Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1883 1884 [1885] 1886 1887 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5851694 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28260 on: March 12, 2013, 08:50:39 pm »

Lost one of the original 7, the mason/mechanic to a draltha that happened to go feral as he walked by. Sadly, the draltha had to be put down after it chased a few other dwarves around, but will be memorialized next to the O7's tomb. I really gotta get actual tombs dug up sometime, right now they are all just in a mass grave near the 10-table dining room.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28261 on: March 12, 2013, 09:41:08 pm »

My current glacier/mountain fortress Frosthall has just stepped up its candy production, after I found a massive spire of the stuff. Apparently the circus gates are quite far down the spire, too, so twenty suits of candy armour have been commissioned for my new and mostly just Competent military.
Steel production is going very well too, but I cut it down a lot after my 15, well-trained, steel-clad, axe, spear and marksdwarves were slaughtered by a sodding goblin caravan. The RNG hates me, apparently.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #28262 on: March 12, 2013, 09:52:06 pm »

Did they have whips? Those things are hilariously OP.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28263 on: March 12, 2013, 10:24:59 pm »

Currently having mass smoothing of stone for my giant underground storage sites. Which will then be engraved. Producing 90 sets of armor and weapons for my fort. Current population is 224 (wait 225 another baby just born). Still trying to attract the King, my duke went insane and died of thirst. He was furious and tantrumed to insanity when another dwarf had a royal burial chamber as did he. Apparently equality doesn't help. FPS dips to 50ish when all 220+ workers and my hundred plus animals are all pathing and active, but otherwise fine for right now. Need more sieges.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28264 on: March 12, 2013, 10:56:02 pm »

Wheeledmoment is looking wonderful. The capping was completed a year before it was originally scheduled to start. Using rock blocks is much faster than plain rocks. We lost another legendary militiadwarf in a goblin raid, the fool dodged into the only puddle of magma near the entrance that hadn't cooled since the dispenser was last tested.

We've been declared a duchy even though the dwarf who would be duke is long dead. I'm unsure as to what the next project should be, aside from getting the military straightened out.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28265 on: March 13, 2013, 01:59:04 am »

Did they have whips? Those things are hilariously OP.
They were actually a mix of hoofed draft animals, hammermen and archers. The archers were fairly ineffective, but the hoofs+hammers pounded my dwarves to pulp.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28266 on: March 13, 2013, 11:11:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Caught that in a cage trap. Should go well with the male giant I caught a few years prior.

Just gotta figure out what to do with them.

Oh, and everyone in my fort is now decked out in exceptional or above giant cave spider silk clothing thanks to the 4 legendary weavers and 2 legendary clothiers. Gonna leave them go for a year or two so a nice stockpile is built up, then let them relax a bit
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:53:39 am by Lich180 »

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28267 on: March 13, 2013, 05:40:11 pm »

The mountainhomes have ordered a magma pump stack constructed! They have sent seven dwarves to found the outpost Munèstsazir -- Grovebridges -- an annoyingly elfin name that can only have been chosen to mislead the tree-huggers. Nobody knows yet what just what the regent is planning, but there will surely be suitably dwarfy!

The initial outpost has been constructed: small farms, carpentry, masonry, and a small dining room with nearby bedrooms. A smelting operation has been dug out to produce the bismuth bronze bars the mountainhomes have sent with the initial caravan to outfit the military guard that will arrive in later migrant waves. Why they insisted as such is unclear -- there are whispers that the metalsmith Kulet "Combinedoil" Artobuzol  pulled some strings to indulge his tastes.

The initial mining stairwell to uncover the layout of the underground found only the first cavern (I think I need to stop digging my exploratory mines exactly in the center of a 4x4 map -- I might have better luck trying to dig in the middle of one of the tiles).

The next stairwell has better luck, breaching both caverns, and discovering a magma pool in the third cavern filled nearly to the level of the second cavern (which wasn't very far).

Unfortunately, in their infinite wisdom, the mountainhomes did not pick a site with sand. Despite flux, shallow metals, and deep metals, it appears to fail to have iron as well. I haven't dug out much yet, but my first stone layer is Gneiss; I'm very much a newbie at DF geology, but the wiki says that's metamorphic, and I think that means there's no chance of iron. :(

But there is garnierite! I always feel a little silly to be happy to have nickel, but there you have it. I've seen lots of galena and cassiterite deep down too, and a bit of gold. Maybe I should do that minting commemorative coins thing, minting a stack of several types of metal each year.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28268 on: March 13, 2013, 06:31:43 pm »

Axehole is starting Operation "Right-Wing Conservative Metal" in which all bronze gauntlets and high boots, all 80 total, are being melted down to be replaced with copper. The bronze will be repurposed so every meleedorf gets a bronze helm, breastplate, mail shirt, and greaves and not have to use wooden armor to protect their vitals. A large number of trees have been ordered chopped and burned into coal to feed the forges. We have no magmasafe materials at the moment to build the magma forges and furnaces, so charcoal will have to do.

