or high social skills when entering the map?
Dunno for the first 2, their professions were listed as Fish Dissector and Carpenter.
The last one no. She had nothing above adequate and was listed as a Brewer. She'll be mainly riding a pump until she can haul her own weight.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28167 on: March 08, 2013, 01:30:11 am »

I decided to update my bookkeepers (former Expedition Leader) precision, and noticed that he had not only failed to achieve lowest level of precision, he had apparently not done any bookkeeping AT ALL.

Erm, had you actually set any precision target previously (select the bookkeeper on the nobles screen, then hit 's' for settings)? And did they actually have a personally assigned and accessible office? If either of those is missing, a bookkeeper will not do anything, ever. If the bookkeeper hasn't been keeping track of stocks for four years, that's typically a sign that the _overseer_ has been overlooking something.

Yea, I've been thinking that I must've missed something, because this is in no way normal, but I just can't see what.

I've been doing the same thing as I've done with every fortress:
Set Expedition Leader as Manager, Broker and Bookkeeper and give him an office. I've never previously bothered with setting precision targets to anything in the beginning, it has always seemed to "work" (default will be the "Lowest" precision, and then the settings screen will say "Your bookkeeper has worked enough to achieve lowest precision" or something, right now it says "... needs to work in an office blabla"). And then I've disabled all other jobs, so that those doesn't get in the way.

The only difference that I've made that I can think of is the location of the office, previously I've always put it on the same floor that holds the bedrooms, but now I've put it on the entrance level (though it was recently relocated closer to the stocks, made more sense to me). Can't see how that'd make any difference though.

I've seen him actively use the office from time to time, but what he's been doing there, I have no idea (and yea, I've checked that I haven't accidently assigned it to him as dining room rather than office).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28168 on: March 08, 2013, 01:46:54 am »

One of my furnace dorfs went a bit funny in the head and made a fancy Greek crossbow(A gastrophetes to be specific) out of some wood and a brick of smelting waste products. It was called Depressedjades. Understandable, I'd be depressed too if I had to use smelting waste for my life's work.

EDIT: Got an adept swordsdwarf/talented weaponsmith arrive and not even a week in he gets possessed. Being weaponsmithing as his only moodable skill, he quickly rushed to claim one iron bar and and a cut amethyst. His preferences lead me to believe he will make... Evidently anything, as he has no weapon preferences.

Gameninja'd: Made an artifact morningstar named The Gravel of Distance, with an image of a wild hibiscus and mountains in amethyst.

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28169 on: March 08, 2013, 03:34:23 am »

Currently arguing with my Military trying to get my archer dorfs to work right. They seem to not want to practice anymore even though they are all equipped out and have their archery range. Other then that. farming poultry building an obsidian tower and trying to deck my army out in steel.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.
Pages: 1 ... 1876 1877 [1878] 1879 1880 ... 3835