Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1882 1883 [1884] 1885 1886 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5840248 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28245 on: March 11, 2013, 09:08:28 pm »

So, embarked on a cave in order to get ores and such for my forest retreat when I get a pickaxe from the humans, I go to see what wildlife my elves can capture and tame...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was a very pleasant surprise! I can't wait to see the civil war erupt when a thief arrives.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28246 on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:54 pm »

So, embarked on a cave in order to get ores and such for my forest retreat when I get a pickaxe from the humans, I go to see what wildlife my elves can capture and tame...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was a very pleasant surprise! I can't wait to see the civil war erupt when a thief arrives.
I thought kobold loyalty cascades only happen with hostile kobolds
Also, good news: You've got at least 200 kobolds I estimate, due to the '20 kobolds on surface' thing
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28247 on: March 11, 2013, 09:35:07 pm »

... I am very pleased by this information. Is there a way to get these kobolds to the surface? I want my elves to have a kobold in every tree apartment because awesome I want the kobolds to live in luxury, like my elves will be if I manage not to die.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

ramensoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28248 on: March 11, 2013, 09:47:13 pm »

Lashchasms is doing pretty good, Military set up and doing strong, Military meaning Archers set up on the roof of my compound + cage traps. Breached caverns, seen Creeping Eyes which are causing hella job cancellations despite the fact that they seem harmless. I've just had two sieges back to back, one only had a Goblin Lasher squad led by a swordsman, the other had a large squad of swordsmen led by a swordmaster with a herd of trolls but a dwarf caravan came right before, no skin of my nose.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28249 on: March 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm »

The caldera sealing has begun far ahead of schedule but shortly after work had finished on walling off the sides and begun on flooring the top the elves sent a few squads of mounted ambushers. It went reasonably well all things considered, we only lost 2 dwarves: a civvie and the CotG. That's probably the job with the highest turnover in my fort.

I won't be surprised if the sealing is finished in time for the tridecennial ... hmm, spellcheck says tridecennial isn't a word but triennial, tricentennial, and decennial are. Anyway, 30 year party, we'll be done with the dwarf safety cap for the mountain by then. I like getting a project completed near a multiple of 10, it makes every accomplishment seem more significant.

The military is still in it's inefficient 2-squad configuration, that's a project for a later date. Maybe the centennial.

Bhargo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28250 on: March 11, 2013, 10:20:02 pm »

I had a nice terrace on the side of a mountain with a statue garden all the nobles congregated at. Somehow a were-gecko got up there and killed 17 of them before being chased off. Now I have a combination of a tantrum spiral and were-gecko outbreak.

ramensoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28251 on: March 11, 2013, 10:22:01 pm »

I've just had YET ANOTHER siege, I think that makes 3 in this one year, and they came with a war leader and a bunch of troops, Lost about 6 good men in this bout, anyway, I captured the war leader and now I think I am going to put him, along with all his upgraded buddies, in a zoo. His lower level men however will fall prey to new my in-need-of-training recruits.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28252 on: March 11, 2013, 11:17:53 pm »

... I am very pleased by this information. Is there a way to get these kobolds to the surface? I want my elves to have a kobold in every tree apartment because awesome I want the kobolds to live in luxury, like my elves will be if I manage not to die.

In my experience, it was hard. Their friendly attribute will make them near impossible to catch with cages. They also will fend of thieves from a nearby kobold civ if any take their goodies.
You'll have to web cage traps to catch them. Unfortunately you'll have to kill some if you want any to breed.
Their cave expanded to cavern layer two in my fort that had a cave (I used legend viewer to find it)
For kobold domestication and breeding, its easier to just bring kobolds on embark yourself

They don't mind you taking their goodies and will let you trade them away.

On another note, The Channels of Allying was just attacked by a Were Chameleon
I need a way to contain the surviving farmer, since I know he/she will just regenerate next full moon.
I heard making an Island hut for he/her will work, and to isolate it by drawbridge

Nevermind
She was being fed by her husband, but then turned Werechameleon
He and her then fought visciously, steel bolts against chameleon hide (her teeth being shot out everywhere, she had a LOT of teeth)
She slew him
Made it three steps (well she clawed herself from the spot she was on presumably, her legs being disabled by one of his bolts), then died by bleeding

EDIT: Not her husband, but her friend
So now a woman lost a husband and a man lost a wife JUST GREAT
So much fun waiting for me
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:17:40 am by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #28253 on: March 12, 2013, 01:21:43 am »

In my lunchtime fort, I've begun securing a section of the first cavern, drafting everyone as masons. There was evidence of spiders, and sure enough a giant Diomedan spider started chasing my workers around. Someone got off a lucky shot and knocked it over, and when I activated the militia they were able to make short work of it. Nobody was seriously injured, and the spider tastes great with ketchup.

Up top, I got three migrants. They appeared in the section of the map where horrid goo falls from the sky. Most body parts on the first arrival were all showing yellow, the other two seemed fine -- perhaps it was worldgen injuries? perhaps the rain stopped just after he arrived? In any case, the zombie ravens made a beeline (birdline?) for them, and they scattered. They were eventually able to take down most zombies without incident, but one, a miner, had the bad luck to be knocked down and badly bruised. He passed out from exertion and a raven smashed his skull in just before another migrant put it down.

I managed to get both survivors to safety and even recovered the body and the pick. One of the ravens started moving during this operation but was re-re-killed before it could do any harm. I can't find any traces of contamination on the survivors or their gear, so they'll be admitted to the fortress and the body will be buried in the non-reanimating corner of the map.