In other news, we caught some human necromancers in a cage trap. I'll have to think of how to make use of them. I'm thinking of maybe setting up a zombie pit for when I unleash the HFS and use the necros to keep raising the corpses to fight the clowns. If I can catch some cave crocs for breeding, then all the better for my throwing in the zombie pit.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28269 on: March 13, 2013, 07:40:07 pm »

The caverns of Sterniron are burning! A feathered crocodile that undulates and breaths fire came down into the
!!CAVERNS!! and turned one of the marksdwarves I sent after it (it was standing on a cliff and could not reach them, I underestimated it's range) is now a !!marksdwaf!! The monster has forced me to close the hatch down there, and left 2 or 3 people down in the flames to fend for !!themselves!!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28270 on: March 13, 2013, 08:49:02 pm »

Axehole just had its first siege, following on the tails of the dwrven caravan. The goblin forces were a bit late though, and arrived several days after the caravan and the single squad of gobbo spearmen found themselves faced with squads of axedwarves and bolts and arrows flying down on them from the battlements.

The Treebeards of the Spears of Heart are vicious soldiers indeed. Despite being armed with wood training axes and wood shields, they've brutally pounded the goblin spearmen, and two more of the Treebeards have earned titles. Hail Ral Yellwheel the Granite Conjurers of Hailing! Hail Tun Fingerletter the Brown Genius of Admiring! Tun Fingerletter celebrated his crowning by biting the last goblin in the arm and tearing it from the socket with his teeth.

Remind me to not mess with the axelords of the Spears of Heart.

A few dwarves suffered injuries, none fatal, and are moving themselves to the hospital. The worst was a baby carried into battle by the Axedorf Morul Posthandled, who also earned the title The Ochre Fish of Autonomy in this battle. In her bloodlust Morul forgot about the safety of her meatshield child and as a result the kid is little more than a limp sack of flesh. The kid's upperspine is busted and he has several cuts and gashes. Oh, and his pancreas is broken too.

Anyway, the goblinite shall be collected and melted down. Oddly enough, the goblins were all wearing leather armor rather than mail or breastplates.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28271 on: March 13, 2013, 08:54:47 pm »

You know what the best part of having a tame GCS is?

That's right, catching forgotten beasts in webbed cage traps.

That is taken from the first test firing of my attempt at weaponizing a fire-breathing forgotten beast. He is caged in the first, topmost panel, and when released sees the cat stationed on the other side of the fortification, and breathes a plume of flame towards it.

What you don't see (because I had to go to class, and couldn't get a picture of it) is the ensuing brush fire taking out my entire above ground area. I thought my walls would be enough, but I guess the flames were a bit too vigorous. I'll have to redesign that mechanism a little bit...

Does anyone know if forgotten beasts will attack goblins automatically, or do I need to provide sacrifices incentive?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28272 on: March 13, 2013, 09:34:08 pm »

They should immediately assault any goblins they see, yeah.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28273 on: March 13, 2013, 09:49:58 pm »

Sweet.

My crundles have finally hatched some babies. And they promptly escaped confinement, and are terrorizing the patrons of the fine Cavern 2 dining room.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #28274 on: March 13, 2013, 10:55:48 pm »

Work on securing the (dry) first cavern continues. A nice big chunk is blocked to anyone but fliers, so now comes the tedious business of sealing off the tops of my walls. One section got priority because my winged ponies were pathing through it; this and the flier pathfinding limitations led to three getting briefly trapped outside the perimeter. I dug a path to let them escape, but forgot to seal it, so now there are some troglodytes wandering about in need of killin'.

I attempted to seize the second cavern, but while scouting, a giant toad got a lucky shot on one of my founders, crushing his skull. In revenge, his squadmate the bat-pony drained the toad dry before taking out his aggression on a giant olm.

The dead soldier came back but was put down again without incident. Worse was what happened with the toad: it fought a pitched battle with a draftee, who slew it but bled to death soon after. With her gone I'm back down to seven workers. I can't risk losing any more, so I'm pulling them back out of the cavern with the bodies, if possible, and what lumber they managed to snatch.

Worse is what the ill-fated patrols didn't find: unless it's hiding in the southeast or northwest corner, there's no water in the second cavern. I'll seal the second cavern and dig for the third.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:25:48 am by fourpotatoes »
Pages: 1 ... 1883 1884 [1885] 1886 1887 ... 3836