I noticed that my civilization is called The Cream of Mushroom, so clearly I should devote most of my resources to luxury prepared meals. Caravans that brave the cold, the zombies and the evil weather will be rewarded with food the likes of which none had imagined could exist.

If I manage to find any water, I'm also sorely tempted to construct an artificial glacier using a minecart shotgun.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28254 on: March 12, 2013, 02:49:26 pm »

An x*elk bird leather robe*x ended up in one of the stockpiles feeding my jewellers, so of course our brave duchess/mayor grabbed it and went to town on it. About 25k worth of decorations shamefully diverted from our glorious hoard of rock instruments (2400 and rising). On the bright side, that lousy leather robe would have paid for all our caravan imports of the year, with a tidy profit. We just used it to clear our tab with the humans, giving them a 1000% profit on the transaction. Business as usual.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28255 on: March 12, 2013, 05:02:46 pm »

SplashCanyon just experienced its first siege in 5+ years (only had one before, I guess climbing up the mountain is a less enticing prospect even for goblins).

I was thrilled, since it, finally, gave me a chance to test my tidal wave weapon!

End result: Big, big disappointment. The goblins took my intended path up the mountain, so far, so good. I waited for them to get into perfect position, and then I pulled the lever. And sure, they were drowning and all. Occasionally. I had discounted the fact that goblins, it seems, swim rather well, even when being drenched by three z-levels of 7/7-deep water. Just enough to get up to take a breath which allows them to stay alive, at least. The fact that they had slopes to stand on (I left them to be able to lure the goblins up the mountain) might have helped them some in this, not too sure how that affects things. Either way, I was half expecting the wave to swoop them down the mountain, which sadly didn't happen, it just seemed to knock them into stuff, stunning them. I clearly need to rethink this... There has to be a way to make it work (apart from substituting water with magma).

Something that did work well though was my line of weapon traps, originally intended on keeping snatchers out.

End kill score: Tidal Wave Weapon (which I spent 3+ years working on): 2, Weapon Traps (took me a season, at most): 6...

One honourable mention however is one of my inexperienced (proficient) swordsdwarves with only three goblin snatcher kills to his name before the siege.
After most of the goblins were dead, and the rest had retreated, they left a Voracious Cave Crawler milling around the mountain, seeming lost (he moved three tiles and then back again). So, I sent my squads out to kill him, telling them to gather at a safe distance.

One dwarf, however, thought it'd be a good idea to charge the enemy alone, with the rest of the squads far from in position. Great, he's dead (or so I thought). Sure enough, it started poorly with him trying to cut the crawler in the head, the blow doing no damage whatsoever, and in turn he got smacked into the mountain. But lo and behold, he managed to turn it around, and in the end he stood as victor, with NO damage done to him whatsoever (he only got stunned during the battle).
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28256 on: March 12, 2013, 05:06:23 pm »

Horror and terror in Sternirons! A double-wammy ambush attack hit, with 4 goblin squads coming in from the fort from two ways (2 near the main gate, 2 coming from the far side where the woodcutters were) as well as a Giant Kea attack from the skies! A mechanic found himself trapped on the execution tower somehow without my knowing, and starved because I had the door locked sometime after forgetting about him.
Nobody liked him anyways.

Anyways, the 1st goblin attack on the gate came with a master thief, who stabbed a baby before being hammered off a cliff. The attack was put down by my A-Squad of legendary hammer/mace Dwarves, but not before several people were injured and the main road painted red.

In the forest, however, the 2nd ambush hit the woodcutters and injured 3 of them, but happened to kill off a majorly-popular one before being cut down by B-Squad of legendary sword,spear, and a few hammer/mace dwarves. The fort is mostly just content or happy now, instead of ecstatic, but its a tenious peace.

As for the Keas, they knocked my new mayor down a few times (they HATE my mayors) and little else before my C-Squad of archers saved the day.

In all, 2 deaths and 4 serious wounded.

However, a giant tiger with a trunk and bone wings who undulates and spits webs was found in my caverns and proceded to destroy the magma forge and is now just hovering there. I've ordered everyone out of the caverns and for a hatch to be put on the entrance up, just incase.

Even MORE trouble, a siege showed up while people were cleaning up from the ambush. Luckily, nobody died, and my squads killed off 8 of the 15-16ish-man-strong horde with only a broken toe. Victory for Sterniron's first siege!

Very eventful day, to say the least.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28257 on: March 12, 2013, 07:17:23 pm »

I noticed that my civilization is called The Cream of Mushroom . . .

That - is wonderful.  The Campbell clan should feel right at home.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

ramensoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28258 on: March 12, 2013, 07:25:48 pm »

Good god. Lashchasms is getting bombarded by LITERALLY EVERYTHING. Siege, Ambush, titan and three Forgotten Beasts in one season, this place is still kicking though.

One thing that is utterly pissing me off though, Creeping Eye job cancellations, come on Miners, they can't even reach you and they can only push you, what are you afraid of? I've seen a migrant wave walk straight towards a titan but if a tiny eye is 2 levels down, they shit their pants.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #28259 on: March 12, 2013, 08:24:35 pm »

My desert city built a giant curtain wall made of marble blocks. It's so big that it requires a squad of xbowdwarfs working full-time to patrol it properly. Then, I had a squad of humans show up mounted on giant ticks. I fought them off, but why? Why ticks?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 1882 1883 [1884] 1885 1886 ... 3836